It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia To Buy C-17s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   
This is fantastic news for Australia.

www.airforce-technology.com...

I am pleased to announce that the Australian Government will acquire up to four new Boeing C-17 Globemaster III aircraft and associated equipment to provide the Australian Defence Force (ADF) with a heavy airlift capability.

The Government has selected the C-17 by for its ability to meet the needs of the ADF over the next 30 years.

This is the only aircraft currently in production which has a proven capability to meet ADF operational commitments, in Australia, the region and globally. The C-17 has four times the carrying capacity of the RAAF C-130 Hercules.

www.defense-aerospace.com...

www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

[edit on 4-3-2006 by Jezza]

[edit on 4-3-2006 by Jezza]
Mod Edit: Removed all caps title and added [ ex] tags

[edit on 3/4/06 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Excellent news! We've been seeing a lot omre of the C-130Js from the RAAF out here lately. The two of them will go well together.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Man the C-17 is just the dude when it comes to low and slow heavy lifting!

These beasts were tested here in the UK for the RAF at Brize Norton, and watching just how little strip they needed to take off was awe inspiring, and the landing speed -!! You could peddle a bike faster!

Good on the Ozzies for an astute purchase.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Now if only Canada would take the hint and buy these to replace the 16 old herc frames that are stuck on the ground. We need the airlift capablity badly so what I've been thinking is 3 options as follows. A400M,C-17,C-130J. Come on Canada get on it!!! Oh and all of this is an inderict way of saying good work Aus, Canada should be taking notes.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Sounds great... the C-17 is a great palne and it will do a lot of good to you Aussies...

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Its a good fit for the RAAF and meets thier deployment needs esp. in the Asian region. I wonder if there will be a followon buy for these aircraft by both the RAF and the RAAF?

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
I've been thinking is 3 options as follows. A400M,C-17,C-130J. Come on Canada get on it!!!

I suspect that Canada would rather close down Molson than buy the A400M after P&W Canada got the shaft on the engine contract for it

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Hckam got ther frst C-17, had a huge ceremony for it, made a big deal about how much easer it would be to transport supplies around the Pacific and interisland. After the Philippines mudslide, they loaded it full of supplies to rush over there, got ready to go......and broke.
They ended up having to grab an airplane from Oklahoma that was sitting on the ramp to fly them over to the Phlippines.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I have seen the C-17 up close doing low level maneuvers and touch and goes at March Air Base near Riverside. It looks like a flying supertanker, it is so huge! Extremely agile for its size, as well. The pilot was jerking that baby around all over the sky, and I could not believe the altitude and airspeed it was making those turns at. Really awe inspiring to watch.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 06:19 AM
link   
AUSTRALIA'S new A330-200 MRTT will be able to re-fuel them with
the refuelling boom system to..

www.airforce-technology.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 06:46 AM
link   
UK RAF has 4 x C17's currently leased pending the development of a European Heavy Lift Aircraft (don't hold your breath).

It certainly seems as if the ECHELON countries are beefing up their force projection capabilities to cope with the new environment of low-intensity warfare.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strangerous
UK RAF has 4 x C17's currently leased pending the development of a European Heavy Lift Aircraft (don't hold your breath).

It certainly seems as if the ECHELON countries are beefing up their force projection capabilities to cope with the new environment of low-intensity warfare.

I had heard that the lease has been bought out and that the RAF are awaiting a fith C17,such has been the positive feedback on the capability it gives the RAF.

top topics

join