It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Give up your real names and addresses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Do you think this piece of legislation will actually work? This is mainly aimed at those who run ATS. If this piece of legislation passed, would you give in, or fight till your last breath to protect the annonymity of those who rely on it here?

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
how nice.....how much you wanna bet that the danged politicians will be the ones making the most requests as to who is posting bad comments about them.....

this thing would kill the online forums. no one will want to host them. but that's okay, because I don't think many will be wanting to post to them.

what a shame!!!

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Free and annonymous expression. The one thing that makes those in power cringe. Bye Bye

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 04:35 PM
link   
That is not good. I can see what hey are protecting some people against, but it's not something that applies to a well moderated forum liek ATS. When that happens the router can go in the bin.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I have to agree that anonymity is what has made the internet what it is. I for one, prefer to remain anonymous, but the fact is that my ISP knows who I am, where I live and how to get in touch with me, so I guess in reality, I am not actually anonymous, after all. I tend to think that such legislation would simply hold netizens to the same legal standard that we are held to as citizens. I would hope that that would be the end result.

By the very fact of my anonymity or perhaps, protected identity, I cannot be defamed, at least that would be my understanding of the law. You can say what you will about GradyPhilpott, but as long as no one knows who GradyPhilpott really is, then you can't really damage the reputation of a pseudonym.

It would be a shame if the free exchange of ideas is somehow squelched because forums such as this cannot bear the liability imposed by well-meaning, but idiotic legislation.

[edit on 2006/3/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

02/06/2002 - Updated 05:20 PM ET

Court upholds anonymous Net posting decision

By Michael Bartlett, Newsbytes

The Appellate Division of the New Jersey Superior Court on Wednesday upheld an earlier N.J. Superior Court ruling that a corporation cannot unmask the identity of an anonymous user of an Internet message board because it did not demonstrate that it suffered "harm" as a result of the user's posts.

The unanimous decision by the N.J. Appellate Court's three-judge panel found that N.J. Superior Court Judge Kenneth MacKenzie was correct when he ruled that Dendrite International could not discover the true name of a John Doe defendant.

It looks like this won't get much further than men's room wallpaper.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 04:32 AM
link   
That is good that it has been up held other wise it was abit more freedom taken away.
Three-judge panel hey..cool

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Well we're safer for longer. I can see all sorts of problems arising from something like this if it did go through. At the end of the day, like Grady said, the Government is pretty much able to trace anyone if they really need to. Obviously they don't crack down on everyone that speaks against them otherwise ATS for instance would be a lonely place!
But the idea that any old wacko who thinks his the leader of some resistance could find out who and where I live so he could be some sort of hero and kill who he thinks is an evil gubmint person would be quite disturbing.

[edit on 7-3-2006 by AgentSmith]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   
If they want your real name they can get it. They where trying to make it easier.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
If they want your real name they can get it. They where trying to make it easier.

I know, I think they were just wanted to become blatent about their spying to let us know who's boss.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
They may have DHS and Spooks working for the, but we have "the three amigo's" to protect us.

As usually, SO has worked to protect us, resolve our fears and contine the best board on the net.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
They already have your name if they want it. Maybe not everyone, but most of us. I dont care. My local gov't knows how I feel. I dont hide behind the screen name.

But just curious; I forget what info I gave when I signed up. Can they "discover" me if I am using another computer other than one with an ip addressed by my personally billed isp? Assuming my email is bunk of course...which it is....

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I for one find it hard to believe that the likes of the NSA who can break Russian codes, but can't track and find someones true name or location.
Trust me they can

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I would leave ATS before I would give over my real name and location to make it easier for some government agency to bust me for defaming someone. Say... President George W. Bush?

It is tedious, but not impossible to find out who people "really" are. It should not ever be easier than that.

posted on Mar, 14 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
If my memory serves me right, this bill was out of New Jersey??

If so, I think it's DOA....

www.informationweek.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   
The internet, the last remaining bastion of anonymous free speech. You knew it was only a matter of time before they got around to taking it over and ruining it for everyone. Everyone knows that the powers that be don't like people being able to communicate freely. If this bill doesn't pass, the next one probably will. God forbid people start thinking for themselves and going against the grain. Oh well.

top topics

join