It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wasington sniper does not Face execution in Maryland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   

BALTIMORE, Maryland (AP) -- Prosecutors will not seek the death penalty against convicted Washington-area sniper John Allen Muhammad when he goes on trial in May, the Montgomery County state's attorney said Thursday.

Now he is already facing the death penalty in Virginia, but it is not being pursued in Maryland. Has anybody ever been sentenced to death before in more than 1 state in court cases so close together like this?

Personally for his actions I think he should face a death penalty at every turn. I am normally against capital punishment for am open to it in certain circumstances. This being one.

This was a scary time in Wasington when he was on the loose, I can still remember the day he was finally caught.

Muhammad, 45, was sentenced to death after being convicted in a sniper shooting in Manassas, Va. Lee Boyd Malvo, 20, who also is a defendant in the case, was sentenced to life in prison for a shooting in Falls Church, Va.

Ten people were killed in the Washington area during a three-week shooting spree in October 2002. Of those, six were shot in Montgomery. Authorities also have linked Muhammad and Malvo to shootings in Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana and Washington state.

What does everyone think of this? Is it wrong not to pursue this, should he not face the maximum punishment for every crime he committed?

The deaths of these innocent lives in Maryland deserve the same justice as those in Virginia.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I think they should put him in a special solo mission operation force in iraq he >_> Sniper TEAM 0 HERO ahhahahaha

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by trIckz_R_fO_kIdz
I think they should put him in a special solo mission operation force in iraq he >_> Sniper TEAM 0 HERO ahhahahaha

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
From what i remember this was talked about right after the events happened, about how they wouldnt pursue it..

Dont realy care tbh hes dead regardless.

[edit on 4-3-2006 by C0le]

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
From what i remember this was talked about right after the events happened, about how they wouldnt pursue it..

Dont realy care tbh hes dead regardless.

[edit on 4-3-2006 by C0le]

True, but if your the mother, father, son or daughter of one of those lives he took, You would be wondering why the maximum punishment is not being pursued on behalf of the victim.

If it was your family, I am sure you would want this, so its not fair to say oh well.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Its true, I can understand that a family member or loved one of one of the victims of these senseless and brutal murders would want him put to death. I am sure many of them wish they could be the one to flip the switch when the time comes. But personally I think it is much more of a punishment to be locked in maximum security for life with no possibility for parole. I have seen shows where they interview criminals in maximum lockup and they say they would do anything to be allowed to serve their sentences in the prisons general population.

Thats just my opinion though, like I said if it was my family member or loved one I would emotionally want an eye for an eye.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
WOS I see what your saying and being faced with no hope of ever being free again would be very troubling. However I believe the thought of waking up in the morning and knowing when your going to die is much worse.

Life can be very bad for some people, but no matter how bad life can be, atleast it is a life.

You give someone on their death bed, moments from death the option of dying or going to prison for the rest of their lives, I say alot would go with the latter.

As I said previously I am 99% against capital punishment, but for certain situations as this one is, it is necessary. And it should be implemented for each one of the murders he committed.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
As I said previously I am 99% against capital punishment, but for certain situations as this one is, it is necessary. And it should be implemented for each one of the murders he committed.

If you sentenced him to death in several states that turns the death penalty into a life sentence. You have to keep in mind they can not put him to death while other appeals are underway. The fewer appeals that are pending means the faster he/they will die.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

If you sentenced him to death in several states that turns the death penalty into a life sentence. You have to keep in mind they can not put him to death while other appeals are underway. The fewer appeals that are pending means the faster he/they will die.

Yeah in that light it does make sence, as this will feed the better good of the situation on a whole. Still does not make the pill any easier to swallow for the families, but knowing he will meet his maker still has to allow them to rest as ease.

Such a senceless act..

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I've lived in Maryland all my life, and it doesn't surprise me that they're not pursuing the death penalty for that guy. Especially since the trial is being held in Montgomery County, which is liberal central. The eastern shore and western Maryland which is where I live is much more conservative and the prosecutors would have made it a death penalty case.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   

BALTIMORE, Maryland (AP) -- Prosecutors will not seek the death penalty against convicted Washington-area sniper John Allen Muhammad when he goes on trial in May, the Montgomery County state's attorney said Thursday.

Now he is already facing the death penalty in Virginia, but it is not being pursued in Maryland. Has anybody ever been sentenced to death before in more than 1 state in court cases so close together like this?

Personally for his actions I think he should face a death penalty at every turn. I am normally against capital punishment for am open to it in certain circumstances. This being one.

This was a scary time in Wasington when he was on the loose, I can still remember the day he was finally caught.

Muhammad, 45, was sentenced to death after being convicted in a sniper shooting in Manassas, Va. Lee Boyd Malvo, 20, who also is a defendant in the case, was sentenced to life in prison for a shooting in Falls Church, Va.

Ten people were killed in the Washington area during a three-week shooting spree in October 2002. Of those, six were shot in Montgomery. Authorities also have linked Muhammad and Malvo to shootings in Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana and Washington state.

What does everyone think of this? Is it wrong not to pursue this, should he not face the maximum punishment for every crime he committed?

The deaths of these innocent lives in Maryland deserve the same justice as those in Virginia.
Actually here in Washington the Green River Killer received a plea bargain in I think it was King County but I believe Pierce County is seeking the death penalty. So seeking of the death penalty varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. William I understand what you are saying and it depends on the inmate, for example Campbell (rape/murder of 3 ppl one a child of 13) had shanks hidden in his cell to try and kill Corrections Officers while one currently on death row isn't fighting it and wants no appeals, max custody isn't any fun but it is still living, they do have books and TV, 3 meals a day and visits.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 07:39 AM
link   
The victims in Maryland deserve as much justice being passed
onto the perp as those in other states.

Just because one state has declared the death penalty shouldn't
excuse that from being the sentence in other states as well.

ALL the victims deserve justice and recognition.
ALL the crimes deserve to be acknowledged in their fullness.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Just because one state has declared the death penalty shouldn't
excuse that from being the sentence in other states as well.

ALL the victims deserve justice and recognition.
ALL the crimes deserve to be acknowledged in their fullness.

Exactly.

Does anyone know how that would work, would both states work together in the process or what? If he is sentenced to death in one state, obviosly that would conflict with the needle waiting for him in the other state. Would they appeal, anyone have alittle more information on how that would work?

Has this happened before?

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Exactly.

Does anyone know how that would work, would both states work together in the process or what? If he is sentenced to death in one state, obviosly that would conflict with the needle waiting for him in the other state. Would they appeal, anyone have alittle more information on how that would work?

I remember that right after they were caught, there were some excellent legal discussions on the different strategies that would ensure that the guy would suffer execution. They included federal vs state charges, and which state should try him first.

One tactic was to have the state(s) that endorsed capital punishment have the first shot(s) at trial. Then it is most likely he would be executed instead of serving a life sentence.

I think, but am not 100% sure, that a sentence in state A must be fulfilled before a sentence from state B is served. So, if state A has life behind bars as a max penalty, then state B, which has capital punishment, would never get the chance to execute him. Make sense?

I'll try to dig up some of those discussions, when I have time.

Has this happened before?

Oh, absolutely. Take Ted Bundy, for instance. Wanted in several states for murder. Florida caught him, tried him, and executed him.

new topics

top topics

join