It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange FAA lights.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Last night I noticed a strange aircraft, I couldn't actually see the aircraft my self but the FAA lights on it really were that initially got my attention.

First of all it had a very obvious red light on it, about in the centre, it didn't blink but it rather faded in and out, the lights on presumably the wings were white and blinked pretty much like normal.

Other anomolies are as follows: No sound could be heard the entire time it was passing overhead, also no contrail could be seen even though it passed very close to the moon and no contrail or outline of the plane could be seen (which is not that strange but disapointing).

I am thinking it could have been a blimp of some sort, it was going quite slow as well, anyone able to tell me what this might have been?

Normally I wouldn't be posting about any sighting with FAA lights but since I couldn't indentify the pattern of it's FAA lights and no sound was heard I was not completely sure what it was, I have seen many aircraft and many FAA lights in my life but this one was definitly different.

This was over North-east Iowa around 10pm.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The red lights are for when the engines are running, or on the ground when they're ready to depart. The older planes have a rotating light instead of a strobe light on more modern planes. The rotating light looks like it fades in and out like that. How high above you was it? (approximately) There are some older planes with newer engines that are really quiet. The KC-135R uses the CFM-56 engines, and they used to fly right past our house and we could barely hear them. And they were pretty close to us. It also has a rotating light that fades in and out like that.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 02:35 AM
link   
It was quite high up, at least at 20.000 feet I am guessing.

It was just completely unlike anything I ever seen.

I have heard aircraft overhead that were almost silent, but this one was completely quiet.

My guess it was definitly military.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Probably a KC-135R then. I've had the go by my house at 2 miles and barely heard them.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 03:40 AM
link   
that's a Refueling aircraft is it not? what was it doing all the way out here, there aren't any airforce bases here for 100's of miles, I suppose there is one in Wisconsin and Minesota though.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Oh, any number of reasons. They don't just use them to refuel. They carry cargo, they use them for medical evacuatons, etc. He could have been going cross country to meet up with something to refuel. If there are fighters going somewhere, the tankers fly in from another base, and meet up with them and they go from wherever the fighters are at the same time.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Hey Thanks for answering those questions.

But I do have to say they usually use regular C-135's for transport operations, not the KC-135's that mainly carry a large fuel tank.

What the hell are they doing out at night? lol, night time training?

posted on Jun, 2 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Groundzero. I have had a somewhat similar sighting/experience. FAA lights that just seemed odd or different. No engine noise. The craft was at about 15,000 feet. I found myself questioning whether it was a plane. It just didn't feel or seem right.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
It was quite high up, at least at 20.000 feet I am guessing.

And you could still see the strobe lights and so forth with enough detail to tell us that they were "blinking normally'? I smell something fishy...

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Ground Zero,

I just read your post, even though I see it's a bit old. I had the SAME exact experience as you, this was in upstate New York, above Syracuse. I was out watching stars as the sun just set and I looked over to my left and saw something low to the ground doing the SAME thing you described.

Being it was dark out, I couldn't describe what it was physically but I couldn't explain what it was (I am very familiar with nav lights of all sorts of jets/commercial airliners). This object didn't give off a sound from what I heard and it travelled so slow and the fact it was so low sort of gave me a wonder as to why:

1. I couldn't a noise from the engines.
  2. null

I watched this thing for almost 10 minutes travel beyond my view watching it with high powered binoculars, before it went behind my treeline, I saw it move initially southwest, then it moved southeast, but the way it just changed direction was odd.

Honestly, I am very familiar with all sorts of aircraft, but I have no clue what could of been so low, causing a red light fading "in and out" (was the odd part). To this day I still wonder about that, it was going so slow..

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Throughout my life I have seen a couple things that make me step back and say "What the *$%& was that?!", and a few times I even had friends with me at the time. Bout a quarter were at night, but none have demonstrated any of the lights you guys describe. It could be that just from where I am these things don't travel here, but I don't know. I've seen some really weird light things, but each time I could hear a noise of some sort.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
But when I say low to the ground, I don't mean like.. low like tree level, but low for an aircraft, under 7,000 ft approximately.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masisoar
under 7,000 ft approximately.

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
at least at 20.000 feet I am guessing

Originally posted by miner
The craft was at about 15,000 feet

I'm afraid it appears that our definitions of low are somewhat different, no? That being said I do find it somewhat strange that such a craft would give off no sound under 7000 feet. FL 200 and 150 I can rarely hear sound, but >7000ft? Very peculiar indeed.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Well, aircraft sometimes can't be heard very well at high altitude so that wasn't too strange, just the FAA light, I never seen anything like it.

I posted this in Aircraft Projects since I figured the experts here would be able to tell me what it was, I wasn't thinking UFO persay but maybe an interesting type of aircraft.

IMO it as perfectly debunked as an aerial refueling aircraft like a KC-135.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Ground Zero, yours may very well be the tanker, but when you mentioned that red fading light it brought me straight back to that encounter. At the moment, it's just unidentified but I'm positive of its altitude, it's because it was so low that I was startled, and yes.. there was no sound.

To be honest, I thought it was a UAV or a helicopter because of how slow it was going but no sound. UAV is still a possibility. Freaky how it just.. had the red light.. fade in... and out.. in and out.

You get the picture.

posted on Jun, 3 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
The new jet engines are amazingly quite, as I said before. Under the right conditions, they can pass over your head at 6 or 7 thousand feet and you won't hear a thing, or a very very quiet noise at the edge of your hearing. Noise abatement rules have become stricter in the last 10 or 15 years, so they've been making engines quieter and quieter. I don't know the actual decible level but the CFM-56 is amazingly quiet for a big engine.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Zaphod I can understand your reasoning, but those engines are mostly used, from what I've found, to be used for commercial airliners, and at the atltitude it was at, I should of atleast heard something of any type of engine, whatever it may be!

Mind you, I live up in farm country, where you hear NOTHING at night minus crickets. If you can identify it, would be cool, always wondered what it could be. Just remember, the red pulsating light is a big factor, because for some reason, that's the only thing distinguishable about its features, minus the "Shhh quiet..." sound it was making.

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   
If it was pulsating it is an old plane. And the CFM-56 engines are used on the KC-135, and the E-6B for the USN as well. Both of those have rotating beacons instead of strobes. I've actually been in situations where I THOUGHT I should have heard something, and didn't hear anything. We had some MH-6 Little Bird helicopters out on the line once for an exercise. I was within 1000 feet of them, and only heard them when the wind blew just right, and then it was BARELY. Sound does odd things under the right conditions. I'm not trying to argue with you about what you didn't and didn't hear, just saying that sometimes when you think you SHOULD hear something you won't, and other times when you think you WON'T you do.

However one thing I can say for certain is that if it's a rotating beacon you saw, and it was on a plane, it's an old plane. IE-707 era.

[edit on 6/4/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
IE-707 era.

And this was a close relative to the KC-135, was it not?

posted on Jun, 4 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
The KC-135 is actually a 707-720. It's the shortened fuselage version of the 707 that first came out. It just doesn't have the windows like the 707 did.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join