It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Band Sticker on Bike Prompts Bomb Scare

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Band Sticker on Bike Prompts Bomb Scare
Authorities shut down four buildings at Ohio University after a police officer noticed a sticker that said "this bike is a pipe bomb" before finding out the message was the name of a punk rock band, a university spokesman said.

Patrick K. Hanlin, 28, was charged by university police Thursday after he came forward as the bike's owner, Jeffery said. The charge carries a maximum penalty of six months in jail.

Hahaha ... talk about paranoia, and stupidity. Seriously, how retarded can you get? Who hires these cops?

And getting charged for a crime, because you have a controversial sticker on your bike? That isn't a crime ... I feel sorry for Patrick

[edit on 3/3/2006 by SwearBear]

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Oh who hires those retards? Have they no common sense at all? At a university full of youngsters who dream up silly stuff all day long you'd of thought the police would have a better grip on whats going on - One question, how can he be charged for this as a crime? if its a bands name hes in the right i'd of thought.

My mates formed a band called the twat daddies. Thames valley police tried to prosecute but the T-shirt was deemed to be promotional (But distastful) and he walked. Stupid moronic power hungry morons

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
What kind of moron would think it would NOT cause a problem?
The police can't be inside everyones head. They have no idea what any given individual is thinking..

What if, something happened?
Various witnesses would say "I saw a bike with that sticker on it, and no one did a thing".

You go with your gut, in those situations..My gut would have said..get rid of the bike.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Freedom of expression at all costs!!!!...i'm glad he got off from the rent-a-cop/brown-shirt charges....once the liberty to speak your mind freely without recrimination is lost, democracy is dead....GO PATRICK!!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 04:14 PM
link   
but do you think a suicide bomber would walk arond in a shirt that says im a suicide bomber, if the band sticker was taken seriously, then the next car i see with a bumper sticker that says honk again im reloading, ill have to call the cops and tell them the person in front of me has a gun in their car, i mean come on, you cant even be original without someone finding a way to make it into something terroristic

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 04:32 PM
link   
B.H..I reckon if you DID report to 'Homeland Insecurity' of someone touting 'kill em all and let god decide' or 'don't honk, i'm-a re-loadin' tail-stickers (and jeez knows the number i saw on car tail-plates when travelling in your beautiful country a few years ago) they'd be dragged from their beds without a blink of an eye..that's what's being counted on-bigoted busybodies informing on their neighbours. DENY IGNORANCE!!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackhumvee113
but do you think a suicide bomber would walk arond in a shirt that says im a suicide bomber

Why don't you try this?
Go to a theater, or a public event, and wear the T-shirt you mentioned.
Let us know how it works out..

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Yeah the owner of the bike should have used a little more common sense. Stupid judgement on his part, he's already paid for that by getting his bike cut up.

But the real morans in this case are the University wanna-be cops that charged the guy. They did the right thing by calling the bomb squad....it was a judgement call. Nothing wrong if they didnt call....we can't be paranoid about everything. But to charge the guy...WTF!!!

There's a need for campus police. But they're still a bunch of cock blockin wanna-be cops that could'nt hack it in "real" cop training.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
So much for freedom, if your not allowed to put what you want on your own bike then I guess you have no oppinion. Bush-ites put pro-bush stuff ALL OVER the place and dont get touched when they have "nuke em all" type stuff but you get busted for something thats completely harmless. If I was an officer I would worry more about someone saying nuke em all than someone on a bike with a sticker on it saying its a pipe bomb. Heck, what idiot would use a bike anyway and go around publicly with a sticker on it? Just more paranoia, the person proved that the govt. is extremely paranoid I must say.

[edit on 3-3-2006 by Vekar]

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vekar
Bush-ites put pro-bush stuff ALL OVER the place and dont get touched when they have "nuke em all" type stuff but you get busted for something thats completely harmless.

This has nothing to do with politics or Bush, noone could possibly be stupid enough to think otherwise, imo.

If I was an officer I would worry more about someone saying nuke em all than someone on a bike with a sticker on it saying its a pipe bomb.

Not that I would have a "nuke em all" sticker...it's tacky. But that is not anything that could be considered as a direct threat. What's your point?

Heck, what idiot would use a bike anyway and go around publicly with a sticker on it?

Umm, that kind of stuff happens all the time. It's like calling in a bomb threat....for attention and publicity. There are people out there like that ya know.

Just more paranoia, the person proved that the govt. is extremely paranoid I must say.

True. But it was a judgement call made by the cop. The bike was alone, it may have been a bike that he has never seen before...it could have looked out of place, could have been a brand new sticker, etc...etc...

Again, imo, the only thing wrong here is charging the guy. He probably didnt intend to have his bike confused for a bomb. The sticker was really not that bad, but I can understand someone being suspicious with the right circumstances in play.

[edit on 3/3/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Really, openly saying nuke the whole middle east, threatening protesters, etc etc etc does not merit attention AT ALL (unless the cops beat up on them) but someone with a sticker does? It does have to do with politics, the police are more likely to jump someone who does not support bush than someone who is.
Most of what I say is metaphorical, most people get the picture quickly but I guess you didnt.
If this guy wanted public attention he would have parked his bike in front of a a police station or something, not at a school. Point still stands that police are jumpy and eager to take after anyone who might be a "threat" even if its just a bunch of kids doing nothing harmfull. Cops seam to jump anything that looks new and has a "suspicious" name on it anymore including govt. informers.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Vekar, Im gonna break this toddler style for you.

