It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Quadrupeds Found In Turkey (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
A family of 5 human quadrupeds (walks on all fours) has been discovered in Turkey. Scientists speculate that a genetic defect prevents members of the family from walking naturally on two legs. Two sisters, and one son from the family have never walked upright whilst others in the family occassionally walk on two feet. All 5 of the family members who walk on all fours are also mentally retarded and have trouble with language. Scientists are surprised that this kind of behaviour is possible with a modern human skeleton.

news.yahoo.com
LONDON (AFP) - The discovery of a Turkish family that walks on all fours could aid research into the evolution of humans.

Researchers believe the five brothers and sisters, who can walk naturally only on all fours, may provide new information on how humans evolved from four-legged hominids to walk upright.

Nicholas Humphrey, evolutionary psychologist at the London School of Economics, told The Times the discovery opened "an extraordinary window on our past".

"I do not think they were designed to be quadrupeds by their genes, but their unique genetic make-up allowed them to be," he said.

"It has produced an extraordinary window on our past. It is physically possible, which noone would have guessed from the [modern] human skeleton."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a pretty interesting story, who'd of thought that the only thing preventing modern homo sapiens from being quadrupeds were our genes? Physiology apparently plays no part in us walking up right.

No doubt this will become a famous case study for the theory of evolution. We can obviously see the benefits of walking on two legs, it frees the hands for other tasks, but when denied the capacity through a genetic defect our bodies more than adequately revert to quadrupetal movement. Amazing.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I read this earlier today in a newspaper, that report also said that the skin on their hands was the same thickness as the skin on the soles of their feet. The first thing that struck me about the report was the photograph. These people have been running around on all fours their entire life, since birth, using their hands in a completely equal manner to their feet, essentially as a second pair of feet, yet the entire family is wearing shoes? Just on their real feet? Isn't that a little strange? Surely they would either wear no shoes atall, or shoes on their feet and some form of shoes/glove on their hands? To have two pairs of feet and wear one pair of shoes, that doesn't seem quite right to me.....surely that would be like you or I walking around everyday wearing just one shoe....???

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Times Online Has a photo.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This is absolutely rediculous! It is not to be believed!
I will wager that there are almost NO Republican politicians in Turkey on any given day...therefore the chance of seeing a human walking on all four is almost nil. Rumors like this are the very same kind of liberal ranting and mantra handed down by Mark Twain, or Will Rogers or Jimmy Carter.
We need to praise and glorify our leeders for life and stop saying that Republicans go to far away places and walk like they do at home!
I'm agin it that whut I be.
skep

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This family is not the result of inbreeding and that is not a cool thing to say about a family that is described as having "tremendous warmth and humanity."

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I am sorry...
first off... republicans have nothing to do with this issue...

Second: so the fact that these people dont have the natural balance or the natural agility due to a mental and physical defect is less than spectacular..

They get by the way they can... simple...
If I was born, and could only get around by using all fours, then so be it... I crawl...

If they want to study bipedal humans in quad form, why not just hit the bars on saturday night?

I also suspect that there is a bit of media hype here, as they would surely have been using that marvel called "gloves"...

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Haha, actually umbrax if you read the links you'd notice that the father and mother were very closely related and has resulted in a regress to 'backwards evolution'.
www.dailymail.co.uk...
Thus the tag was apt as they were inbred and tbh freaks.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I think this is more likely an adaptation to a problem that impairs their upright balance, rather than some evolutionary throwback. Odd adaptations are not all that uncommon. Some may have seen the documentary of the woman whose legs were amputated in infancy and who gets around on her hands and a skateboard. There have been documentaries of conjoined twins who must make almost unthinkable accommodations for each other, both physically and emotionally. I saw a one-legged man playing basketball with no prosthesis on television once and I used to know a one-armed man who was an automobile mechanic.

One thing I did notice about the quadrupedal family is that they have unusually wide hips.

Lori and Reba Schappell (click for story)

[edit on 2006/3/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Here's another story of a triumph of human will over adversity.

video.msn.com

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Here's a video of this family:

video.msn.com

join