It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is organized religion a roadblock for human advancement?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Even in this advanced technological age, organized religion is still as widespread and prominent as ever. We have world leaders basing their foreign and public policies on religious doctrine and affiliation ( Bush, Blair, middle eastern leaders), word wide conflict based on differing religious opinion and a gigantic population of ultra religious citizens and God based special interest groups in the U.S. who lobby for power and dictate morality through legislation. We have a serious gap wedged between our people because of issues like abortion, evolution and overall lifestyle. Is organized religion standing in our way of our progress as a people mentally, economically and socially?

There are many supporters of the ID theory, who refuse to acknowledge scientific fact, instead clinging to the scriptures and ideals of a belief system that, although uselful in it's attempt to provide a set of guidelines for behavior, are simply out dated and based deeply in superstition and blind allegiance. Does religion serve to help mankind and it's search for enlightenment OR is it a serious hinderance to our quest for truth, purpose and understanding?

Does religion truly promote spiritual growth and good will towards man OR does religion stand as a means to divide us, to justify ignorant beliefs that cannot be proven, or as an attempt to undermine science and hard evidence of mans true origin ? Was religion created by man as a system of rules to govern the masses and keep people in line - nothing more? If so, is it still being used as a source of disinformation and distraction in todays age? Are we unable to advance to a higher level of understanding because our ape brains are still cluttered with the false notion of a hidden ruler? Or is there more to God and faith than meets the eye? Do science and religion go hand in hand? Are the two able to coexist as we head toward the future?

To sum it up, is religion holding us back as a species in it's most important developmental stages OR does religion still hold a place in our society as a credible belief system? I tend to believe the former personally, but I would like to hear a variety of differing opinions on this topic to see where others stand these days. All opinions and evidence will be honestly and objectively considered. Thanks and enjoy.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
"To sum it up, is religion holding us back as a species in it's most important developmental stages OR does religion still hold a place in our society as a credible belief system?"

Well it all depends if that "religion" is true. And if its not. Then Yes, It holds Back our Developmental Stage.

Of Course, the question also needs asked.

Are we truly evolving, at a stand still, or devolving?

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I believe religion is a good thing for many people. It is a crutch for many others. Intolerance, greed, and hatred exist among the religious and non-religious alike.

Unchecked self-interest is not compatible with a global community.

Originally posted by msnevil
Of Course, the question also needs asked.

Are we truly evolving, at a stand still, or devolving?

More questions:
Evolving towards or away from what? According to who? Does all of humanity share the same goal? SHOULD all of humanity share the same goal?

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Evolving towards or away from what? According to who? Does all of humanity share the same goal? SHOULD all of humanity share the same goal?

Truth....... that should be the ultimate goal of all men. Our true origins. Our true purpose here. Real scientiific explanation of the universe as opposed to lies and deception. No more hiding behind the guise of religion and it's falicies. True meaning and understanding. I believe that scientifically and spiritually we are all still in the dark ages and just beginning to scratch the surface when it relates to the abilities of the human mind as well as what many many wonderful discoveries await us as we unfold the possibilities of this universe.

[edit on 5-3-2006 by BlackOps719]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
Is organized religion standing in our way of our progress as a people mentally, economically and socially?
No, I don't think that religion is standing in the way of our growth as humans. Speaking for myself. Religion can and should help us to grow and evolve into the humans that God created us to be.

By BlackOps: There are many supporters of the ID theory, who refuse to acknowledge scientific fact..........
It is my understanding that evolution, when it pertains to humans, is still a unproven theory? If this is the case why isn't it permissible to incorporate both in one belief? Isn't that what ID does?

by BlackOps: Does religion serve to help mankind and it's search for enlightenment OR is it a serious hinderance to our quest for truth, purpose and understanding?
Most religions support the building of human character and virtues.
The following from Webster's New World Dictionary:

Character: #5. moral strength
Virtue: #1. general moral excellence
Moral: #1. dealing with, or capable of distinguishing between, right and wrong. or;
#2. Of, teaching, or in accordance with the principles of right and wrong.
or; principles or standards with respect to right and wrong in conduct.

