It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court upholds military recruiters on campus

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
DaFunk13, I don't know what your definition of dumb is, but the majority of the military is not dumb.....not the smartest crowd either, but far from dumb. Dumb is sitting around the house doing nothing for years, gang bangin on the streets, freeloading from mom and dad, you know...stuff like that. At least they're doing something and not being a burden to society like many other young people are.

If money (as little as it is), schooling, job security, whatever motivates them to join, then so be it, as long as they understand what might be expected of them (war) and they own up to the contract. If only college students enlisted there would not be enough troops and that would probably lead to a draft, then we would have an even bigger problem....thousands of troops being forced to join as oppossed to "dumb" people joining.

Anyways, enough with our bickering

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Aren't there enough high school drop-outs and burn-outs to go around anymore? The whole point of going to college is so that you don't have to fall back on a 'killer' career in the mercenary corps. Government jobs and military training are just a stepping stone to the much more lucrative career of international thug.

Some people just want to serve their country, and protect their homeland and their families and get some useful training and disicipline. Some men really synch with the armed forces, and they stay for life. The whole point though, is that those people who were born to serve will do so without much prodding. The recruiters aren't there to attract people passionate about their country and their freedoms - they're there to sell a below-average career choice to desperate, unremarkable college-age kids in a #ty job market, and take their finders fee.

Remember the additional aspect to this story, which is the military recruiters using databases collected and administered by the college to target their recruiting. If I'm not mistaken, the Supreme Court only considered the question of whether or not the feds can withold money from colleges that restrict recruiter access. They didn't even approach the real issues, in my mind.

Also, the gay issue isn't just a screen. I'll just say 82nd Airborne and leave it at that.

Recruiters have become more and more desperate, to the point where several nationwide have been caught in the act of bribing recruits, advising recruits to break the law, even one case where a recruiter assisted a potential recruit trying to beat a drug test. And how about these contractors prospecting without any oversight? There's a lot more to this issue than meets the eye, at least as far as the majority is concerned, I think that's safe to say.

Academia has, for the most part, lost touch with its inner warrior and it's a shame, that I will agree. But these issues with the military's gay policy and recent instances of underhanded recruiting practices are more pressing I think. The gay issue isn't a smokescreen, but it is just one problem among many.

[edit on 8-3-2006 by WyrdeOne]

[edit on 8-3-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Thanks wyrde, you beat me to it on that one. You are also a much better writer, so you convey our point better than I would.

Remember sport, these dumbasses are my friends too. I dont mean dumb like they can't spell or get into college. I mean dumb like they are clueless to what they are truely fighting for. Dumb to the fact that they are not trading a few years of life to be "shown the world, and given worldly experience, and lots and lots of exercise", but, rather being asked to kill a fellow human being without question. It was a factor left out of a lot of the decision making processes of quite a few of my pals in Vietraq. That is the ignorance. They didnt ever expect to actually have to fight a war. They were busy whooping it up in Korea, or Germany, drinking beer and blowing cash in strip clubs, and then all of a sudden...

Anyways...enough bickering. I am not roasting our boys in uniform. At least not like you may perceive. Like I said before, I am only echoing what my close friends have said.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13
Thanks wyrde, you beat me to it on that one. You are also a much better writer, so you convey our point better than I would.

Remember sport, these dumbasses are my friends too. I dont mean dumb like they can't spell or get into college. I mean dumb like they are clueless to what they are truely fighting for. Dumb to the fact that they are not trading a few years of life to be "shown the world, and given worldly experience, and lots and lots of exercise", but, rather being asked to kill a fellow human being without question. It was a factor left out of a lot of the decision making processes of quite a few of my pals in Vietraq. That is the ignorance. They didnt ever expect to actually have to fight a war. They were busy whooping it up in Korea, or Germany, drinking beer and blowing cash in strip clubs, and then all of a sudden...

Anyways...enough bickering. I am not roasting our boys in uniform. At least not like you may perceive. Like I said before, I am only echoing what my close friends have said.

Really? Do you have any other "dumbass" friends who joined the fire department, and then were shocked to learn that they might have to enter a burning building to save someone's life? Or maybe joined the local PD and then had to arrest a crazed drug user? Or maybe became a doctor and was faced with treating someone who had a highly-infectious and deadly disease?

If you think they are clueless as to what they are fighting for, and for that you label them "dumbasses", exactly what kind of friend are you?

Methinks you probably give these people, whoever they are, waaay to little credit in an effort to prop up your anti-war views.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor

Originally posted by Frosty
The US military has no business on college campuses.

You don't think there could actually be bright and intelligent people that would join the military?

I did not say that. I said the best and the brightest.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I am against this? no I am actually not against it, I think that will take care of what is becoming a growing trend with our college students that are not as fortunate as the wealthy students.

The can have a way to pay for their debts, but then again I blame the government for all these.

You seem to want to make a distinction between some sort of class of wealthy kids that do not need military and poor kids who do? I would say the difference lies in finding a job and being a B+ student and being a C student. There are a plethora of people going to my school who should not be there, many of them feel as if they have to go to college, and treat it as a social scene at best.

