It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Audio Recording - Advice, please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Computer literate, but 'sound' illiterate.

I currently have a very noisy, 3-4 year-old Intel Series 815 Motherboard computer with an on-board sound card. Regardless of what microphones and other recording devices (preamp) or recording software I use, it's always very noisy. I always have to remove noise from the line before PODcasting.

We have tried one after market sound card and couldn't get it to record at all, exact cause unknown. I'm not crazy about buying another sound card because the first one didn't work and we had to return it and couldn't get all of our money back.

My questions are:

1. Is it reasonable to think that if I got a good soundcard, it would work and not be so noisy in this machine?

2. Would we just be better off to buy a new multimedia computer?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Your card might be having a flaw that causes interference with the rest of the machine. Or maybe your computer is too noisy for your card. I suggest if you take out your card and try it on a different computer (a friend, or a friendly computer repair shop). If the noise persist the card is the problem, if not its the computer. In case its the card, find what kind of slot your computer has, and buy a card that fits those requirements. Have in mind that you might not be able to get the best card out there and that you might have to settle with a not so good card.

PC's are only good for aprox 2 years. If you can buy a new one, do so (if you want to work with audio and podcasting I suggest a Mac because they were made for these kinds of things: AV work.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
My questions are:

1. Is it reasonable to think that if I got a good soundcard, it would work and not be so noisy in this machine?

2. Would we just be better off to buy a new multimedia computer?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's common for onboard audio to be noisy, the processor or other parts of the motherboard leak into the sound chip. Installing a PCI sound card usually solve the problem. But hey don't blame me if it doesn't, maybe another faulty component in your computer is causing all the noise. Replacing your computer may not solve your problem because even newer motherboards can be noisy.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Thanks for your input.

We spent the whole day yesterday trying different things. Finally brought another very similar computer in and tried it and it was noise-free. We suspect the onboard soundcard is the culprit.

So looks like it's time for a new computer with a good soundcard for me.

Thanks again for your input!

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a funny note here. i once thought i had problems with my pc's audio. after about a day and a half, i found that the mic volume was all the way up. i was recording from the line in jacks, and i got a lot of buzzzzzing with my music. lo and behold, when i found my 'problem', it took care of it for me.

and i thought i was compooter literate.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I'll be brief, I also haven't read the full thread so I apologise if these have already been said.

I use Steinberg Cubase SX 2 to record audio, it is really good.
I also bought a new soundcard, M-Audio Fast-track, and I'm really impressed with the quality. All unwanted noise from my guitars, etc, is completely gone. Output quality is also very good.

I think Cubase SX2 is about £300, the soundcard was a bargain though, £65!

new topics

top topics

join