I expect now the question of "right" and "wrong" comes up in relation to humans.

by BlackOps: Does religion truly promote spiritual growth and good will towards man OR does religion stand as a means to divide us, to justify ignorant beliefs that cannot be proven, or as an attempt to undermine science and hard evidence of mans true origin ?
Yes, religion does promote spiritual growth and good will to man. The character traits and virtues which our religion teaches us helps guides us toward this goal.

Not all we can do and learn benefits the human race. I am thinking of the A bomb. A terrible stench from human ability to proceed without any restraints or self control.

We are now at another important growth period and really need these virtues to SAVE the human race and not destroy it.

by BlackOps: Or is there more to God and faith than meets the eye? Do science and religion go hand in hand? Are the two able to coexist as we head toward the future?
Yes. There is more to God and faith. Humans must use the teachings of religion to move forward as we head into the future. There are many pitfalls ahead if we are not careful in distinguishing "what we should do" as opposed to "what we can do". Humans should not allow "ego" to overrule our God given sense of what is "right" and what is "wrong".

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   

No, I don't think that religion is standing in the way of our growth as humans. Speaking for myself. Religion can and should help us to grow and evolve into the humans that God created us to be.

When religion starts dictating on what a person can and can't do, that is a hinderance. A 16 yr old who get's pregnant, most religion's feel it's wrong to get an abortion. If an abortion is done before an unborn child has developed into anything of recognizable form as a baby, abortion should be allowable. I can give more examble's if you'd like. I can also tell you a story about religous belief's getting in the way of my sister in law trying to get birth control.

It is my understanding that evolution, when it pertains to humans, is still a unproven theory? If this is the case why isn't it permissible to incorporate both in one belief? Isn't that what ID does?

It's only unproven due to not having the entire theory as a whole proven yet. There is numerous evidence's for ToE that show the theory has strong foundation's. ID has nothing of it's own accord to even be considered as a science. All it can do is attack thing's scientist's have no answer's for using any theory. The human race is still young in comparison to the universe at large and we still have much much more to learn and discover before we can even begin to understand all of it. ID take's away that learning process by claiming something is too complex, and thusly write's it off to the so called designer. A designer may I add, that they refuse to theorize about. It's not very scientific.

Most religions support the building of human character and virtues.
The following from Webster's New World Dictionary:

Character: #5. moral strength
Virtue: #1. general moral excellence
Moral: #1. dealing with, or capable of distinguishing between, right and wrong. or;
#2. Of, teaching, or in accordance with the principles of right and wrong.
or; principles or standards with respect to right and wrong in conduct.

I expect now the question of "right" and "wrong" comes up in relation to humans.

Law's and common sense teach these same principle's. There will alway's be some who have mental/psychological problem's to the point where these teaching's are of no use, regardless if there is religion or not. But there's a problem with religion when it throw's out it's teaching's and claim's they're commiting immoral and illegal act's out of the name of their god. That's nothing more then a scapegoat tactic and should not be tolerated. Very few religous people even practice what they preach, in so much, that religion teaching these thing's is really pointless.

We are now at another important growth period and really need these virtues to SAVE the human race and not destroy it.

That's abit impossible, especially given the fact that all religion's claim that they're the one true religion needed to be followed, given the fact that they're god teach's intolerance to any other belief. The christian god, in his first commandment teach's intollerance and thus has been used by many christians through out history to commit act's that go against moral's and virtues.

Yes. There is more to God and faith. Humans must use the teachings of religion to move forward as we head into the future. There are many pitfalls ahead if we are not careful in distinguishing "what we should do" as opposed to "what we can do". Humans should not allow "ego" to overrule our God given sense of what is "right" and what is "wrong".

This is all dependant upon which god you culturally adopted. If you were raised in a muslim culture in the middle east, chance's are you'd be considered a terrorist if you bought into the immoral garbage Al Queda teach's. Chance's are, if raised in a predominatly hindu culture, you'd be practicing hinduism. Problem here is, which god and which teaching?

