It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It was 70 years ago today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Happy birthday to the greatest fighter plane ever to come out of the British isles and possibly the most beautiful in the world.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Who says that only super sleek, fast jets are sexy?

I love the spitfire, one of the few great looking british aircraft imo (donning flamesuit ).

Good post.

edit: spelling

[edit on 5-3-2006 by Uni_Brow]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
happy birthday

shame britians millitary isnt as strong in comparisson to the rest of the world as it used to be.

justin

edit: spelling

[edit on 5-3-2006 by justin_barton3]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Happy birthday spitfire. Truely a sexy aircraft even after all these years.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Those are some spectacular photographs, especially the one on top.

Here's another fine little spitfire:

[edit on 2006/3/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Happy birthday to the beutiful old spit

may they still be examples flying in another 70years and beyond

Forgot to add nothing at any air show can compete IMHO with a low level pass by a nice mk9 that merlin gives me goose bumps.

[edit on 5-3-2006 by buckaroo]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
How about a later model of a P-38, with TWO merlins?

Shouldn't that plane have a 5 bladed prop? Beutiful as it is, of course...

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Travellar
How about a later model of a P-38, with TWO merlins?

Shouldn't that plane have a 5 bladed prop? Beutiful as it is, of course...

Nah one is enough for me ,I have been about a couple a hundred feet from a Lancaster bomber taxi ing with its four merlins all going that was something not to forget but nothing can compare to a spit doing a low level pass.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a very eligent aircraft

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Here goes a salute to one of the finest aircraft to ever take flight. A beautiful bird that took to the stage in one of histories darkest times and was a light to those both military and civilian. Many thanks goes to those who flew it, those who maintained, built it and designed it. Be proud and never forget the price that the heros that flew that plane paid.
Yours truly David Kreutzkamp

By the way great thread waynos

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
the airfoil based on a slice from a cone had advantages to be sure. it could also out turn fw 190's. but as with all developments in war planes become obsolete quite quickly. i wonder how remaining ones would do in the air races here in the us circuit.

i dont think it has the power to compete with p-51's but it probably wouldn't finish last in the unlimited bracket

Racing Aircraft Types

it is fun to watch them scream by at 100 feet and 400 mph

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Glad you guys approve

bigx, the Spitfire F.14 in the middle pic (travellar - thats the one with the 5 bladed prop
) would probably do very well indeed in unlimited air races as it was in the same performance bracket as the Sea Fury and Mustang, if suitably modified in the same way as they are of course.

I wonder why you don't see them on the circuit? Maybe peope think that racing is a bit low rent for the aristocratic Spitfire?

One of the many remarkable facts about the Spitfire is the degree to which it was developed during its time. Going from 1,000hp and a 2 bladed wooden prop with a top speed of 350mph it finished up with a 6 bladed counter rotating propeller, 2,500hp and a top speed of 450 mph. No other fighter handled such a transformation, and all with the same basic structural design.

It was once said that a Spitfire F.24 weiged the equivalent of a mark 1 plus 36 passengers ands all their luggage
and yet it was still 100mph faster.

Some idea of the incresed power requirements for the Spitfire can be gleaned from these photo's which show a replica of the first prototype, a mark II of 1940 and a 1945 PR.19. Notice the extended nose profile to make room for the engine and the ever growing fin and rudder to counter the torque, successfully adapting the airframe to take the Griffon engine was, at the time, regarded as nothing short of miraculous due the massive bulk of this powerplant.
The bottom photo shows a Spitfire F.18 which I have included for no other reason than it captures the beauty of line to the thing so well

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   
It brings a tear to your eye and a lump to your throat every time you see one...
Probably the most beautiful aeroplane, nay, machine ever made!

I'm sure someone will be along to say something unkind shortly.
(No prizes for guessing...)

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I have always asked myself why do our airforce decide to paint large round target's on our aircraft????? Is this to taunt the enemy or does someone know a reason why this has been done.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos

is it me or does this picture have a little window in the body of the plane between the pilot and the roundel.

I have always asked myself why do our airforce decide to paint large round target's on our aircraft????? Is this to taunt the enemy or does someone know a reason why this has been done.

because its the RAF's symbol.

Justin

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
precicely. Everyone paints a depiction of thier national symbol on thier aircraft so everyone else can tell at a glance that they need to not shoot that plane down. The german Luftwaffe used (and still uses) the four right angles depicting a square cross, the US changed in 1942 from a blue star with a white cirsle and red dot to a blue circle with a white star over red and white stripes, and I believe the Soviets used a single red star throughout thier entire existance. For Japan it's the red dot, though I cannot remember any others off the top of my head.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Hey waynos, no pic of a VII or a XII ? They're my favourites...

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Very cool to think that such an amazing machine is older than my grandfather!!!!! .
......Also it could be that argued that it had not been for that plane being available when it was and the brave men who flew it, we could all be posting in German!

Happy Birthday ol' Girl

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by justin_barton3

is it me or does this picture have a little window in the body of the plane between the pilot and the roundel.

Thats the camera port, this version was the unarmed PR.19, which stands for Photo Recconaissance.

The reason we paint those targets on our planes is because in the first world war, with light shining through the light tan fabric of RFC planes, the union jack looked like the German cross, France was already using the cockade marking on its aircraft so, as they were our allies, we took the same symbol and reversed the colours. Also due to being allies Russia and the USA adopted the same three colour circle marking but in their own order, reading from the outiside inwards the USA used red/blue/white and Russia used blue/red/white, both countries adopting their own style after the war when Russia adopted the red star and the USA changed to the same colour order as the RAF but altered the central white circle into a star.

In WW2 the USA deleted the red centre spot to avoid confusion with the Japanese red sun symbol and then a couple of years later added the white bars at the side with red stripes being added to the bars on the formation of the USAF in 1947, that is in short how the USAF symbol evolved from the RAF marking. Others to evolve from the RAF marking are much more obvious such as Australia who simply replaced the central red dot with a red Kangaroo.

[edit on 6-3-2006 by waynos]

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
A true piece of British Heritage, Although we have jet fighters now, The Spitfire will always be Britains greatest aircraft.

If the British aircraft industry will rise again, maybe there will be an ATF that will replace the Typhoon named 'Spitfire 2'.

Naa!, Sequels are never the same. There is only ONE Spitfire and will always be ONE!

[edit on 6-3-2006 by Browno]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join