It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enough Oil Below Ocean Floor To Last 50 000 years

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tommio
Even if that was possible imagine how much damage would be done the earth after 50,000 years of using fossil fuels... Global warming gone crazy. Money should be put into deveolping alternative fuels not developing new way to drill for oil.

You have to admit, it would be fun to look at the earth after 50,000 years of fossil fuel use; it would be similar in appearance to a larger moon with alot less craters and a dirtier surface.

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by malagant

You have to admit, it would be fun to look at the earth after 50,000 years of fossil fuel use; it would be similar in appearance to a larger moon with alot less craters and a dirtier surface.

Actually it would look more like Venus, Much more atmosphere not less or none. Venus is what happens when green house gases go wild

posted on Apr, 2 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Being a very conservative oil user (hahaha, just kidding, i drive a 7000 lb truck that gets like 10 miles to the diesel gallon, lol)

Ok, I dont know why i did that, I wanted to be a smartass...
Aside from that...

I honestly wish that right now, tonight, we would run out of oil.

Or or or, prices would go up to like 15 bucks a gallon right now.. Or 500 bucks a gallon, the more the better...
Why would I want such crazy things? Things that would kill our entire ecomony and bring chaos to the world as we know it...???

It wouldnt take long for our instincts to kick it. We need to transport things, as well as ourselves.

If you were under water, and you ran out of air, would you just sit there, kickin back like its all good, and drown..
Would you freak out and squirm around and go crazy about it, and drown.
Or would you go, Ok, time has come, instincts kicked in, time to get my own damned air, cuz this water aint givin it to me...

Point is, we would, very quickly, look into other ways to get things done.

Electricity, Propane, Natural Gas, BioDiesel fuel, hydrogen, solar, etc.

Theyre all right there, but no one uses them.
Why? Because oil companies dont want you to.
The end result, we would become much less dependant, and then, oil companies would go bye bye one at a time.
Our government would get alot less money.
the environment would be better off, etc etc etc

Its just an all around much better thing.

Here is a story, not sure how true it is, but its something a friend of mine told me, a good friend of mine...

About a year and a half ago, my friends dad had a good friend that bought a Honda Insight, brand new from the dealer. He bought i beleive a 2006 when it was FIRST released. Fresh out' the oven, if you will.
Well, he loved the car. But yea, who doesnt love theyre new car?
I guess he figured, I should buy this thing its it gets insanely good mileage.
Well, anywhoo, the dealer called like 2 weeks or so after he bought it, as lots of dealers do, just to check up on him, see how he liked the car, etc etc.

Well, he said he loved the car, had no problems with it, and was so glad that he bought a car that gets 210-230 miles per gallon.

So, about a week later, this man wakes up, around 4 in the morning, puts on his casual cup of coffee. It is still dark out around a half an hour later after he puts some clothes on and goes out to get the paper out of his driveway...

He walks out of the house, to see a van parked in front.

He turns the corner of the garage, and low and behold, he sees 5 men, in black mechanics jumpsuits, diggin throughout his vehicle.
He says "What the **". The men look up at him, very camly pull themselves out of the vehicle in a calm, harmless manner, proceed to close the hood of his car, close the doors, lock the car (after they closed the doors), walk casually over to the van, and drive off.

Nothing was taken from the car. And they didnt break into it.

According to him, he now gets around 70-ish miles to the gallon.

Who knows if this story is true or not, but I completely beleive it.

Point here is, oil companies control everything when it comes to this stuff.

Its like our protection from terrorists. We dont need it. We are better off without it. But alot of people dont see that, and that is good for men that can purchase $50,000 trans-gender prostitutes...