Campus police find a bike....

There's a sticker on the bike that says "this bike is a pipe bomb"...hmmm
On any other day they would probably dimiss it as just a stupid sticker. But what if (like I said before):

it may have been a bike that he has never seen before...it could have looked out of place, could have been a brand new sticker, etc...etc...

Maybe the bike was parked there overnight or for an unusual amount of time and the cop was worried..who knows. The cop made a decision to call the bomb squad..he probably knew it was not a bomb, but didnt wanna take the chance. No harm done so far.

The harm was done when they decided to charge the guy for having the sticker, that's the real issue, imo.

Yeah it was a paranoid for the police to call the bomb squad, but sometimes we need that. It keeps people in check with reality. We can't dismiss every little thing but we also can't act on every threat or bumber sticker out there. There's has to be a middle, sometimes it gets crossed...that's expected.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackhumvee113
but do you think a suicide bomber would walk arond in a shirt that says im a suicide bomber, if the band sticker was taken seriously, then the next car i see with a bumper sticker that says honk again im reloading, ill have to call the cops and tell them the person in front of me has a gun in their car, i mean come on, you cant even be original without someone finding a way to make it into something terroristic

Exactly!

SportyMB and spacedoubt, by their logic, would have you call the po pos on people with these kinds of bumper stickers. "Well, ah saw him reachin' fur somthin, an ah saw the bumper sticker, so ah thought, he might try to shoot somebody." Dee dee dee! Sometimes, people really make me wonder...

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 03:59 AM
link   
More insults, you didnt catch my drift at all so let me break it down the same way for you:
Cops jump someone for a sticker that says "this bike is a pipe bomb"
Meanwhile WALMART has a 12 year old investigated by the DHS and FBI for making a poster of I dont like Bush. THIS is what I am getting at maybe you didnt realize it, I am trying to state that it is extreme paranoia and besides most people dont leave their bikes out all night long, a cop would be dumb to think that a bike parked at night in a colledge is a threat because of a sticker, everyone is asleep so yes it will be around for a bit. Also most cops can call in and ask the SCHOOL security who owns it and if no one knows then you got your suspected "bomb" even if it turns out not to be. The fact none of this was mentioned shows the cop was eager to jump the gun. Let me sum the ending up for you: A 12 year olds poster is a nation threat, while a students bike prompts them being charged. hmmmmmm so who is more of a threat?

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   

A 12 year olds poster is a nation threat, while a students bike prompts them being charged. hmmmmmm so who is more of a threat?

Vekar, I said the idiot cops should not have charged the student....the student did nothing wrong. I said that in my first and pretty much every post so far. So why do you keep comparing free speech with a student and a 12 year old?

The campus police did go overboard, too far, whatever you wanna call it. But that was a judgement call they made to call in th bomb squad....it was thier decision, not yours, the students or anyone elses. If something would have went wrong then they would take the heat for it. Again, thier decision to make.

The mistake was made when they charged the student. Why? He did nothing wrong, he has the right to have a sticker that says "this bike is a pipe bomb"...as long as it's not like a cardboard sign (that could be bad
)

So why do you keep rambling on about free speech? We both agree.

I suggest you go back and read all the post in this thread.

Later
Sporty

[edit on 5/3/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Go reread mine, I go over it to show paranoia more than freespeech if you read them carefully. Thats why I had the 12 year old part in there which did happen just dont have any links about it since it happened about 2-3 years ago. Paranoia is what I am getting at.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Any excuse for a trial run of the coming police state.

It's gonna be difficult to figure out what is right or wrong by the sounds of it. Maybe I'll just stay inside all day long and never go out. Yeah that's it!

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Or you could go build a bunker and stock up on weapons and stuff in the middle of the desert or up it the mountains and dissapear. That way when the # hits the fan you can sit back with a Cuban cigar and puff away saying: "I told you so!"

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taikonaut
Freedom of expression at all costs!!!!...i'm glad he got off from the rent-a-cop/brown-shirt charges....once the liberty to speak your mind freely without recrimination is lost, democracy is dead....GO PATRICK!!!!

You haven't been to college lately have you? College police are neither rentacops nor brownshirts. They are sworn police officers and they uphold the law. This site details the requirements of being a Campus Police Officer in Rhode Island (click the adimistration link at the bottom) and these requirements are representative of Campus Police Departments around the country. More over, six months in jail is nothing really to sneeze at.

How about going to a crowded theater and yelling, "Fire," and waiting around to defend your First Amendment rights? I think your views may become more realistic.

[edit on 2006/3/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
The mistake was made when they charged the student. Why? He did nothing wrong, he has the right to have a sticker that says "this bike is a pipe bomb"...as long as it's not like a cardboard sign (that could be bad )

Have you looked at a bicycle lately. They aren't made of cardboard. They are made of pipe.

My guess is that the student will get off very lightly because it was apparently not his intent to cause harm, but it should be evident to college age persons that these are not the times to go about with idiot messages on your mobile property. If a law is broken and the police are a witness to it, they are usually required by law to cite the offender.

[edit on 2006/3/5 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join