Joining the military is no way of paying off a debt.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Pyros, the friends I have that are docs, firefighters, emts, etc...knew why they took those jobs. They took them to save lives. The military is doing the opposite last I checked. They also arent offering $20,000 signing bonuses and free school in trade for complete disregard for principals. You are comparing apples to oranges.

And this isnt me calling my friends dumbasses. Like I said at least once already, they call themselves dumbasses. I have a good pal on leave right now that will tell you how he was "duped, like a retard" into joining the service. These are his words, not mine.

How many people do you know personally in the service serving actively in a hostile environment? I am not assuming you know none, I am just curious. I know that out of the 5 friends that I have either currently overseas, or just released from duty (3 marines, 2 army), only one person thinks this war is a good idea, or even worth fighting, and he is NUTS. I mean nuts like he enjoys the violence. He is a k1 fighter who just likes to hurt people. The other 4 will all tell you that they were fooled (thats right FOOLED) into joining. Not one of them could explain a concrete fundamental reason for the war. Sometimes its liberation. Sometimes its fighting terrorists there so we dont have to fight them here. Sometimes its spreading democracy. How many of these reasons are even true?

Do you think we are liberating people? Do you think we are "spreading democracy" for the good of the Iraqi people, or for our own? Do you think us killing terrorists overseas is inhibiting them from attacking us here in America? I dont buy any of that crap, and neither should you.

You dont have to like this, but my friends are proof in my eyes that this war is going very badly, and is nothing more than a drain on the economy, our wits, our hearts, and most importantly...American lives.

[edit on 9-3-2006 by DaFunk13]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I'm trying to be a cop after I graduate college. I cant decide if I want the military experience first though. It would be a good career move for me, becuase Police Depts. love the military box checked on those applications you submit. For anyone going into jobs like police, firefighters, EMTs, ect the military is a great opportunity to learn skills, and make your chances of getting a job in the public service sector much higher. I'm thinking about joining the Army to become an MP, get a little experience under my belt before I get out to the real world, not to mention get my college loans paid off. As for military recruiters being on high school campuses, its fair game, as these are public schools, paid for by the govt and taxpayer money. It would be like me and you going in together to buy a TV and then you telling me I cant watch it. Any institution funded by public money, must let the military into their facility.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13

How many people do you know personally in the service serving actively in a hostile environment? I am not assuming you know none, I am just curious. I know that out of the 5 friends that I have either currently overseas, or just released from duty (3 marines, 2 army), only one person thinks this war is a good idea, or even worth fighting, and he is NUTS. I mean nuts like he enjoys the violence. He is a k1 fighter who just likes to hurt people. The other 4 will all tell you that they were fooled (thats right FOOLED) into joining. Not one of them could explain a concrete fundamental reason for the war.

I go to a military college so maybe I am a bit biased, but I think your friends are the exception, not the rule. I have met officers and enlisted from all branches and most like what they do.

Most agree that the war with Iraq is a good thing. But this debate isn't about whether the war is right.

I can see no wrong with the military being on college campuses. I look at our colleges and I see the same thing, a total lack of DISCIPLINE and RESPECT. Today’s college students get up at the crack of noon, go to some classes, skip others, and then go out and drink and party. Most of them are not paying for college themselves, instead their parents are paying, so they don’t really care that they are just wasting money.

Now introduce the military during and after college, they learn that not just old people say sir or ma’am. They are taught a little thing called discipline and they get control of themselves. They are then put in an environment, maybe for the first time, where they are expected to regularly perform well, and not just when being watched but all the time, its called integrity. They also get experience leading people, something that puts you ahead of your peers.

So when they get out of the military, the have respect, discipline, and leadership skills. How is this a bad thing?

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I just want to state that I never said the military is bad...just not for me.

I believe in joining the military for COUNTRY first, and all the other stuff after. "Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."

My beef if with the kids that join for free school, and $$$ only to bitch and gripe when they have to fight a war they dont believe in. I wish these same people spent more time following current events, or reading books they would understand why they are in the military, beyond the aforementioned reasons.

I am not anti-military. I am anti dumb# kid who could care less about why he joined, other than the money and the college. IMO it is these kids who are giving our troops a bad name.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:23 PM
link   
If the military wasnt offering free school would these kids be joining. Its called incentive, and for an all volunteer force you must have it. Otherwise, all youre giving them is skills, which go much better with a top quality education.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludaChris
If the military wasnt offering free school would these kids be joining. Its called incentive, and for an all volunteer force you must have it. Otherwise, all youre giving them is skills, which go much better with a top quality education.

LudaChris, You get a WATS

DaFunk13, I see what you're saying now man....sorry to think otherwise

But I still disagree with the part that joining for incentive, money or free education is a bad thing. Like LudaChris said, it's an all volunteer force and unfortunately patriotism (in a military sense) and dedication to join the military without much is return is not very popular these days.

And recruiting from a college campus will most likely get the attention of future officers (degrees) not enlistees, which makes up the majority of the military.

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
The US military has no business on college campuses. THey say they look for the best and brightest, really they are looking for recent graduates who hate themselves, hate the major they obtained or have no immediate plans for the future.

That's just asinine. Some of the most intelligent people I've ever known were in the military. Some of the stupidest too, but that's a seperate issue.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join