It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elephant implicated in Nessie sighting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
This is great - research by Neil Clark, curator of palaeontology at Glasgow University's Hunterian Museum, has thrown up an interesting idea about nessie sightings. It comes down to trunk, head and backsides being visable above the waterline as the elephant swims about below.

Even if he's wide of the mark, it's a great story anyway, about circus elephants being given a rest on the shores of Loch Ness.

"The circuses used to take the road up to Inverness and allow their animals to have a rest, swim about in the loch and refresh themselves,"

The rest of the story is here, on the BBC news website.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
lol, I heard this on XFM Scotland this morning I laughed my ass off... If nessie is there then fair play to her - she keeps herself to herself and thats cool, it's nice for the tourists..

But....

This elephant story, surely there can't be an elephant in there everytime she is spotted. I know fishermen who live up there who have sworn that they have seen the damn thing up close. Now i'm sure they would post their findings on the net if they actually knew what a computer was, but alas they don't

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 04:04 PM
link   
After reading the article and a few years of hearing of the hoaxes and other undocumented sightings,also including the reported sightings as well, I find the theory a bit far fetched . You would think if they had a stray elephant or elephant's , someone would surely know about them. Not only that,sounds as if it has been some time since a circus has come to town.
It was something to read,"But it doesn't hold water!!?"...

Thanx for the thread,

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 04:11 PM
link   

You would think if they had a stray elephant or elephant's , someone would surely know about them

The locals would have eaten it anyway, Highland savages lol...

It's a pretty cool story, but I still for Nessie!!!

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
also this from : Loren Coleman Says:
March 6th, 2006 at 5:18 am
The photo referenced on my posting about this was from Sri Lanka, was of an elephant swimming in water there, was carried in FORTEAN TIMES, and directly related to theories being floated about at the time that Lake Monsters such as Nessie could be swimming elephants.

It was as illogical to talk thirty years ago, as it is today, about swimming elephants in Loch Ness being mistaken for Monsters.

GO HERE FOR MORE AND pictures

Ruff

[edit on 6-3-2006 by RUFFREADY]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 02:32 AM
link   
It's not a bad theory. Not far fetched at all. I can see how it can be a valid explanation for a handful of the sightings but not all of them over hundreds of years.

Elephants love water, and playing in water is one of their favourite past times. But they will only swim and/or snorkel when they really need to cross water. They'd much rather walk than swim. And they'll never completely dive under water, much less stay there. In most of the Nessie sightings, the "monster" was sighted for some time, after which it disappeared under water, not to surface again. Elephants don't do this!

Nessie actually elephants? I find it more likely that Nessie is a plesiosaur than an elephant. (And it's unlikely that Nessie is a plesiosaur, BTW)

[edit on 7-3-2006 by Gemwolf]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
This just smacks of someone who saw something that reminded them of Nessie, so that must be what Nessie is. It's plausable for maybe some sightings, but not for the whole. I think we need to look at Nessie and the other lake creatures that are out there. surely they can't all be Elephants, Big Fish, or what ever else man uses to try to explain away a mysterious creature.

top topics

join