It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michael Brown Admits Errors, Calls for Chertoff to Resign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Michael Brown, former FEMA director, is blaming the Homeland Security structure, which subsumed FEMA after 9/11, for the problems of the emergency response to Katrina. Brown insists that everyone who made mistakes during the disaster needs to come clean so that the system can be fixed. He is also calling for the resignation of Michael Chertoff.

The former federal emergency director who resigned after the heavily criticized response to Hurricane Katrina admitted Friday that he should have been more forthcoming about problems with the government's response to the storm but faulted the performance of his former boss, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, and called for his resignation.

Michael Brown, the former director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, was well aware that his agency was overwhelmed during the immediate aftermath of the storm, he told CNN, but blamed a "beltway" mentality that believes that "the American public can't handle the truth" for not making his concerns about the response public.

"I should have owned up to the public very early in this disaster -- probably on Monday and Tuesday -- that's how catastrophic it was, how serious it was, and that we were going to have problems," Brown said.

www.cnn.com

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I agree with Brown that there is plenty of blame to go around and that everyone needs to do some soul-searching and "fessing up" so that in the future response can be better. I'm not sure, though, that continued "head hunting" will help the situation. I think that that including FEMA under Homeland Security harmed the agencies capabilities, but that such was probably not evident until a disaster of the magnitude of Katrina came along.

[edit on 2006/3/3 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

join