It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to speed up your computer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
All of these are good suggestions. The 'startup' folder is one I forgot...typically use 'msconfig'...it was missing in 2K but replaced in XP.

One more thing...with XP, go into 'Control Panel' and 'adjust visual effects for best performance'. The bling takes away alot of resources.

NC

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Here is speed tweak I use, it is from BlackViper.com.(This is actually an archive, BlackViper no longer exists as of 2004.)

Use this to turn off Windows "Unneeded Services"and free up 12-70 MB of RAM, depending on system.

He has pages for Windows XP SP2, and Windows 2000, I have been using the "SAFE" configuration for Windows XP with no problems. I have never tried the other configs because I need the network and printer services running, I guess if I did nothing but play games on it I would use the BareBones config.
Anyway, give it a try and let me know what you think.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
M$ is introducing a new concept for it's new Vista operating system."

It is called "SuperFetch".

It basicly lets you plug in a external storage device like a usb drive (read thunmbdrive) and use it as a virtual memary area (read paging file)

Gee, who would have ever thought of this, oh I did:
www.belowtopsecret.com...

This was read in CPU magazine March/06 page 55-sorry no online ref.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
M$ is introducing a new concept for it's new Vista operating system."

It is called "SuperFetch".

It basicly lets you plug in a external storage device like a usb drive (read thunmbdrive) and use it as a virtual memary area (read paging file)

Gee, who would have ever thought of this, oh I did:
www.belowtopsecret.com...

This was read in CPU magazine March/06 page 55-sorry no online ref.

That’s not quite like that, "SuperFetch" is not a virtual memory area, its a way of speeding the access to some data and applications, like Windows XP does with "Pre-fetch".

And I do not believe that any USB device can be faster than a ATA or SATA disk, contrary to what Microsoft says.

In this link they explain it all.

They also speak of the wear of the USB drives, they say that they use an algorithm to prevent the excessive use of any part of the drive, one of the biggest problems with flash memory.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join