It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sad news re: Duke Cunningham

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

What terrible news! One of the premier Aces to come out of the Vietnam War (and Top Gun), succumbing to greed...

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   
A Famous Vietnam era USN Ace Pilot having to face 10 years inprisonment for bribery. The poor man is 64 too.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
greedy greedy scum bag in it just for what he could get.

he may have gone in a hero, but he came out ready for collection by the devil himself. there all at it at the top, he just got drawn into the web of greed greed greed that has spread through goverments like cancer.

Just look at GW Bush and Sons..... They never lost any sleep over their shady deals, and I bet this man never lost any sleep over flogging dodgy crap to the military either.

I wonder if he was an interceptor vest fan over Dragon skin armour? Greedy bugger deserves ten years.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I almost feel sorry for the guy.
But, well, to put it bluntly, this type of corruption is destroying our country!!! Maybe if our elected politicians are made aware of how severe the consequences of their actions can be, well, they'll start representing us instead of selling themselves out?

besides if being elderly was a free get out of jail ticket, well, then...all I can say is hey, I'm almost getting to retirement age. time to sit back, do a few bank heists, and enjoy my golden years!!!

[edit on 3-3-2006 by dawnstar]

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I didn't know he was an Ace, and I think that's irrelevant anyway. People who are corrupt dont belong in the Senate or government, period. Nobody forced him to accept all that money and other bribes.
He got what he deserved

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Never heard of the bloke tbh, but I think what people may be feeling sad or sorry about is the tarnishing of a hero, rather than direct sympathy for the man himself, after all nobody can argue he hasn't got what he deserves but the fall of a hero is always sad.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 06:47 AM
link   

10 May 1972
This was a bad day for the Vietnamese Peoples Air Force, losing eleven aircraft. Navy fighters destroyed eight MiGs, six by VF-96 in USS Constellation (CVA64). Three of the MiG-17s were downed by one VF-96 crew, LT. Randy "Duke" Cunningham and his RIO, LT(JG) Willie Driscoll, flying a Phantom F-4J, ShowTime 100. Combined with two earlier kills on 19 January and 8 May, the victories would make Cunningham and Driscoll the first American aces of the Vietnam War and the first to make all their kills with missiles.

They were participating in a strike against the Hai Dong railyards, on flak suppression, when a score of enemy fighters challenged them.

www.acepilots.com...

For those that haven't heard of him before. It's pretty sad that soeone with his history would live through all that, and then get naled for something as stupid as bribery.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58It's pretty sad that someone with his history would live through all that, and then get naled for something as stupid as bribery.

What I find to be sad is that someone who served his country so valiantly and heroically would succumb to his own materialistic greed, literally throwing away all that he once stood for and upheld.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for Duke Cunningham. He placed his own monetary and material gain before the same duty to country that he once held in such high regard.

In my opinion, his acceptance of fault at this point is completely irrelevent and holds no value, period. If he truly felt remorse for his actions and indiscretions he would have fessed up and faced the music when first questioned, as opposed to outright denial of the allegations up until his conviction.

Sorry, Randy "Duke" Cunningham, but 8 years of 3 squares and 8 hours in a federal detention facility is far shy of the punishment fitting the crime. IMO

:shk:

[edit on 3/4/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I hate it for him and his family... However, I hope some good comes from this... I hope it will send a message to others that corruption will land you in jail. There's still a lot of others in congress (on both sides) that have done worse that will still not learn from this.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Duke is an all too common example of the moral decay in America. What once was beyond imaginable for an American politician is now the norm. Washington should be pressure washed clean of all incumbents and lobbyists. Hey!...I can dream ...can't I?

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Never heard of the bloke tbh, but I think what people may be feeling sad or sorry about is the tarnishing of a hero,

Really??? he had a fameous engagement where he shot down 3 migs over Vietnam making ace. According to reports that included the fameous Colonel Tomb who was the top Vietnam ace of the time (There is some debate that this pilot existed or he was actually a Soviet as well)

But I agree, he was corrupt and greedy and deserves what he got, war hero or not.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Yes, really Fred, after all, he's only an American

Joking aside, I'm not too well up on the personalities (for which read 'not at all') of the Vietnam war, more just the hardware. For example I've heard of the engagement you mentioned, just not that it was him.

[edit on 4-3-2006 by waynos]

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Yes, really Fred, after all, he's only an American

Joking aside, I'm not too well up on the personalities (for which read 'not at all') of the Vietnam war, more just the hardware. For example I've heard of the engagement you mentioned, just not that it was him.

[edit on 4-3-2006 by waynos]

History channel has a great program where they take fameous dogfights, give the background, then CGI the actual fight. Its really cool, but the name escapes me at the moment but this one is included.

[edit on 3/4/06 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Yes I remember that show, they had the special where “Duke” Cunningham supposedly shot down the infamous Colonel Tomb of the North Vietnamese. It was a pretty impressive dogfight of attack and counter attack, I especially remember the rolling scissors. And Fred I believe the title of the show was “Greatest Dogfights-The History Channel”.

As for the topic, I too am saddened that he had to succumb to bribery and greed. IMO this in no way tarnishes his duty and record as a service member, it just goes to show that even the best of us can fall to corruption

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Serves him right! If your greedy and corrupt, you deserve the punisment you get, no matter who you are! Wrong is Wrong!

However, it is truly disappointing to see a celebrated war hero end his carrier of sevice to his nation this way.

I guess you could say this is a warning to us all! Even the greatest amoung us can fall to greed and corruption if we aren't careful, Noone is immune. Staying honest and moral takes effort and Strength! It only takes one laps in judgment to fall!

Tim

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by MadGreebo

Just look at GW Bush and Sons..... They never lost any sleep over their shady deals, and I bet this man never lost any sleep over flogging dodgy crap to the military either.

B.T.W.: GW (our currrent President) doesn't have a son. He has 2 daughters. I think you have him confused him with his father Geroge H.W. Bush.

George H.W. Bush- 41st President, Married to Barbra Bush, has two sons: George W. and Jeb.

George W. Bush- 43rd President, Married to Laura Bush, has twin Daughters: Jenna and Barbra.

Yes, they're both currupt, but they are two different people. W (current president) is corrupt and dishonest, but don't give him credit for his dad's handiwork too!

Tim

[edit on 6-3-2006 by ghost]

new topics

top topics

join