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   

If you were raised in a muslim culture in the middle east, chance's are you'd be considered a terrorist if you bought into the immoral garbage Al Queda teach's.

That is another concern of mine. Christianity in it's basic form is a religion geared towards love of your fellow man and really asks nothing more of it's followers than to live a God like existence and to share the word of God. Islam teaches that all non-believers are infidels against the word of Allah, that Islam is the only religion, the direct word of God. It also clearly requires that all non Muslims be either a.) converted to Islam by any means needed b.) captured and enslaved or c.) butchered in the name of Allah. IMO a religion that teaches peace, say Budhism, even if not entirely factual in it's texts and tradition, is more or less harmless and non threatening to non believers. What do you do in the instance of a religion like Islam, who's most basic doctrine teaches that infidels should be converted, captured and enslaved or destroyed. Is the systematic destruction and removal of a religion like this justified? Should Islam and all of it's fanatical teaching be allowed to continue to grow? Even when it is clearly a serious threat to progress as well as a serious threat to life and personal freedom as we know it. Should there be restrictions placed on what a "religion" can and cannot teach in order to insure the safety and well being of the population as a whole?

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Whoa, easy there...

Christianity itself is far from a perfect peace loving religion. The first commandment alone teach's intollerance towards another's belief's. Many verse's in the christian bible have been used to wage war's and commit horrible act's against other human's in the name of the lord. There's even instance's in today's modern world where christianity is used for violant act's against other's. It's not so much the religion, it's the mindset the religion give's to it's follower's, depending upon a varying degree of how much they follow that religion and how certain individual's interpret the word of their god. Christianity has used the bible to kill off thousand's of innocent young and old women and men out of a superstitious fear of them being witch's. Christianity durring it's rise to dominance has been nothing but violance. While the violance today has subsided considerably, to say it's any better then islam is plainly ridiculous.

Even when it is clearly a serious threat to progress as well as a serious threat to life and personal freedom as we know it.

I've lost a job due to a christian. Got into an argument over my non-belief in a god. My sister in law wasn't able to get on birth control due to a christian doctor bringing her belief's into a public medical facility. My sister had to convert from being non religous just to be accepted by her boyfriend's family. Had to have HER child baptised at the request of her boyfriends family. Has to have all these rule's and restriction's placed upon her just to have a boyfriend. Christianity has always and still does place restrictions and limit personal freedoms. Personally, I despise all religion's. All of them are full of hypocrits.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Christianity itself is far from a perfect peace loving religion

I completely agree with you in this instance. Christianity has been the root of intolerance and fanaticism for hundreds of years. No doubt that many wars have been waged and many people have suffered as the direct result of Christian doctrine. With that being said, many Christians are definately close minded, often very unreasonable when disagreed with, and let's face it - can be quite annoying at times. But my point is that they do not openly support and even rationalize a set of religious beliefs, unlike
Muslims, in which the requirement for the enslavement or systematic slaughter of non believers is being taught. To put it simple - you lost a job, opponants of Islam lose their HEADS. Which is a bigger cause for concern?

Personally, I despise all religion's. All of them are full of hypocrits.

I couldn't agree more.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

But my point is that they do not openly support and even rationalize a set of religious beliefs, unlike Muslims, in which the requirement for the enslavement or systematic slaughter of non believers is being taught.

That point is only valid in today's modern world. Christianity has lost the power it once had. Also, Islam and Muslims alone aren't inherently bad as a whole, it's just those select few who are fanatic about the religion and feel they're doing the lord's bidding. For this reason, all religion's should be disbanded. Christianity was by far the worst for the past 2000 year's, now Islam is picking up where christianity left off, but who's to say christian's won't find another oppurtunity to start problem's all over again. In today's modern world, a superstitous religion is no longer a requirement. Religion as a whole isn't helping the human race and foster's ignorance and intollerance. We need to get rid of this mindset as quick as possible and start educating people. If there really is a god out there, we're all going to be doomed and we can thank all these differing religous belief's for it.

[edit on 5-3-2006 by Produkt]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   

I believe it is. We have been and are still being scientifically stunted by the influence of organized religion. I believe we would be far more advanced as a species if we had relegated religion to its proper place in human history years ago.

