It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astroid coming very close 2006-3-6

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Ya it is going to miss us.
I dont think there will be any "echo" type effects being that its
so far away.

Does anyone know the orbit of the recently discovered comet ? I want
to know the best time to see it this weekend.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 06:54 PM
link   
The Comet "pojmanski" is Awesome! "Sky and Telecope" has great info on Comet and Asteroid too:

skyandtelescope.com...

East at sunrise, bring binocs, digicam and tripod.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 01:27 AM
link   
thanks, will look out for it tonight!

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   
The government wouldn't warn us, but not for the reason you would think. The reason why is because loads of amateur and privatly imployed astronomers would be all stirred up, which I havn't seen any evidence of as of yet, so they wouldn't have any need to warn us, they may try to cover it up though. As for preventing mass panic of an ELE impact, whats the point?
We'd all be dead regardless, so who cares about the chaos that ensued after the fact that we all found out.

Recently there have been loads of asteroid missions, and scientists are tryin to figure out how to divert one... I wonder why.

Which mission are you refering to? I can remember no such mission. I do remember one where they shot a copper ball towards a Comet to find out it's composition underneath it's surface. There was tons of unsubstantiated BS that it was going to effect the orbit, but those who were propogating that were obviously not that knowlegable about Physics.

As for the Scientists trying to find out ways to divert asteroids, they've been considering options for such an eventuality for decades now. Can you think of a reason why they shouldn't? We are, afterall the first species, that we know of, on this planet to actually concieve of the possibility of our own extinction, and we are also the first species, that we know of, to actually have the capability of everting that eventuality.

[edit on 5-3-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Why can't we use our home computers to search for near earth objects that could wipe out mankind... insted of just using our computers for SETI@HOME?

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
ah
its march 6th right
we didnt die yet !

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Did a quick search to ID earthquakes for the week following this event. Did not search volcanic or other geophysical activity. There was world wide earthquake activity - from Oregon to Taiwan - but nothing more severe than "moderate."

One Killed in Moderate Quake in Kashmir 10 March, 2006
MUZAFFARABAD, Pakistan - A moderate earthquake rattled Pakistan‘s portion of Kashmir and the country‘s east on Friday, killing at least one person and injuring 22 others, an official said.

Moderate earthquake jolts Islamabad, other parts
Islamabad, Mar 10: An earthquake measuring 5.2 on the Richter Scale shook the Pakistani capital of Islamabad and parts of eastern Punjab province today killing one person and injuring 22, head of the Metrological Department said.

Earthquake jolts Taiwan
HONG KONG, March 9 (Xinhuanet) -- An earthquake measuring 5.3 on the Richter scale hit Yunlin County of China's Taiwan at noon on Thursday, according to reports reaching here from Taipei.
According to the local seismological bureau, the epicenter was located at about 4.5 kilometers south of the Gukeng seismological station of Yunlin County at a depth of 9.2 kilometers.

4.5 Offshore Earthquake
Earthquake reported 100 miles off the coast of Gold Beach.
A 4.5 magnitude earthquake rolled across the Ocean floor this morning, about a hundred miles West of Gold Beach.

Earthquake jolts Indonesia's Java Island March 10 2006 at 02:04PM
Jakarta - An earthquake measuring 5,2 on the Richter scale shook Indonesia's West Java province on Friday but caused no damage or injuries, an official said.

Six persons injured in Gujarat earthquake
Ahmedabad, Mar 8 : Six persons were injured in Rapar taluka of Kutch district of Gujarat in earthquake which jolted many parts of the state late last night, official sources said here.
The earthquake measuring 5.2 on the Richter scale with epicentre in nearby Rann of Kutch had also damaged houses in many places of the district, an official release said tonight.

Moderate quake jolts Andamans March 10, 2006
New Delhi, March 10 (IANS) A moderate earthquake measuring 5.1 on the Richter Scale shook the Andaman and Nicobar islands in the Bay of Bengal, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said Friday.
The archipelago felt the tremor at 11.52 p.m. Thursday with its epicentre deep in the sea 10.4 degrees north and 94 degrees east of Port Blair.

