It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A good handgun for home defense?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
I am with most people on having a shotgun for home defense while having a pistol on your person to defend your self. If it was up to me, I'd use an AK for both situations but that would be dangerous for people around me. (no don't freak out, I am only kidding)

10-4 on shotguns, GZ

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I personally own a S&W model SW40VE. Its a 40cal. replica model of the Glock. Very lightweight and pretty accurate. It comes with a 10 round mag but now they have 14 & 15 round mags. I like the .40 because it has more stopping power than the 9mm but not as expensive as rounds for the .45. Its a good idea to have a shotgun for home protection. Shotgun=good close quarter protection.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrchidLunar
Now I already own an S&W Sigma 380 but I worry in the event of a breakin this might not have enough stopping power.I'm thinking of buying something else.Now I don't want something as heavy as a 44 magnum,I'm a rather small framed person and I just don't like the recoil.Any suggestions?Does a 38 sound like a good idea?

The problem with the Sigma .380 is that it doesn't have any stopping power. I would reccommend a handgun such as a 9 millimeter or .40 caliber. I have a Glock 22 .40 and a Glocvk 19 9 millimeter. The nice htin is they have a capacity of over 10 rounds (15 rounds for the Glock 22 and 15 rounds for the Glock 19).
I prefer the Glock 19 for home defense. I just purchased one with a rail on the front capable of putting on a tactical light. You can get a Glock 19 for around $549 and a tactical light for $100.
I hope this helps. It is ideal for home defense. It is also ideal for concealed carry if you are in a shall issue state.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I wrote a veritable treatise on this topic not long ago, but I can't find it now, but, even though almost everyone has his own favorite firearm for home defense, I would suggest that you could not possibly go wrong with this choice.

Ruger GP100

More Rugers

These are also good quality choices for, if money is an issue:

www.rossiusa.com

www.taurususa.com

Other Choices:

Smith & Wesson

EAA Windicator

I recommend a medium-frame stainless-steel revolver in .357 because the .357 is such an effective round, revolvers chambered for .357 can fire .38Sp, and even 9mm rounds (with moon clips), and revolvers, especially in stainless steel, are easy to maintain, except for all those chambers you have to clean when you're finished shooting.

I think a 4" barrel is best for home defense, but shorter or longer is okay, depending on preference. The double-action trigger pull can be problematic for those with weak hands, but practice and exercise can overcome that and a single-action pull is an option if time permits.

Small frames are okay for small hands and if discrete carry is a concern, but we're talking home defense. You usually lose one chamber with small-frame revolvers.

Pistols (auto loaders) are not usually a good choice for those who are not interested in high maintenance and sometimes finicky firearms.

Rules of thumb:

Rugers are solid, rugged, and reliable-virtually indestructible. I own Ruger pistols and rifles. I don't own a revolver, but used to fire an SP-101 .357 on occasion and maintained it for a friend.

Smith and Wessons are known for their high quality and light, crisp triggers. Cops used to love these and they have a status symbol value. Auto loaders rule the roost with cops today.

Taurus and Rossi are South American sister companies and offer reliable firearms at competitive prices. These are favorites among security guards. I have owned both and can recommend them.

EAA is a well-respected European purveyor of pistols and rifles. The Windicator is made in Germany and somewhat less well known. Get some first-hand information before you buy, as this one is less often mentioned in magazine reviews and I have never owned or fired one. The price is very tempting and I have no reason to doubt their reliability. Ruggedness might be an issue, if you plan to shoot a lot.

[edit on 2006/3/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by bambam272
I personally own a S&W model SW40VE. Its a 40cal. replica model of the Glock. Very lightweight and pretty accurate. It comes with a 10 round mag but now they have 14 & 15 round mags. I like the .40 because it has more stopping power than the 9mm but not as expensive as rounds for the .45. Its a good idea to have a shotgun for home protection. Shotgun=good close quarter protection.

