It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Correctness chocking free speech "again"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Arapahoe County is threatening to fire a veteran Public Works employee for promoting the fact that he is an English speaking American.

"They claim it's offensive and I've been accused of discrimination and harassment, believe it or not, because of this," said Mike Gray, a heavy equipment operator with the Arapahoe County Road and Bridge Department for 16 years.

The problems began last spring. Gray, 50, owns a lawn service business on the side. He was routinely driving to work in his pickup truck towing a trailer that he uses to carry lawn mowing equipment for his business. On the side of his trailer, the married father of two affixed a sign that reads "Lawn Services Done With Pride!! By An English Speaking American."

cbs4denver.com...

The same place that brings us Ward Churchill and that nutty geography teacher that compares Bush to Hitler is of course trying to fire a guy for saying he speaks english. Inside the story you find the reason....a new PC boss.

PC idiocy brings nothing but censorship...........

[edit on 5-3-2006 by thermopolis]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Is there a reason he needs to explicitly state he is English speaking to help get business, is the area a mix of different languages.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   
From the original link:

"You are required to permanently remove your cap from the workplace. It is offensive and harassing. Your business sign, if on work premises, must be completely covered at all times. This behavior is inappropriate and any further incidents of this nature may result in further disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment."

More PC police trying to make an issue out of nothing. On his own time, he can do what he pleases, but at work, at work for the government, he is asked to be professional. I would love to wear my "No fat chicks" t-shirt to work everyday, or advertise my anal bleaching services, but I can't. Although after work I can wear or advertise all I want. It's not a free speech issue, but a common sense one.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by thermopolis

The same place that brings us Ward Churchill and that nutty geography teacher that compares Bush to Hitler is of course trying to fire a guy for saying he speaks english. Inside the story you find the reason....a new PC boss.

And coincidentally, he retained the same lawyer that defended Churchill and Bennish.

I don't see what's wrong with the hat, either. How is it different than wearing a hat with FDNY or NYPD on it? Who is offended by a hat that has "US Border Patrol" on it? Illegal immigrants?

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

And coincidentally, he retained the same lawyer that defended Churchill and Bennish.

I think BH stated in the other thread on Bennish that he has dropped that lawsuit, but who cares the guy was a jerk as is this supervisor.

Who is offended by a hat that has "US Border Patrol" on it? Illegal immigrants?

Illegal immigrants of course

The ironic part of this whole thing is that someplace within the county facility you will find a sign that states "Se Habla Espanol" over a window for perhaps, drivers license, that is the first that comes to mind. Now with that said if they force him to take the sign off his truck or cover it, then it is only fair that the county remove those signs right?

I cannot fathom how far this so called PC crowd are going theses days, it has to stop someplace and this would be a good case to start with.

Just my opinion but I think the county does not have a leg to stand on. What they want to do is essentially say what you can put on your car and what you can't Any fool knows there is no law against putting a Bush sticker or Gore sticker in your car and park it on public property and this is no different.

Just for fun, I think they should consider firing the supervisor for pushing his beliefs on others, just to find out how he would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.

[edit on 3/5/2006 by shots]

[edit on 3/5/2006 by shots]

new topics

top topics

join