Life sentance for marijuana seeds?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Has anyone heard about this guy Mark Emory? He faces extradition from Canada for selling marijuana seeds over the internet to Americans. I just watched a segment on it on 60minutes, and found an article on Google. This man faces life in US federal prison, where in Canada he could only get a $200 dollar fine.

To me this looks like the US government is going a bit far with it’s war on drugs, and it’s “world policing”. I wonder what steps the US would take if the courts refused extradition? Is this a plan to undermine Canadian soveregnty?

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Yeah I saw that segment on 60 minutes too. They said because of the seeds he has sold here, he is a very big drug dealer. A drug dealer? Seeds from a plant are considered a drug? It is bad enough to call the plant itself a drug ( it is a plant, an herb, not a drug) let alone the seeds that have no effect on people.

These are seeds of a plant put here by God, and they want to arrest this man and give him a life sentance for this? What has happened to our country? This is just too much!!

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   
This is very disturbing. to say the least.

I have even heard of some in California, under the '3 strikes you're out' law that are doing life for possesion of pot.

...but it is OK to drink?

Alcohol is so much worse than pot.

I guess it is the call of demogracy, where 51% controls the other 49%. I guess over 50% percent of the population is still ignorant.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I believe that the war on drugs has gone on for long enough. When good people, harmless people, are being imprisoned for smoking and growing marijuana, things need to change. Many growers are getting longer jail sentences than child molesters and other deviants who actually present a real threat to society. And IMO marijuana has a lot of useful medicinal uses, not to mention hemp is stronger than most natural materials, a lot cheaper to cultivate and could seriously limit the need for deforrestation and unneeded timber extraction that destroys our forests and many natural animal habitats. Not to mention industrial grade hemp produces no narcotic effect whatsoever. Plus, how can you justify the legalizing of alcohol, which in my opinion is POISON to your body and mind, and creates more unnecissary violence, domestic abuse and auto fatalities than any other legal (or illegal) substance on the market. I believe that the reason marijuana and other supposed narcotics are illegal - simple - the government makes way more $$$ from its demonization and illegality than it ever could if it were legal. Smoking pot doesn't lead to crime or violence folks, it leads to the mass consumtion of Cheetos and a lot of really good music. IMO

[edit on 5-3-2006 by BlackOps719]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Jeez, if they feel that strongly about it why don't they bust the humps of the American citizens who bought the stuff. Trying to impose American laws on Canadian citizens doesn't fly here; This is a SOVEREIGN nation. If selling the seeds of a plant is a criminal offence in America then inflict that ridiculousness upon Americans. Spend YOUR billions imprisoning your own citizens for useless trivialities and let us go to the doctor for our free medical marijuana.

This rant is in no way meant to insult or degrade the noble people of America. Merely their government.

Seriously though, what has twenty years of the War on Drugs accomplished? where are the returns from the billions spent? Is the heroin, coke and crack off the streets? How many good people are behind bars soaking up tax dollars cause they had a joint in their pocket? Pharmaceuticals can be far more deadly, yet they are on advertised every day on TV. Can a green leafy PLANT with so many redeeming qualities really be more of a threat than the DRUGS doctors prescribe every day?

Face it, the War on Drugs is a front, their is more drugs on the street than ever, the tax dollars of hard working Americans goes to waste and the big wigs in the pharma industry make billions. Sorry, I've gone off on a tangent.

I believe the Canadian legislation on marijuana to be far more reasonable than their draconian American counterparts. It's a cultural thing, the average Canadian does not see the reef as a hard drug or even as a drug at all. It's simply a plant that gets you high among other things. That is the Canadian perspective and it should be respected as such. Have Canadian laws regarding this plant really turned Canada into a cesspool of corruption? Would stiffer penalties transform Canada into the utopia that is the U.S. of A?

Extraditing Emory simply says that we as Canadians are incapable of governing ourselves and making our own decisions. Emery is a Canadian and he broke Canadian laws while in Canada. He should be subject to Canadian penalties. End of story.

I again would like to emphasize I mean no disrespect to my American brothers and sisters, I have no beef with you. Obviously, I do have problems with your government as I do with the government of my own nation. I simply wish to see citizens treated as free human beings and not as chattel. Emery stays.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
its about time that the government got hard on drugs. but thats too far.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Pharmaceuticals can be far more deadly, yet they are on advertised every day on TV.

You hit the nail on the head there my friend. That is the ultimate truth. They want you to use THEIR drugs. Big money pharmaceutical lobbies will do their best to see that you do.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Face it, the War on Drugs is a front, their is more drugs on the street than ever, the tax dollars of hard working Americans goes to waste and the big wigs in the pharma industry make billions. Sorry, I've gone off on a tangent.

