It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do we know that Atlantis existed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

Originally posted by LightWorker13
How do we know Atlantis existed, well there is too much physical proof to support it, as well as support the existence of Lemuria. But, lets try something a bit odd in todays world....

What does your intuition say?

There is not even a single, tiny, microscopic particle of evidence, much less any "physical proof," that indicates in any way whatsoever that there is even an outside possibility that Atlantis ever existed at all. Not nowhere. Not nohow.

Harte

What about Plato's Timeaus and Critias? There is also the fact that Plato's contempories never questioned the story.

G

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I finished waching a docuemntary about atlantis, it's fascinating, sure sounds like the promise land, but I'm not sure it exists, as it was mentions by greeks by a caracter that likes to tell storys that tend to have alot of mitology in them.
The greeks loved telling storys , most of them were related to fiction.
So far nothing showed up, from what I understand it was supose to be some where in the middle of the atlantic ocean betwen europe and the US.
Divers have found 0 evidence, and there were plenty expeditions, maybe it did exist, but the probability is low, this story started from a man that liked to tell storys and fiction, he was claming that the egiptians told him about atlantis, yet in the writing of the piramids there is no indication of such things, let's face it, the greeks loved geting involved with fiction.
All sparked from a single caracter and it lived on and on as a story, there were no multiple sources, it all came from a single person, sounds like today when you read a news paper and there is an article about something hapening in the world, you tend to dismiss facts when no other news paper is claming the story.

[edit on 18-11-2006 by pepsi78]

posted on Nov, 18 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by shihulud

Originally posted by Harte
There is not even a single, tiny, microscopic particle of evidence, much less any "physical proof," that indicates in any way whatsoever that there is even an outside possibility that Atlantis ever existed at all. Not nowhere. Not nohow.

Harte

What about Plato's Timeaus and Critias? There is also the fact that Plato's contempories never questioned the story.
G

Your argument is precisely the same as one that would claim talking foxes in the ancient world based on Aesop's fables.

If you do not agree, then expound on how the two theories, one stating that Plato's writings are evidence for the existence of Atlantis, and the other stating that Aesop's writings are evidence for Greek foxes possessing the power of speech, differ?

Harte

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 10:02 AM
link   

They wouldn't question fiction. They did discuss his concepts of rulership and so forth... but not in the context of "Atlantis did this and it was superior to our way."

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

They wouldn't question fiction. They did discuss his concepts of rulership and so forth... but not in the context of "Atlantis did this and it was superior to our way."

Look, I never said that Atlantis existed - I just gave reasons for why the story might have a reasonable explanation. Plato's story might have roots in an actual place which in his design grew into the atlantis story he wrote about.

G

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Look, I never said that Atlantis existed - I just gave reasons for why the story might have a reasonable explanation. Plato's story might have roots in an actual place which in his design grew into the atlantis story he wrote about.

Because there's only one older reference, and it's a genaeology and seems to refer to a person.

Because the ancients LOVED dramatic stories like a proud civilization that had been destroyed (ala Troy) and they wrote a lot of dramas about them (one of the clues that pointed to Troy was the large number of tales and plays and poems and statues commemorating heroes of Troy and heroines of Troy.

Because Athens defeated Atlantis in Plato's tale... and Athens had monuments to every victory ever won. None of them match (or are vaguely close to) the story of Atlantis.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Because there's only one older reference, and it's a genaeology and seems to refer to a person.

Because the ancients LOVED dramatic stories like a proud civilization that had been destroyed (ala Troy) and they wrote a lot of dramas about them (one of the clues that pointed to Troy was the large number of tales and plays and poems and statues commemorating heroes of Troy and heroines of Troy.

Because Athens defeated Atlantis in Plato's tale... and Athens had monuments to every victory ever won. None of them match (or are vaguely close to) the story of Atlantis.
At the time of the supposed Atlantis (c. 9000 B.C.E) Athens would not have existed anyway. All I am saying is that the story might have a basis in truth.

G

posted on Feb, 17 2007 @ 11:45 PM
link   
It is believed that Atlantis attempted to take over Egypt and Greece but failed because Greece knew Atlantis was a sea fairing race so they came up behind the island with an armada of ships and wiped out the Atlantians.

Critias was also a person who wrote about it.. I was told once that Atlantis was just an empire of mud huts and buildings and was washed away by a great flood but i don't like to see it that way..

[edit on 17-2-2007 by Tactical-Siege]

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Look: There is a new Web page with introductory literature on Plato's Atlantis under an academic perspective:

www.atlantis-scout.de...

Maybe interesting for some of you!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join