I agree with you on this as well. The 40 Cal has great stopping power and is more accurate then the .45

I qualled expert years ago with the .45 Colt Gov. Model, then got a chance to fire the Beretta 9mm. Big difference in power. Although the 9 was more accurate.

My Brother in Law is a 25 year Vet of the Dayton Police, he carries a .40 Glock. He swears by it. Easy to use, not expensive for rounds, and has a higher mag. capacity.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   
there ya have it the 40cal moe acurate and more cap then 45 and more stopign power than a 9

shotguns are good for SWAT and the mil b/c a slug will go right through a person and a wall while a 40 will prob stay in the person(HP) and if there are others in the house you have to keep that in mind.

if you have shot all your life and can handel a gun quite well i have read a AR15 with HP's is the best just like the mill nut you need to know what your doign and not live in the city lol go to the nabors

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Personally I like the Glock 20 in 10mm. I use it because I can use it for hunting and bear defense though for the average person it is more than they need so.....

I'd recommend the glock 17 in 9mm. With proper shot placement the 9 is more than enough. 17 and 33 round mags are plentiful (the average person needs as many rounds as possible and remember there is no one shot stopping power myth), reliable to beat all hell (i'd say with proper cleaning more so than a revolver), easy to clean, ammo selection is nice, built in rail, decently inexpensive, no need to worry about external safties, I cannot recommend them enough

Also, some say the 9 is small and or weak but shot placement is key, period. Once you pick which ever weapon you do just remember to practice and practice and practice.

On a side note discussing power in handgun cartridges is like discussing rank among privates

And another side note worry more about missing than over penetration

[edit on 7/3/2006 by Big Bad Wolf]

[edit on 7/3/2006 by Big Bad Wolf]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Yes that flag is dutch (Netherlands) Donwhite

Thanks for all the good advice, yes I am indeed pushing the pennies right now.

I'll let you in on my situation, we are on foodstamps, my wife collects SSI (due to disability), I am currently looking for a job, we just moved down here not more than 3 months ago.

We live in a relatively save part of the US but I soon am moving to the bigger cities to get an education, I know what it was like before (having lived in Council Bluffs IA, on the border with Omaha NE to give you an impression) and definitly know that defense is VERY important (yes even in Iowa).

My first purchase is definitly going to be a 9mm or .40cal pistol or carbine either that or a 12ga, then i'll go with something for fun like a WASR-10 or SAR-1 (Romanian AK), the XD-9 is still a little over 400 bucks now I checked some sites so that is out of my price range for a while.

So, I am barely able to pay the bills, and am not considdering this investment until I have some income as you might understand, but I am completely at mercy if I do get an invader of any kind, the only defense I have is a .177cal air rifle with a cracked handguard, hardly good defense (unless I use it as a club!).

Shooting is also a hobby but I can only practice it with my airguns right now, I can't wait to have the real steel in my hands to get some real experience with such weapons.