Earthquake Jolts Turkey 9 March 2006 | 09:10 | FOCUS News Agency
Izmir. At 5.18 a.m. an earthquake was registered in Izmir region, online edition of Interhaber informs.
According to information from Seismologic Observatory in Bogazici University the epicenter of the earthquake was in the Aegean Sea and was with magnitude of 4 on the Richter scale.

5.6-magnitude earthquake jolts Indonesia's Aceh
Mar 8, 2006, 14:12 GMT
Jakarta - A moderate earthquake rocked the tsunami-devastated Indonesian province of Aceh Wednesday afternoon, but there were no reports of injuries or damage, a meteorological official said.
The 5.6-magnitude quake struck Aceh, on the northern end of Sumatra, at about 1:33 p.m. (0633 GMT), said Yasir, an official at the province's capital of Banda Aceh's Meteorology and Geophysics Agency (BMG).
Yasir said the earthquake's epicentre was in the Indian Ocean, about 35 kilometres west of Meulaboh, a district town on the western coast of Aceh. It occured at about 33 kilometres beneath the seabed.

5.2 earthquake jolts Gujarat
Posted online: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 at 0133 hours IST
AHMEDABAD: An earthquake measuring 5.2 on the Richter scale jolted several parts of Gujarat late tonight after which people rushed out of their homes in panic.

No reported damage after Vanuatu earthquake
Posted at 03:40 on 08 March, 2006 UTC
Police in the Vanuatu town of Luganville say they’ve received no reports of injuries or of major damage following yesterday’s 6.2 earthquake.
Strong earthquake strikes near Pacific islandAdd to Clippings
[ Tuesday, March 07, 2006 02:31:47 pmAP ]
SYDNEY: A magnitude 6.2 earthquake struck on Tuesday near the Pacific Island of Vanuatu, the US Geological Survey said.

Earthquake hits Lorca
Wed, 08 Mar 2006, 22:08
The city of Lorca has been hit by an earthquake. It happened just after 10am on Wednesday, and registered 3 on the Richter scale.

...My hypothesis is that oil, gas and water deposits act as planetary "shock absorbers" - so I wonder if the effects of this event were more severe than they would have been even 50 years ago.

Anyone know? Shouldn't be too hard to track if we know the orbit.

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
...My hypothesis is that oil, gas and water deposits act as planetary "shock absorbers" - so I wonder if the effects of this event were more severe than they would have been even 50 years ago.

The mass of the asteroid wouldn't be enough to cause earthquakes, especially at that distance. If that could cause an earthquake, then I think the planet would have been ripped apart by the much more massive and closer moon. ;

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid

The mass of the asteroid wouldn't be enough to cause earthquakes, especially at that distance. If that could cause an earthquake, then I think the planet would have been ripped apart by the much more massive and closer moon. ;

My understanding is that "echoes" are predictable, and result from magnetic perturbations. I'm looking for a domino effect here, likely well out of proportion to the "causal" factor.

Also, recent discoveries indicate that waves from the black hole at the center of the galaxy - mega trillions of light years away - also may have geophysical impacts.

My point being - very small, sometimes imperceptible influences can have much larger effects than seems intuitively possible...

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Also, recent discoveries indicate that waves from the black hole at the center of the galaxy - mega trillions of light years away - also may have geophysical impacts.

Well, that's more like 24,000 light years, not mega trillions.

Also, it has a mass of of about 2.6 million Suns (or 5.171192 X 10^36 kg), all packed into an area smaller than our Solar System. So I can sort of see how that could possibly effect us. A small asteroid, 3 million miles away though? Not so much.

posted on Mar, 11 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Dramatic? Me?
Mea culpa.

Seriously though - what's with all the "scientists" here who only acknowledge direct cause-and-effect, and refuse to consider causal roles for multiple factors in complex systems?

Tres weird IMO. Complex systems theory is currently accepted for stock market evaluations, but NOT for geophysics.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join