It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mozilla Firebird...finally a decent browser.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I did a format and reinstall last evening and checked out Mozilla's latest browser for a fresh start. If you're tired of Netscape and IE folks, check it out.

And for any Mac users running Camino, I'd like to hear your feedback...

www.mozilla.org...

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I took your advice and tried it out. Not bad. Took me awhile to figure it out because it didn't have a go button and you have to go to view>toolbars>customize to get one and just keying enter didn't work at first.

The cursor works better in Monopolist Explorer--Firebird has a very annoying black/white flicker posting this reply and doesn't advance far enough after typing a letter, at least for this site.

I have a web form and when I tried Firebird on it it didn't recognize it and sent me to my default browser, IE. I've never had a problem with this form with either IE or Netscape.

Firebird seems a little faster loading some pages, but not much difference. If I hit f11 for full screen, Firebird does weird things at the bottom, like one page overlapping another it looks like. Netscape does this too.

It's usable, but I don't think it is good enough to supplant IE.

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I think the simple Tab Browsing ability that Netscape 7.1 (based on Mozilla), Mozilla 1.4, and Firebird have far outweighs their deficiencies.

I have noticed with Netscape and company that Java tends to cause the browsers some grief.

Other than that, I give
to Netscape and company.

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Thanks for replying. Agreed, there are some things that just behave better in IE. And Firebird is definately beta software.

I have noticed the same flicker in the blog box on the front page but haven't seen it anywhere else. My full page plays nice with everything else so far.

As far as performance, it definately starts much quicker than anything else I've seen. Some pages I think load a little quicker but not by much.

The biggest advantage I like is the tab viewing control. You can arrange bookmarks in a fashion that Firebird will automatically open all bookmarks in that category into new tabs with one click. Basically, in three keystrokes you can open dozens of pages.

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I did notice Java problems in 1.3 and 1.4, but so far Firebird has been pretty good about Java. Installing macromedia plugins was smooth..

Yes tab browsing...the way to go..

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Well,

I use Opera from:

www.opera.com...

this is in my oppinion the best.

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Except:

"Buy Opera to remove the ad banner"

new topics