It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the media portray society accurately in its shows and commercials and even in the movies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
This is my first post so bear with me please...

Id like to kno if anyone else notices how certain ethnic groups are portrayed in certain situations.

for example in the movies....or on t.v. shows...or even in commercials...

and is this possibly a way for the mass media to ...well not so much control...but almost direct a specific way of thinking among the viewers.

we all hear about how violence in the news or the movies....or even video games leads to viewers of all ages to reflect what they see on the screen.

but, is it me or am i the only one noticing a trend in the media of portraying certain groups in certain ways?

and is this a grander scheme of " programming " or is this just the way things are done>?

I would like to know how all of you feel....and if you have any questions for me go on ahead and ask...

AND....last but not least...since this is my first post...if this is in the wrong category...please redirect me...

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Great first post! Welcome to ATS.

To answer your question, the answer is no, very few items in the media portray life how it really is and that, to me, is upsetting. I have yet to see something that actually portrays life in America how it is without putting some spin on it. I consider this a cancer, because this is leading to a detachment amongst people since they are constantly disenchanted and disgruntled over the fact that the media presents so much of something they cannot and probably will never have.

I for one want something to tell it like it is for just once.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Scientist. THey are continually protrayed as nerds, mad, crazy, dillusional or outcast in some manner. Why? No one realy knows.

Most of all it is important to remember that all television shows and movies are fictional, even those that claim a basis ona true story or there abouts.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:45 PM
link   
To me a lot of tv is all about sterotypes. I could see how it would be easy to fall back on a sterotype when you don't know what your really talking about, because all of the other uninformed masses can relate too. Just like all those medical and doctor shows, my mom is a lab tech and she thinks all those shows are dumb, but to everyone else that doesn't really know what their talking about they might be a little more tolerable.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I thank everyone for their replies...

top topics

join