Religion served a purpose in our early history as a tool to explain what frightened and mystified us. As science has advanced, religion has become unnecessary except as an abstract anti-depressant for those who need it in their lives.

The Europeans realized this years ago. People in the US have a long way to go in this regard.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Religion served a purpose in our early history as a tool to explain what frightened and mystified us. As science has advanced, religion has become unnecessary except as an abstract anti-depressant for those who need it in their lives.

Well said. I see religion for what it is, a crutch to support the closed minded frightened sheep in society who need it in order to justify and validate their existence. Otherwise, many people out there would be leading pretty useless lives if they had to wake up one day and actually think for themselves.

My answer to the question - yes -religion only serves to keep mankind in the dark.

I will end with a couple of my favorite quotes by Thomas Jefferson on the subject of religion.

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors."

"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance of which their civil as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purposes."

"The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills."

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
In answer to the topic question of the thread: Yes.

Reason: religion inherently creates divisions and separatism.

If the goal of religion is 'unity with God' (and if it isn't, then it isn't even worth discussing as far as its legitimacy is concerned) then it is its own nemesis and adversary. One cannot expect to somehow separate one's self from others in order to become one with God. God isn't leaving anyone out, how can man?

Arrogance and blindness is all it is. But remember--until one is able to see, they exist in blindness from birth; and before the ego dies, the soul is born to arrogance. So it's not only religious zealots who divide--we all divide until we understand we are one.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Interesting question. Unfortunately there is no easy answer. I can ask a question in response though: is religion a glass half full or a glass half empty? What I mean is this; is religion leading us to a more beneficial existance or as you suggest soley leading us to problems?

If you believe in something after death then I believe it is logical that religion leads us to a more beneficial existance because no religion may cause us to lose sight of the entire purpose for existance here.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Reason: religion inherently creates divisions and separatism.

That is absolutely true. IMO religion only serves to divide human kind into segregated sects, and it prevents real communication, stunts intellectual growth, and stands as a huge distraction from all of our most basic goals as a species. Mainly, the search for truth. If we have masses of people bickering over the finer points of out dated, primitive, useless superstition, how will we ever make any real ground toward the true origins of man and the advancement of science as a whole? Especially when funding for most science & technology based research is rationed out by politicians who's main goal is to appease the christian voters to insure re-election.

I believe that in it's basic context religion is ok. It helps those who need help. It serves as a moral belief system for those who choose to follow. I do however have a huge problem with how our legislation is based on the religious beliefs of the morality police. Seperation of church and state should be just that, complete seperation. I think that European governments have mastered this concept more so than our American politicians have. Is it safe to assume that our government uses the pro Christian agenda to keep our population distracted, so that we are too preoccupied with notions of moral superiority and higher cause to focus on whats REALLY going on?

I guess the "keep em blind, scared and stupid" campaign is working like a champ.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
religion is the cause of pretty much close to all the major conflict in the world's history.

most of the major wars that have happened have been sparked by intolerance for another people/relgion

obviously, the islamic vs judaism/chrisitianity thing has been going on for a long long time. It has been one hell of a devastating conflict throughout history, taking countless lives and ruining countless others. doesnt this tell you something right off that bat? it should have made warning bells and whistles go off long ago! but it didn't, because people are blind and will blindly devote themselves to something they cant see or hear, and the only thing they have to think maybe its there is someone else telling them it is.

i think maybe we oughta stop looking to things that arent there for help and guidance and maybe start looking to ourselves. i think we'd get alot more done that way.

another thing is many of the holy books actually tell very similar stories, just with that particular group of peoples twists on things.

i say we pull our heads out of our asses, stop killing each other over something we cant even see feel or prove is even there, and start taking some damn responsibility for what we do.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   

First off, this is a relative question.
Secondly, it is interpretative.
Thirdly, it depends upon which time period your reference.
Lastly, organized religion is as much a hinderance (ie: roadblock) to human advancement as a blackhole is to the universe.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   
There is what you believe and what you know. Religion tends to be what you believe and Science tends to be what you know. The problem is there is a large grey area a trillion light years across. We don't know everything. We know so little compared to absolute knowledge that our percentage of intelligence is a number close to 0.