(I have no basis for the prostitute thing, i was just bad mouthing the very rich jerks in this world that care about no one but themselves)

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I have been thinking about this for a few minutes, and I was wondering, even if the article held some truth, who would claim the rights to drill the ocean's oil? I very could be wrong (and if I am, by all means, correct me please) but, isn't the ocean free of a government so to speak? If so, it would be a rather interesting situation to watch play out

Here is a page I came across some time ago, some of it's claims are pretty fascinating.

oiltruth.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Posted by Rizien: “I have been thinking about this and I was wondering, even if (1) the article held some truth, who would claim the rights to drill the ocean's oil? I could be wrong but, isn't the ocean (2) free of a government so to speak? If so, it would be a rather interesting situation to watch play out. [Edited by Don W]

Rizen, a great post! An even greater link. I like it because it is calmly responsible, not wildly hypothetical. Several years ago I heard exerts of books by two men whose names now escape me. One was in oil industry financing and the other was into the predicting of how much oil remains to be discovered. The first fellow had worked for the Aramco Oil Co in the 1970s, when the last (maybe the only) competent survey of oil reserves in the Persian Gulf was done, according to him. The other fellow used the exploration of the United States as his basis for predicting how much oil is out there, all around the earth, yet to be found. Hubbert, maybe?

(1) Geologists tell us the ocean floor is barely 70 million years old, whereas oil is found on the continental shelves upwards of 1.5 to 4 billion years old. Most oil is thought to have been produced slowly over several 100s of millions of years. If this is the case, then there is not much oil to be found on the sea bottom. Plate tectonics, subduction and all that.

(2) Well, Rizen, international law is evolving. Recall the arguments over the wreckage of the Titanic. Recall also how almost all nations now claim a 200 miles “economic zone” of influence. Some, like Peru, claim 400 miles. Law schools used to teach that claims incapable of enforcement were best ignored. I’m not sure how that works today. There is a UN treaty on the subject. In the 1920s, during the time of Prohibition, America claimed a 3 mile territorial limit. Today the US claims 12 miles. And most likely, we can enforce it, unless it is the importation of coc aine or mj which seems to defy effective control. Why is that?

Next, recall the 1970s Glomar Challenger? In 1968, a USSR sub sank in 18,000 feet of water about 1,500 miles west of Hawaii. It was believed to have imploded. Too deep. In 1974, the CIA and Howard Huge’s company was more or less successful in the recovery of at least a part of the submarine.

I personally think probably to avoid a confrontation with the USSR, the USA claimed the sub had broke apart during the lift and most of it fell back into the deep. The US did bring up enough of the sub to find the remains of 8 USSR crewmen who were then re-buried at sea, with I suppose, the CIA reading the last rites? Whether we got any of the Russian nukes is still classified. The Glomar Challenger has since been scrapped and replaced.

"What About Biofuels Such as Ethanol and Biodiesel?"
Biofuels such as biodiesel, ethanol, methanol etc. are great, but only in small doses. Biofuels are all grown with massive fossil fuel inputs (pesticides and fertilizers) and suffer from horribly low, sometimes negative, EROEIs. The production of ethanol, for instance, requires six units of energy to produce just one. That means it consumes more energy than it produces and thus will only serve to compound our energy deficit. There is the problem of where to grow the stuff, as we are rapidly running out of arable land on which to grow food, let alone fuel. This is no small problem as the amount of land it takes to grow even a small amount of biofuel is quite staggering. Relying on corn for our future energy needs would devastate the nation's food production. It takes 11 acres to grow enough corn to fuel one automobile with ethanol for 10,000 miles, or about a year's driving. That's the amount of land needed to feed seven persons for the same period of time. If we decided to power all of our automobiles with ethanol, we would need to cover 97 percent of our land with corn. Biodiesel is considerably better than ethanol, (and probably the best of the biofuels) but with an EROEI of three, it still doesn't compare to oil, which has had an EROEI of about 30.

"What's Going to Happen to the Economy?"
The US economy is particularly vulnerable to the coming oil shocks as we consume a greater proportion of the world's oil than any other nation. The unparalleled prosperity experienced in this country during the last 100 years was built entirely on cheap oil. The mass production of automobiles became a cornerstone of the US economy while allowing people to move out of the cities and into the suburbs. The expansion of the suburbs fueled the real estate and housing booms of the 20th century, which in turn fueled the US steel, copper, construction, etc. industries. A system of finance sprung up that facilitated these booms while becoming dependent on them. The affordability of the individual automobile and petroleum based fuels combined with the growth of the suburbs contributed to the destruction of the US mass transit system.

