It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Political Party Would You Develop And Why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 03:03 AM
link   
At the beginning of American history, there were Federalist and the Whig parties before Democrats and Republicans became the standard. I don't think there was anything in the Constitution that set up this two-party system, it just came to be (someone please correct me on this, if you know for sure).

As I read about the pessimism about the political system, I feel that our needs as a country would probably be met if we had a multi-party system. I've heard people complain about the Dems and the Republicans, demonizing both parties (of which I am not immune). So, I would like to know whether a multi-party system would be more applicable to modern-day America?

If so, what new political party would you create and why?

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
i honestly think we should get rid of a party system and have the canadites represent themselves seeing that people tend to vote party lines.

That has a ton of problems tho.
1. How do canadites pay for their campaign- Only way i see out of this one is that a campign only consists of pre-panned speechs in ALL major cities, paid for by the goverment.
2. how do you limit the number of canadites.
3. ALot more i can't think of at the moment.

Nothing is perfect, but if we do stick to a multi party system we need to break up the extremes of both the Democratic and Republican parties. Seeing that both really are moving in far opposite directions with policies.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Maybe getting rid of the party system is a little bit overboard. Because without any party, then the government would not be organized in a systematic fashion. But then again, I think about how local elections are run. Candidates who run in a municipal election sometimes do not espouse a particular party. Instead, people vote related to the area the candidate represents. Perhaps, candidates in a small area could viably run on singular interests.

I do agree with the comments about the multi-party system. Breaking up the two-party system would allow more interests would be served. People would not be pushed into supporting the Democrats or the Republicans if more choices were out there. And then, new political parties could probably induce a national debate that is sorely overlooked now.

Of course, we do have other parties (Green, Libertarian, Independents, etc.), but they tend to be over-shadowed by the two major platforms. I wonder if the "equal time" clause (FCC rules states that if one party presents their platform on the air, then the other party must get the same time to address the claims) would be enforced we could have more of a multi-party system. Would we have a Parliamentary system? Would these other groups be untouched by the corruption of Lobbyism?

These are the things I dwell on quite a lot when I see the Congressional in-fighting on C-SPAN.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I'm getting the feeling that between now and the next presidential election the two parities will split up or make some serious changes. I think that both of them have become out of touch with the average American. espically now with this Duabi port deal, i think the republician party is gonna be rather shakey in the next year or two. Don't really whatch democrats so i have no real idea if there are any present rifts. Maybe more moderate democrats will split off with issues like Abortion, War on Terror and possibly others. If the parties have major rifts i think smaller parties might make out well with positions.

Back to your question, "what party would you create", i am a conservative if not ultra right-wing.

On demostic issues:
Tighten all borders, not just Mexicans!!! I hate how everyone balmes the mexicans! all people, white, brown, middle-eastern, asian all of them. Apply for a citizenship. if you want to come, wonderful!

Schools, I love Belgium's idea, capitalize the schoolk system. Make the schools compete for the money not just give it to them. Each student is worth 18k so where ever they go that money follows.

Busing, don't like it sorry, destorys community involment with the school.

Economy- Not a economist so.. I think that more money should go to develop industires. More money to NASA/JPL and bussiness that invest in forgein markets and subisdies for compines to develop alternative fuels and new technolgies. Also down with the DUbai port deal

Kinda need to go lol so ill cut it off here, more of my rant later

posted on Mar, 10 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   
First off, let me say that I am a moderate Democrat coming from a strongly Democratic immediate family. My extended family, by virtue of being in the military and in a "red" state, is somewhat conservative. Lol, family get-togethers are sure fun!

But, I like talking about politics. And, I appreciate speaking to people from many different political persuasions without bickering. So, I believe that you have a right to your opinion as I do mine.

About the political party question: I believe that both the Dems and the Republicans would not allow others to splinter off because the ties are too deeply ingrained. Corporate ties also are in bed with these bonds, so it would make splintering off even harder. But I also agree that they have lost touch with average United States citizens. And I don't know what they need to do to get everyday people back into the fold. I am still searching for that answer.

So, change has to come from the outside. But, I would think that this party is centrist in nature. And I also agree that key issues would have to form this new party.

1: Immigration. No matter where people sit on this issue, this subject is
one that has affected a lot of people. There has to be a common sense
policy in place that helps national security, but also provide a fair way
for people to come here.

2: Economy: Although people like to keep the money that they earn, there
also has to be something to help working people. The sad state of affairs
is that the cost of living is too high for the average employed American.
Tax cuts are not going to solve all problems. The national debt has to be
reduced as well. I also believe that money should be given to NASA and
JPL for space exploration and development.

3: National security. International relations must be repaired. That must
be done to reduce the need to have war. If a war must be fought, it
should be done for the right reasons. For terrorism to be stopped,
it must be done right. Terrorists do not come from a single country.
Instead, there must be cooperation internationally for these attacks to stop.

That's as far as I've thought about a new political party so far. But it's a start.

[edit on 10-3-2006 by ceci2006]

new topics

top topics

join