I will definitly recommend everyone in the US or any other place that allows guns to be owned for defense to get one if possible, "it's better to have one and not have to use it than not having one and having to use one." and "if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." definitly come to mind, defend your second ammendant (or similar law), it's your only chance for personal defense besides (cross)bows, airguns, muzzlelouders, blunt and edged weaponry, none of them are as effective as a firearm.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 05:32 AM
link   
If You're in desperate need of firearm try to find a used revolver .38/.357 it probably wont cost more than 150$
Or if you need a New semiauto go for Norinco, the chinese copies of Cz-75 and Sig226 are accurate enough forself defence (and with small "tuning" for IPSC Std.Div) They're cheap and just as reliable as the originals they were copied from. They're Finish is crappy and they look bad, but hey they make a hole in to the intruder just as well as a 1000$ Sig.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Having been on the bad side of a 9mm loaded with military ball ammo I can say it was a few moments before I even realized I had been shot so I'm not overly impressed with its stopping power. The round went streight through my leg leaving a nice round hole that didn't even bleed much. (a good piece of advice to anyone that may be married to a less then stable lass, If a woman has your 9 and says your not leaving the house don't laugh at her and say "what are you going to do with that? Shoot me???" She just may.)
First of all big calibers suck for home defense due to over penetration, the last thing you want while defending your family from a burgler is for that 44 to go through him then the drywall then your 6 year old. But you want a gun thats gonna put him down and keep him there so I would go with a 45 or 40 S&W and go with frangible ammo (bullets designed to expend most of their energy on impact like Air Marshals use.) Also you need to decide HOW your going to defend yourself, if you hear someone breaking in are you going to hold up in your room or go hunting? I your going to go investigate the sound I would say a shotgun may not be for you either. Unless you've been trained in clearing a building room to room long guns tend to get into the next room before you and are easier to wrestle away from you then a handgun. If your going to hold up in your room then a shotgun would be fine as long as you take the problem of missed rounds going through the walls into account. Your best bet is to skip buying a gun alltogether and rig your place so you can turn all the lights on and set a nice loud alarm off from your room, Lots of light + lots of noise = bag guys running away. Stay put, bar the door and call the cops if all you have to protect is "stuff". Bar your kids door and call the cops if you have them to protect, but get the lights on and make some noise if you want the bad guy to go away. Just my 2 cents, plus in allot of states loading and cocking a gun before you go investigate a sound = premeditation. Thank God I live in Colorado and we have the "Make my Day" law.

Gman

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
If You're in desperate need of firearm try to find a used revolver .38/.357 it probably wont cost more than 150$

Good advice, but the buyer needs to be very astute.

Or if you need a New semiauto go for Norinco, the chinese copies of Cz-75 and Sig226 are accurate enough forself defence (and with small "tuning" for IPSC Std.Div)

To my knowledge, Norinco has not been available in the US for more than a decade.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Grady
Didn't know Norincos aren't available in USA, Isn't USA supposedly advocating free trade and freedom?

But my bad anyway...

I'm lucky to live in Finland
Reason nr1: No actual need for home defence
nr2: Good supply of guns from any country (we've allways been in the border between east and west)

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
In 1994, by executive order Bill Clinton banned the import of the Norinco 1911 and the M-14 proclaiming them implements of war. I believe that this was a part of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban which expired in 2004. The exact details and time lines are a bit fuzzy, but here's more of the Norinco story.

In 1996, an 16-month Federal sting dubbed "Dragon Fire" culminated in the confiscation of 2,000 fully automatic Chinese AK-47 assault rifles that had been illegally imported into the United States from China. Massive arms shipments interdicted on U.S. soil are usually en route to Latin American guerrillas or drug cartels. Not this time. According to customs officials, the dealer (a Chinese immigrant reportedly working with two large Chinese defense firms) thought the ultimate recipients were "gang bangers" in the United States. The dealer also reportedly offered 60 mm mortars, rocket launchers, and "Red Parakeet" shoulder-fired surface-to-air missiles to undercover agents, who told him that they would be sold to right wing radicals in the U.S. and terrorists in Ireland and Latin America.6

During the investigation, the dealer repeatedly claimed that the "Chinese government knew exactly what was going on."7 This claim has not been substantiated, but court documents indicate that officials from two large, state-controlled Chinese companies were involved in the deal. Commenting on role of China North Industries Corporation (NORINCO), the Department of Justice stated that "[t]he shipment of weapons from the Dalian plant of NORINCO involved the active participation of that firm's PRC-based vice president, export manager and other officials."8

NORINCO has come under fire for other transfers, including the sale of missile technology to Iran. In May 2003 the Bush administration slapped a two-year ban on NORINCO imports as punishment for engaging in "missile technology proliferation activities." The ban reportedly cost NORINCO $100 million a year in lost U.S. sales.9 Assistant Secretary for Verification and Compliance Paula DeSutter has described NORINCO as a "serial proliferator" that escapes punishment from Beijing despite the exasperated pleas of U.S. officials. "For some time, we have been alerting the Chinese Government to our concerns about the activities of NORINCO," Sutter testified in July 2003. "Nonetheless, the Chinese government has taken no action to halt NORINCO's proliferant behavior."

