It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

female comdians

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowflake_obsidian
I like vulgarity in female comedy when it's done in moderation. I agree that it can be way overdone from both men and women. However it seems the male comedians get applauded when they are overly vulgar, and I personally don't think its funny when either gender overdoes it.

I agree, to an extent, and I think that is Grady's point. Excessive use -vs- Supportive use.

In my opinion, for any comedian to come on stage and base the majority of their routine on vulgar and explicit references at every turn, greatly detracts from their appeal. Don't get me wrong, when used in a supportive manner to emphasize a point or situation it can actually add to the impact of a given joke or portrayal of a scenario. Sadly, I think we are seeing more and more comics relying solely on the "shock" factor in their attempts at humoring the audience. Actually, what I find even more disheartening is the fact that there seems to be no shortage of attendants willing to pay for such.

I am in no way stodgy nor offended by such, I just think that method of delivery and approach to humor tends to lose it's appeal after the first 5 minutes or so.

[edit: ?sp]

[edit on 3/13/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Chris Rock is hysterical, vulgar or otherwise.

The same goes for Ron White.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Ron White is one of the best comedians around.

This just has to be seen... After bashing any women and saying they are only to be used for their good looks.. he comes with the exception..

If someone can name me a funny female comedian, let me know. If there is any exception to the rule - maybe I would say Whoopi Goldberg, but thats one in 2 billion!

WHOOPI! Are you kidding me? Whoopi Goldberg? This has to be a joke? Is this a practical joke being played on me and I just don't know it. You say the strangest things and see what kind of reaction you get? WHOOPI GOLDBERG? Funny? What?

I'll go with the center square... Whoooooopi Gooooldberg! No thanks I'll go with Gilbert Godfried! Please tell me this is a joke.

Man this has got me emotional, Whoopi Goldberg.

Ok im done, over and out.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

If someone can name me a funny female comedian, let me know. If there is any exception to the rule - maybe I would say Whoopi Goldberg, but thats one in 2 billion!

WHOOPI! Are you kidding me? Whoopi Goldberg? This has to be a joke? Is this a practical joke being played on me and I just don't know it. You say the strangest things and see what kind of reaction you get? WHOOPI GOLDBERG? Funny? What?

I'll go with the center square... Whoooooopi Gooooldberg! No thanks I'll go with Gilbert Godfried! Please tell me this is a joke.

Ok im done, over and out.

Yeah I aqree, Whoopi isn't all that funny to me. I much prefer her serious movie roles like her role in the movie "The Color Purple" rather than her comedy roles.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
Ron White is one of the best comedians around.

This just has to be seen... After bashing any women and saying they are only to be used for their good looks.. he comes with the exception..

Yes, I do find Whoopi funny in her standup acts - not in her movies. If a woman were to be funny she would have to be black. And what makes her more funny is that shes not afraid to curse.

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by croatianguy

Yes, I do find Whoopi funny in her standup acts - not in her movies. If a woman were to be funny she would have to be black. And what makes her more funny is that shes not afraid to curse.

Stop it...you're killing me!

So in order for a woman to be funny she has to be black and curse a lot. Well this contradicts your entire first post because there are a ton of black female comedians who curse. Haven't you seen The Queens Of Comedy?

posted on Mar, 17 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Female comedians are a minority really. A growing minority though, which can only be good, as long as they are funny. I think women have a tough time doing comedy because they have difficulty laughing at themselves. INMO anyway.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
Female comedians are a minority really. A growing minority though, which can only be good, as long as they are funny. I think women have a tough time doing comedy because they have difficulty laughing at themselves. INMO anyway.

The problem is, they aren't funny. That's the point.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Heh. French and Saunders aren't very funny. Neither is Karen Dunbar. She's a Scottish comedien who makes me retch. Not funny at all. I've yet to see a female comedian who can make me laugh. Though I'm sure that someday I will. Hope is important.

posted on Mar, 18 2006 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Ummmm....

Lisa Lampanelli

NEEEEXT!!!!

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
Lisa Lampanelli

NEEEEXT!!!!

If I had to sit through her garbage, that's what I'd be saying too.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
ooooh - Nice comeback

Your momma's sooo.....

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Women can be funny. I remember an ex girlfriend who walked into a glass door and knocked herself out. I swear I didn't laugh.

posted on Mar, 20 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Man you have made some comments that are right out their.

I hate all female comedians. None of them are funny. Why do some women think they are funny - they are not. No matter how hard I try, I cant laugh at any of them or their jokes. Women are meant to be admired for their beauty - not for their sense of humor.

Maybe some of us will sit back, you can fight back and forth with yourself.. whoever comes out on top the rest of us will take on.

No women are funny! They should wear an apron and stay in the kitchen. But wait, the black ones who curse alot are allowed to tell a joke or two.

Thats harsh.

Why does skin color have anything to do with being funny?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join