That being said, "does religion set our species back or help it"? well... that depends on what you believe.

posted on Mar, 13 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
Even in this advanced technological age, organized religion is still as widespread and prominent as ever. We have world leaders basing their foreign and public policies on religious doctrine and affiliation ( Bush, Blair, middle eastern leaders), word wide conflict based on differing religious opinion and a gigantic population of ultra religious citizens and God based special interest groups in the U.S. who lobby for power and dictate morality through legislation. We have a serious gap wedged between our people because of issues like abortion, evolution and overall lifestyle. Is organized religion standing in our way of our progress as a people mentally, economically and socially?

There are many supporters of the ID theory, who refuse to acknowledge scientific fact, instead clinging to the scriptures and ideals of a belief system that, although uselful in it's attempt to provide a set of guidelines for behavior, are simply out dated and based deeply in superstition and blind allegiance. Does religion serve to help mankind and it's search for enlightenment OR is it a serious hinderance to our quest for truth, purpose and understanding?

Does religion truly promote spiritual growth and good will towards man OR does religion stand as a means to divide us, to justify ignorant beliefs that cannot be proven, or as an attempt to undermine science and hard evidence of mans true origin ? Was religion created by man as a system of rules to govern the masses and keep people in line - nothing more? If so, is it still being used as a source of disinformation and distraction in todays age? Are we unable to advance to a higher level of understanding because our ape brains are still cluttered with the false notion of a hidden ruler? Or is there more to God and faith than meets the eye? Do science and religion go hand in hand? Are the two able to coexist as we head toward the future?

To sum it up, is religion holding us back as a species in it's most important developmental stages OR does religion still hold a place in our society as a credible belief system? I tend to believe the former personally, but I would like to hear a variety of differing opinions on this topic to see where others stand these days. All opinions and evidence will be honestly and objectively considered. Thanks and enjoy.

If 1500 years of middle age, tortures, superstition, burning witches, endless war etc does not persuade you that religions hold us back, then nothing will do.

This very medium that we use to exchange ideas has been brought into existence when man started to think rationally.

The worst thing religions do is to make people feel that they are not responsible for what goes on around them. Responsibility is the keyword for advancement of the human race. If we can not be responsible for our actions, if we do not understand that the good and the bad is totally upon us, we will never advance.

And we really do not need any external moral compass to guide us. The only compass we need is this: "do not do to others what you do not want others to do to you". It is a simple rule, that everyone can follow, without the presence of gods.

posted on Mar, 25 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   

First off, this is a relative question.

Of course it is, all questions are relative to who you are asking. Opinion is what I am searching for here.

Secondly, it is interpretative.

Again, I have to say, all questions are interpretive to your particular point of view and backgrounds. Everyone will interpret a question in their own way, based on their own insight and experience.

Thirdly, it depends upon which time period your reference.

I am focusing in this particular discussion on the present day. Does religion serve to hinder our advancement in a technologically advanced age. But, if anyone would like to comment on how religion has impacted and undermined our advancement throughout the history of it's existence, then that would be interesting as well.

Lastly, organized religion is as much a hinderance (ie: roadblock) to human advancement as a blackhole is to the universe.

I would disagree. As far as I know, black holes have been proven to actually exist, where as God, as of this date, hasn't been proven to exist on any level, in any realm, in any way shape or form. Also I would say that the impact that organized religion has had in shaping modern thought, culture and ideology has been overwhelming to say the least. To believe that religion hasn't played an enormous role in how we live our lives as a race and to downplay it's influence in almost every corner of our society would be false. How many wars have been waged throughout time in the name of God and religion? How long has religion paralyzed progressive thought, stunted scientific growth and served to keep people in the dark by process of fear.

If tomorrow we all woke up and found that all religions of the world no longer existed, would it allow for humans to live and think more freely? Would we be better off without religion altogether?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join