[www.fas.org...]www.fas.org[/url]

[edit on 2006/3/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
You guys [in America] are so lucky that you can get handguns. Everybody in the US should own at least one. When the NWO storms in you won't be sorry.

Au Contraire, D/T/S/Q. Some people say 80,000,000 Americans own 280,000,000 guns. We have good statistics for the past 30 odd years, so I’d be inclined to accept those numbers, AS BAD AS THEY ARE.

For some reason I thought you lived in the British Isles. Regardless, only in America are you at risk of dying from drive-by gunfire, friendly fire or errant rounds. About 10,000 people die annually from guns. I imagine Los Angeles or Houston or Miami have more gun deaths a years than ALL of Western Europe. Which is to say what? We’re dumber than they are dumb? CDC statistics point towards the LETHALITY of guns. Nearly 30% of gun shot wounds are fatal. Less than 1/10th of 1% of all other accidents requiring medical care are fatal.

Finally, our Armed Forces are trained in urban combat, have see in the dark equipment, proven flak jackets and quick communications capability along with computer aided battlefield strategies. Armed citizens waging “war” on the US Armed Forces would be like a little boy armed with a cap gun. A lot of noise but no hits and soon knocked out of action permanently. No, D/T/S/Q, our guns are suitable only for killing each other.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by denythestatusquo
You guys [in America] are so lucky that you can get handguns. Everybody in the US should own at least one. When the NWO storms in you won't be sorry.

I agree with you, denythestatusquo. It's the gun-control crowd who makes it dangerous for the rest of us.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I would go with the .45. Its got knockdown power, and even if you miss the sound will scare the # out of any intruder and they will leave. But not before they crap their pants. I personally like the Bersa Thunder .45 ultra compact. 7 round mag, one up the pipe and loud as hell.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Well, I can always go with a Makarov which run about 200 bucks on average, Tokarevs are pretty cheap too as far as I remember.

Hi-Point, though ugly, they are VERY affordable guns with some interesting features, they come in .380, 9mm, .40 and .45 so they have all the popular calibers, I kinda like the look of their carbine as well.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Don't go for Makarov it's 9x18 round is a weak one and accuracy is doubtfull... Tokarev TT Pistols are old but good, the 7.62TT round is powerful and they have good penetration (maybe not a good thing for you) I personally like TTs but i assume ammo for them may be hard to get and the gun itself is quite bulky so not good as a carry gun...

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by northwolf
Don't go for Makarov it's 9x18 round is a weak one and accuracy is doubtfull

The Makarov is quite possibly THE most accurate defensive pistol of its size in the world today, this is primarily due to the fact that it has a fixed barrel that does not move during the recoil cycle. My own Bulgarian Circle 10 version will shoot a cloverleaf offhand at 8 yards - the only pistol I own that I can achieve that relatively modest feat with.

It is also available in .380ACP (which is even weaker), but I do agree that 9x18 is marginal at best in terms of power. If you are on a budget however, a new gun that can be had for $150 with ammo at $6 a box is a big plus. Not bad for a rock solid reliable semi auto with a DA trigger, a decocker and a chrome lined chamber and barrel, also, 9 rounds of 9x18mm Barnaul hollowpoints would generally ruin any attackers day.

And did someone say that the Uk doesn't have random shootings, oh puhlease

[edit on 8-3-2006 by Winchester Ranger T]

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 02:30 PM
link   
They are not as cheap as I thought either so the TT is definitly not a great choice.

The Makarov's ammo is expensive too compared the the more common 9mm Parabellum rounds.

What about a Star BM 9mm pistol? they often have crappy Finish but I just need something to keep me safe and make me sleep a little better at night.

They usually go around or under 200 at Gunbroker.

Link to Gunbroker

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join