How Are People Likely to React to This?
As the US economy begins to disintegrate, civil unrest may become increasingly violent and widespread. Each faction of the American body-politic will likely rally around reactionary political demagogues/movements who promise to bring back the good days by eliminating whatever domestic or foreign group(s) they have decided are at fault for the economic and geopolitical unraveling. Liberals will blame "Bush, Big-Oil and the Hard Right Neocons" while conservatives will blame "Bin-Laden, Big-Government, and the Extreme Left Environmentalists." The anticipation of massive unrest may be the real reason why the Department of Homeland Security has contracted with a Halliburton subsidiary to build massive new domestic detenetion camps. In 1985, the authors of Beyond Oil: The Threat to Fuel and Food in the Coming Decades, warned us of such possiblities: From oiltruth.com...

[edit on 4/13/2006 by donwhite]

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Thanks. Glad you liked the site.

I am pretty interested in seeing how it will all play out in the years that follow.
Even if there were vast amounts of oil hidden beneath the ocean, and even if the world managed to work out some sort of agreement on territories, I think we should be moving toward an alternate energy source.

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
What does it even matter??

No matter what you say or do the vast majourity of idiots within the human species do exactly what you or me or anyone else in the western world does.
We consume, we consume like theres no tomoro. If there was a tomoro where we all decided to just chill for 1 minute and look at what were wasting...Maybe sombody with some power would do somthing...I was Realy pissed off when bush didnt sighn the kyoto protocol. America is the biggest consumer in the world.. and hes worried about what.. TAX!!!

Even if we decided from today onward we will be good lil humans and stop driving our fuel guzzling cars or stop buying so much plastic... PLASTIC,,,,with no oil we have no plastic... COULD YOU IMAGINE what our lives would be like without plastic...I cahllange anyone right this second to look on there computer desks and tell me how much plastic you can see. Well its ok we can go back to wood..right?
Whats wood... you mean trees??... those funny tall things we cut down for everything but what we need it for... to breathe!!

Right now i see humanity sinking into a phase we can't even begin to imagine. If you think about it like...well my great great gan daddy didnt need oil.. he was fine.
Well in 2013 were gonna have a population of 7 billion, what the hell are 7 billion people going to do when theres no way to move.

Good luck

[edit on 15-4-2006 by Apoplexy123]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
C'mon.. 50000 years digging for oil..
Earth will have a big hole,
Global warming
and other environment problem.

Rather use problem-free energy source like Solar energy, wind energy and so on.
I awaiting nuclear FUSION (NOT FISSION). The most cheap, free and renewable source. It is like having a Sun on Earth that able to be control and use as a energy source. The first fusion reactor had been built and test(AMAZINGLY, SUCCESS
). Will be in service SOON, let just wait

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phre0nBurn

Here is a story, not sure how true it is, but its something a friend of mine told me, a good friend of mine...

About a year and a half ago, my friends dad had a good friend that bought a Honda Insight, brand new from the dealer. He bought i beleive a 2006 when it was FIRST released. Fresh out' the oven, if you will.
Well, he loved the car. But yea, who doesnt love theyre new car?
I guess he figured, I should buy this thing its it gets insanely good mileage.
Well, anywhoo, the dealer called like 2 weeks or so after he bought it, as lots of dealers do, just to check up on him, see how he liked the car, etc etc.

Well, he said he loved the car, had no problems with it, and was so glad that he bought a car that gets 210-230 miles per gallon.

So, about a week later, this man wakes up, around 4 in the morning, puts on his casual cup of coffee. It is still dark out around a half an hour later after he puts some clothes on and goes out to get the paper out of his driveway...

He walks out of the house, to see a van parked in front.

He turns the corner of the garage, and low and behold, he sees 5 men, in black mechanics jumpsuits, diggin throughout his vehicle.
He says "What the **". The men look up at him, very camly pull themselves out of the vehicle in a calm, harmless manner, proceed to close the hood of his car, close the doors, lock the car (after they closed the doors), walk casually over to the van, and drive off.

Nothing was taken from the car. And they didnt break into it.

According to him, he now gets around 70-ish miles to the gallon.

Who knows if this story is true or not, but I completely beleive it.

total bs. honda made the first insight in 2001 not 2006.

the insight gets only 66 mpg under very consevitive driving in the city. it never got anywhere near 100mpg let alone 200.

he only got 70mpg before and gets 70mpg now

but hey since you believe it, then have i got a deal on a bridge for you and i'll even throw in a tunnel at no cost if you pay cash

top topics

<< 1   >>

join