It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Women Driving Ban Expanded To Include Golf Carts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Thanks to a tip from Soj, I got to see this article from The Guardian. Saudi Arabia has expanded its ban on female drivers to include golf carts.

Only Saudi men can drive these...

The Guardian: Saudi driving ban on women extends to golf carts

March 3, 2006

Saudi Arabia's longstanding ban on female drivers went an extra mile this week when women were barred from using golf carts to move around a cultural festival, according to Saudi newspapers. Men were permitted to use carts during the first 12 days of the Janadriya Heritage and Cultural Festival when only male visitors are allowed to attend, but the carts were withdrawn during the last three days which are reserved for women.

Saudi traditionalists object to women driving. Although there is no specific law to forbid it, women cannot obtain driving licences. In remote parts of the kingdom they sometimes drive without licences, and the use of golf carts on private land is another way to circumvent the rules.

A few years ago King Abdullah - when he was crown prince - tried to stop female doctors and nurses driving golf carts to get around the vast King Abdul Aziz hospital complex in Riyadh, according to Ali al-Ahmed of the pro-reform Gulf Institute. "He wrote a letter to the director of the hospital. I saw a copy of it. He was absolutely livid," Mr Ahmed said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I guess if they let women drive cars it could make them more "bigheaded" or something. I don´t know. But they do not want them to drive anything at all, that´s for sure. Too much freedom?

posted on Jun, 7 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Well it sure does not suprise me:

Human Rights in Saudi Arabia - Women's rights

Saudi women face severe discrimination in many aspects of their lives, including education, employment, and the justice system. Women are not allowed to drive or ride bicycles on public roads in large cities. However, many women are capable of driving, and do so on rural roads. Family decisions are also largely made by the women. Education, although limited, has become an important aspect. Religious police enforce a modest code of dress, sometimes even asking American Armed Services women to cover their heads. In recent years however, many foreigners residing in the Kingdom have reported that enforcement of dress code laws has become less strict. Institutions from schools to ministries to restaurants are always gender-segregated.

I like the part about American Armed Service Women haveing to cover-up themselves tho.

I don't they are doing the same in Afganistan!

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

I like the part about American Armed Service Women haveing to cover-up themselves tho.

I don't they are doing the same in Afganistan!

I was stationed there, and in the capital city of Riyad, American Military women, hell all women for that matter, had to wear the headscarf and abayah. Where I was stationed, further on the coast of the Persian gulf, we did not have to wear the full ninja woman suit, however, we did have to wear long shirts and sleves, long pants, and socks and shoes when we went off base. This was very unpleasant as temperatures there reached 120 degrees.

Saudi is a horrible country. I did not like serving there and found it offensive that they treat all non Saudi males like human garbage. Our government was kissing their bottoms while we were there because of all the oil and money involved.

I felt sickened by the fact I was supposed to be there to defend these people from Saddam. If it was up to me, Id had yanked all allied forces out of saudi Arabia and let saddam have his way with the country.

posted on Jun, 11 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
So Skadi, are you saying that you would have let Hussein Saddamize Saudi Arabia? lol

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
So Skadi, are you saying that you would have let Hussein Saddamize Saudi Arabia? lol

Absa-friggin-lootley! Trust me, human rights would have probably improved under saddam. Thats how bad it was.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 07:07 AM
link   
A subject close to my heart,

do I get to drive around as fast as I want to? no.

if I happened to have an entire desert road to myself just about, and a supercar or the means to buy one, would I want to tear up the roads as fast as I possibly could? hell yes.

Pardon my 'French' but f--- being out there and not being able to drive like that and make use of the empty roads and big f.o. cars. And how cheap is the petrol there? Very.

posted on Jun, 12 2006 @ 07:09 AM
link   
If I was married to one of those rich guys I'd expect to have a Veyron by now. And be driving it.

[edit on 12-6-2006 by ed 209]

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
[sarcasm ]
This report couldnt possible be true it must be the spin of the liberal media.
The middle east is reforming itself towards western style democracies after the liberation of Iraq.
[/sarcasm]

posted on Jun, 28 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Doesn't anyone remember the Barbara Walters Interview with the King? Even she had to wear a head covering. US army females also have to wear a head covering. I guess our government finds this OK as long as Its the Saudi's, unless maybe they wanna free them too sometime soon.

posted on Jul, 16 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ed 209

And how cheap is the petrol there? Very.

Yeah, that is noteworthy. Petrol is very cheap there but in Norway it is extremely expensive. I wonder why. They produce so much and they make such a profit, I think they could afford to sell petrol a little cheaper to their own people. They're pirates. Where is Robin Hood?

top topics

join