It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army opening criminal probe on Tillman's death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Breaking news:

The Army will open a criminal investigation to determine whether former NFL player Pat Tillman's death in a 2004 friendly fire incident in Afghanistan was the result of negligent homicide, CNN learned Saturday. Tillman gave up a $3.6 million contract with the Arizona Cardinals to become an Army Ranger after September 11, 2001 terror attacks. Tillman was initially believed to have been killed by Taliban forces but an investigation revealed that fellow soldiers shot Tillman, thinking he was part of an enemy force firing at them.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
You know, imho, Tillman's death was more than just negligent homicide, it was outright murder. My understanding of the way the world system works put that brave, unselfish man right in the crosshairs of the criminal element that is entrenched in our government and miltary, and they took him out.

Anybody still care about Patrick Tillman?

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I just went back and read your former posts and the links you provided. I can't understand why any of those involved would decline to provide statements. Maybe it's because they fear it would be career-ending if they did talk.

At first glance, the senior officer who insisted on splitting the platoon should be investigated for his decision.

As far as the drug angle... from what little I know about the Taliban, I'd have to do a lot more reading on it. But it doesn't seem likely in this case. This seems to be a combination of other factors, all battlefield related.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I hope you are right. The whole thing got a little too up close and personal there for me for a while, and that is never a good way to stay objective.

Btw, my apologies to you for my smart mouthing off in the Cheney thread.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I remember the media had glorified Tillman BEFORE he went to Iraq. Then shortly after it was "Tillman was killed". I don't like to say it but it seems suspect. I would'nt like to think they would murder him to boost recruitment. I thought that this guy had some pride, gave up alot of money, and went to fight for the country-- then was killed. I thought that maybe I should join. I wonder how many people joined the Military after Tillman died.

He could of just been a randomn person involved in fractricide but you also have to admit that it was beneficial for Tillman to get killed as far as recruitment. I would'nt put it past some people in the Military. He always could be alive too.

[edit on 4-3-2006 by ImplementOfWar]

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
It's also on AP:

A report by the Army later found that troops with Tillman knew at the time that friendly fire had killed the football star. Officers destroyed critical evidence and concealed the truth from Tillman's brother, also an Army Ranger, who was nearby, the report found.

More than three weeks after a memorial service in San Jose, Calif., the Army announced on May 29, 2004, that friendly fire rather than an enemy encounter caused Tillman's death. However, even at the time of the memorial, top Army officials were aware that the investigation showed the death had been caused by an act of "gross negligence," the report said.

yahoo.news

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
This thread started out in the WOT, but got moved here for good reason. Thanks, DTOM.

Apparently, the previous 5 investigations into this incident have been more or less fact-finding missions, to determine what happened that evening. This investigation is into the possibility of criminality in the incident, or why it happened. There is some suspicion that at least one of the people who provided information on the earlier investigations lied about it. The questions now arise: why did he lie? What, if anything, was he trying to cover up with his lies? Hopefully, this time around we'll find out the real story of what happened on that ridge in Afghanistan.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This just in...

Army opening criminal probe on Tillman's death as a formality only.

The Army opened and closed its criminal investigation of Pat Tillman's death in 2004 in a total of 2.5 seconds in what is believed to be a new record for cover ups and "get this mess cleared up so American Idol can come back on" in U.S. History.

The fleeting 2.5 seconds was just enough time for Army Brigadier General Ivana Shootalot to utter "Case open, case closed".

Some aides at the Pentagon, speaking on condition of "give out my name and I'm a dead man" spoke in hushed voices that the investigation was doomed from the beginning and the Army had no real intentions of figuring out what really happened to Pat Tillman.

Political and Military analysts have suggested this is due to the fact that no one really cares about Tillman, even of the few who have even heard his story. This is in contrast to the Abu Gharib beatings which produced sufficient media coverage and public outcry (aka "What the # is this? I want my Desperate Housewives back!) to require an actual investigation producing real live Army personnel to be used as scapegoats.

The end result, however, is the same. Soldiers will still be killed by friendly fire, and prisoners will still be humiliated.

Army Master Sergeant Balls O'Steele was quoted as saying after the world record investigation, "The Army has certainly learned a lesson this day. We understand now the consequences of killing our own. In the future, we will spare no expense to cover up, smother and otherwise kill the truth when it comes to such matters."

We now return to your regular programming...

new topics

top topics

join