I dont know whats gone wrong with this country, as it already has been posted child molestors, rapists, even murderers get off with less punishment in a lot of cases. The war on drugs, especially with marijuana being on the same list as coke, heroin, and meth, is a big waste and I think we just have too many idiots who think it is a good idea but dont realize they're suckers for the pharma industry.

The DEA has no right to bust Emory and they(DEA) are puppets to the system. They just have no soul and dont realize how much harm it causes a person to be busted simply for having a plant.

I do think Meth, Coke and Heroin are problems, but it just is irrational to consider someone who smokes pot or grows it on the same level as a junkie.

The USA needs to reform its drug laws, even if 2/3rds of the population were to vote for reform, I fear that our computerized voting system will still read 51/49 against reform. The USA is not right and I haven't an idea on where to begin.

[edit on 5-3-2006 by jrod]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
That is absolutely ridiculous!!!!!

who's to say if any those seeds ever really germinated into full grown marijuana plants. And not only that it's a seed!!! not marijuana buds that he was selling.

I think the US govt is taking this way too far and wasting unnecessary resources to prosecute someone for a "crime" like this. No wonder we still have murderers, rapists, pedophiles and corporate crimes, justice in this country can quite blind at times.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
sorry 2x post when i was trying to edit

[edit on 5-3-2006 by jrod]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
In many of the less progressive states in the U.S. being caught with marijuana seeds is a FELONY. Get caught with '___', you can recieve LIFE. I know people that were caught with '___' while they were in college who recieved 8 years per hit. So more or less you have small time recreational drug offenders that will get an effective life sentance. While recently in the national news a judge was almost disbarred for giving a multiple offending pedophile - get this - three months in jail plus court mandated counseling. The public became so outraged that they called for the judges head. WTF is the world coming to?

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
What do you think will happen if the extradition is denied?

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 10:21 PM
link   
That is just sick. Thats illegal to arrest him, they have no THC.. even if they were grown plants without buds they couldnt impose a heavy sentence when its not in its ''drug'' form.

HOW THE FFFFFF DO THEY JUSTIFY THAT!?

Im sick of booze.. people saying they dont do drugs but they get blotto evry week. Whats booze if not a drug.............

[edit on 5-3-2006 by syberkat]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
Seeds from a plant are considered a drug? It is bad enough to call the plant itself a drug ( it is a plant, an herb, not a drug) let alone the seeds that have no effect on people.

These are seeds of a plant put here by God,

Even in Canada production/cultivation or import and export of a seed are indictable offences punishable by up to life imprisonment.

Its the Coca seed though. Even that god given plant arguement wont save you there.

www.rcmp-fairmont.org...

BTW I think this sentence is absurd for Pot seeds.

[edit on 5-3-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
Seeds from a plant are considered a drug? It is bad enough to call the plant itself a drug ( it is a plant, an herb, not a drug) let alone the seeds that have no effect on people.

These are seeds of a plant put here by God,

Even in Canada production/cultivation or import and export of a seed are indictable offences punishable by up to life imprisonment.

Its the Coca seed though. Even that god given plant arguement wont save you there.

With pot, you smoke the plant. Cocaine, on the other hand, has to go through a long process before it can be used.

If you really think about it, everything comes from the earth. (except when it comes from space)

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 11:30 PM
link   
If you want to do something, write to congress about this case against Mr. Emery, Saying that seeds contain no THC, but why is it illegal? No one may ever know.
They say if Marijuana was legalized and taxxed like tabacco, the US would be out of debt in about 2 years.
The war on Marijuana, started when synthetics were chosen over hemp.
Its a war that has gone on way to long. No oen has died from smoking marijuana. So why is it illegal, because they are scared, and misinformed about it.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by omega1

With pot, you smoke the plant. Cocaine, on the other hand, has to go through a long process before it can be used.

It can be used straight from the plant. Chewing or rather sucking coca leaves was and continues to be chewed by the Aymaras and Quechuas of Bolivia, Peru and other Andean countries. Just chewing the leaves is a stimulant. Thats the old school way to use coca

Just trying to show that even in Canada growing simple seeds can lead you to a life in prison

[edit on 6-3-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
What do you think will happen if the extradition is denied?

If the extradition is denied then Marc Emery will be subject to Canadian law. As such, he would face a fine. In all probabability, knowing Marc, he will continue to work as dedicated as ever towards changing attitudes about Cannabis and, of course the laws of Canada AND the US.

df1

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harvestfreak
If you want to do something, write to congress about this case against Mr. Emery...

I do not reccommend writing to congress about this issue if you have any illegal drugs or your urine is dirty. This would be the equivalent of painting a target on your back.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join