It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The best way to expose the flaws in the system is by following it.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Drive 55, try to stay alive

They knew it was dangerous.

"We could have really been hurt," said one of the Atlanta college students after their experiment.

"I was pretty sure that I was doing something stupid," said another.

That may be true. But, young and brash, they had a plan.

They wanted to go the speed limit on I-285.

In four cars, on all four lanes, the students from Georgia State University and other local colleges paced the entire midmorning flow of Perimeter traffic behind them at 55 mph for half an hour. They call it "an act of civil obedience."

More...

Video Link.

This is one of the most imaginative things I have seen in awhile.

What a great way to make people see yet another elephant standing in the middle of the room!

Any guesses why I placed this article in Fragile Earth?

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Awesome video!!

I found myself watching with my jaw hanging open! What an inspired experiment. Of course the results of the action do tend to disprove the assertion that 55mph is too slow for that stretch of roadway. Actually, as the video shows quite clearly, as long as a smooth, non-turbulent flow of traffic is maintained, a relatively high flow-rate is possible, even with increased density. It's all just fluid dynamics!

Consider the impact of this type of action if it were to be picked-up and copied all across the Nation!

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
These students were not the first to control speed on interstate highways. State troopers set the pace right now at that magic 75 number. They are spaced out every so many miles throughout the entire interstate system, regulating speed; 'forcing' criminality. Then... just as "Andy" pointed out, as soon as you hit 80 you get a ticket for 25 over the limit. In reality that gives you a five mile per hour range to operate.

The ultimate truth here is that if the speed limit is 55, officers should travel at 55 and pace traffic at such. All else is entrapment; but we all know that is the name of the game. $$$ Tickets equal jobs (things to do), so force 'em along till they break. Speeding also keeps those petro dollars flowing.

None of this matters... soon to see all pollution burnt away

1984 ends 2012,

Sri Oracle

new topics

join