It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robot Escapes During Convention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 08:14 PM
link   
In 2002, a robot with high artificial intelligence made a dash for freedom during a convention in Yorkshire, England. The robot's name was Gaak, and it was one of twelve "predator robots" which were designed to find certain objects. During the convention in the Magne Science Center, Gaak managed to break out of his holding pen and creap along the wall until it found the door. The robot actually made it to the freeway until it was caught and brought back

Gaak made its bid for freedom yesterday after it had been taken out of the arena where hundreds of visitors watch the machines learning as they do daily battle for minor repairs.
Professor Noel Sharkey said he turned his back on the drone and returned 15 minutes later to find it had forced its way out of the small make-shift paddock it was being kept in...
Sharkey said: "Since the experiment went live in March they have all learned a significant amount and are becoming more intelligent by the day but the fact that it had ability to navigate itself out of the building and along the concrete floor to the gates has surprised us all."
And he added: "But there's no need to worry, as although they can escape they are perfectly harmless and won't be taking over just yet."

emphasis is TBS
www.theage.com.au...

This is one of the funniest articles I've seen in a while
. Professor Sharkey still has no idea how Gaak managed to break free and run away, though some believe that he was simply attracted to the light that was shining through the glass doors. So... evil robots seeking vengeance or a malfunction in the hardware??? I have no idea of how this happened either, so what are your opinions? Robotic Apocolyptic Doomsday? Ahh its already happening!!!:

DISCLAIMER: this image is NOT an accureate depiction of the gaak!!!!!!

Mod Edit: Posting work written by others. – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8-3-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
That's like... 4 years ago. AI would of progressed since then hmm. Could you please provide the link to this story? It seems.... not quite believable, especially the darn size of the thing! Whoah!

- Nazgarn

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Ok,

www.theage.com.au...

The small unit, called Gaak, was one of 12 taking part in a "survival of the fittest" test at the Magna science centre in Rotherham, South Yorkshire, which has been running since March.

Apparently it was a small unit, the picture you provided misled me on the size :Þ

- Nazgarn

[edit on 2-3-2006 by nazgarn]

www.abovetopsecret.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> Mod Note: Surround your snippet and link to an external source with these new tags: [ex] --> Begin external source content
[/ex] --> End external source content

[edit on 8-3-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   

TheBlueSoldier, originally posted by

". . . and won't be taking over just yet."

He he, I found that pretty funny.

Yeah, A.I. would have come a lot farther since then. Anyone been keeping tabs on that DARPA Grand Challenge where cars and trucks have to make it across a desert, totally autonomously? That means humans have no say at all in how the vehicle crosses 100 km of desert. Computers do it. Although that isn't actually A.I., the computers involved do learn how to navigate more efficiently, and that is just for civilians.

Could you imagine trying to convince a robot tank that you are trying to play golf and are not in fact carrying a Druganov?

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I dunno man a big bertha 3 wood and a dragunov look fairly similar... best to make it cue on the strange pants and shoes golfers wear.

Seriously lol... ok can't be serious about this one. But the headlines could have been worse.... Convention robot makes break for freedom only to be killed by luddite welsh trucker at a rest stop ,,, for example

new topics

top topics

join