It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexuality to be discussed in elementary schools.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by minority2000uk
I would say it be okay from any age between 8 to 12

- I agree.

It seems pretty clear children mature earlier than 'we' often give them credit for.
Obviously just how this is put across is vital but I don't agree that 8 is too young and certainly not 11 or 12.

Plainly there is a problem (though obviously not one that applies to all children) and the 'leave them alone, ignorant and at the mercy of every hackneyed old prejudice going' does not work (and I find that often a flaw in the counter-arguement to this stuff.....the truth is IMO that most kids are not introduced to these things by such campaigns, many of them know 'God knows just what' surprisingly early on without any schools information campaign(s)).

We should be enabling all children to live happy and fulfilled lives, not closing our eyes to the obvious problems some clearly still have - whether that be as one dishing out prejudice or one on the receiving end of it.

[edit on 2-3-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I generally only have two problems with the origonal article, and I realise as said above it's from last year.

The first being that it seems to want people whom are gay to come out, which in my opinion is something that the person has to decide on, not be pushed into.

The second is that it says the thing about Atheists, how does being an atheist have to do with teaching about homosexuality to little kids.

Personally I have no problem with elementary school kids being taught this, realistically kids start learning about sex, from many different sources, at about 8.
I myself have known about sex and procreation since before I can remember.
And alot of people my age have known about it just as long.

In the elementary school I went to, they had a mandatory thing thing near the end of the school year for all 5th graders, they split us up, girls in one room(s) boys in another, and we watched a video about puberty and sex, and basically about growing up, after that the teacher and this other person, answered questions and explained more about it, and it was'nt focused just on the aspect of sex, but more on the body changing.

Anyways, my opinion, kids should be taught about sex and puberty and stuff in third or fourth grade, and taught about sexual orientation, and how to accept people in 5th grade.

If I ever have a child/children, I'll teach them about sex and puberty when they turn 8, and throughout there childhood teach them acceptance of others.

Oh, and yeah, technically I am gay, but it does'nt mean I wont someday have a child.
(Though I never want to.)

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
The first being that it seems to want people whom are gay to come out, which in my opinion is something that the person has to decide on, not be pushed into.

I certainly agree it is up to the person and I think it's nice to let people know it's ok if they do. That's what I thought when I first read about it. Not to push someone to come out, but to let them know that coming out is ok.

The second is that it says the thing about Atheists, how does being an atheist have to do with teaching about homosexuality to little kids.

I totally don't get that either.

Generally: I wish sexual orientation wasn't something that had to be "broached" to kids. I wish it wasn't an issue and it could be talked about just like we talk about husbands and wives or love or family. Maybe someday...

[edit on 2-3-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Alright enough parent time. Why don't we hear this from a younglings point of view.

Ok first of all. Don't worry. I am in eigth grade I know WTF everything is and how it works. You don't have to be afraid of letting anything "slip" or whatever as most adults are around kids.

Ok, I learned about sex in I think 3rd grade. I knew pretty much what it involved.

By 4th grade I knew almost everything but I didn't know the exact things that happen.

by 5th grade I had got it all down. I knew everything pretty much.

Oh and by the way, can you guys please not make the excuse "your a teenager so your stupid." remark because that is by far the worst comeback in history I have ever heard.

The sex talks were unneccsary. It depends on the generation of kids, but my generation didn't need it. My sisters generation needs it soooo bad. They barely know anything. My sister didn't even know a really obvious thing yesterday. OMG it made me laugh.

Ok, from a kids point of view, the sex-ed talks are unesscesary but I would rather have a sex-ed talk than talk about sex 2 on 1 with my parents, would'nt you?? I mean c;mon you know you would rather. Because the guy or girl giving you the talk is not a close person and he/she is usally speaking to more people that just you.

Oh and did you guys notice barney on that site? What is he giving the sex-ed talks?? lol.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I think they should teach kids about sex starting at kindergarden, encourage kids to have sex in highschool, becouse the world would be a happier place.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
A lot of you people in here speak of talking about only parents having to teach their kids about sex. Well this is a perspective of a 16 year old sophomore in high school here. Whenever I ask my parents about sex, they always smile or laugh at me. Teachers at least answer your questions and make you feel comfortable when asking them.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I think I missed this thread the first time around, so I'll chime in with my two cents.

Frankly if I had children, I'd like them to be informed with the facts of life as early as possible. Maybe start slowly with the basics, then expand on those.

However I have mixed opinions on just how far a school should go on educating my kids, versus how much (and what) I'd like to teach them.

20 years ago I was a 5th grade student in ultra-liberal Massachusetts. The way the public schools began our sex education was an evening program where boys were in one room and girls another, parents present, completely optional, that presented just the basic facts of "growing up" and body changes. It was simple, short, and in my opinion very appropriate for that age group. I'd like to see my kids have a similar opportunity.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   
The really dumb thing is that at my school, when I "learned" about it (I already knew) all the sex-ed guy would do was talk about girls all day. Like basically how a girl grows up and so on. The other bad thing is WE WERE IN THE SAME ROOM! Ahhhh! So girls just listened and got (probably) really embarassed in front of the guys and the guys didn't get embarassed at all because he didn't talk about them. He was a little bit too graphic too. He told like EXACTLY how it happens. EVERY DETAIL! Okay thats a little but gross, I mean really there is a line you cross.

He was more perverted than any guy I know (and I know really pervy ones). I am not one, I just know em. I mean I don't just hang out with them all day. (just trying to defend self before I need to defend myself)

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I know in the article it says shown to kids "soon". But in your post it says March 11th which is a Saturday and kids don't go to school on Saturday. I don't know if its a mistake or something but I was pretty confused until I read the article.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
With all the outrage over the great sex talk in the classroom debate, I have an idea.... Parents are uncomfortable talking about it, and the schools feel that kids need to discuss this, so how about this? The school offers counseling and classes for parents on exactly how to talk to their kids about sex. The parents would receive information to share with their kids in a way that wouldn't be like the school is intruding, and the parents would have a solid format to teach.

The school could also provide family classes, where all members would attend in a classroom setting and the parents would be on the same page as the teachers. I would imagine that the same parents who have a big problem with their kids learning about human sexuality in the classroom, would make it a point to attend the classes.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Children are maturing faster then ever, girls now getting their periods at 8, and boys, well, you know what dropping as young as 9! New age calls for new rules.

Also, if the kid has been near a TV ever, he already knows about this, so what's the big deal?

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I think that it is right for parents to be the ones to teach kids about things like sex, but some parents don't see sex as a problem at young ages.

My parents have always been open about the situation, always joking back and forth to each other while me and my siblings were around. We have been familiar with it all of our lives, and I think that is why it kept the three of us out of trouble.

We did not have to "experiment" to know what it was. We were informed. Although I think Sex-ed classes are beneficial, they also made me wonder more. Diagrams of male parts made me wonder what i t looked like in real life, and so on.

As far as tapes for showing kids to come out as gay or not, I am not sure. I do not think that society in it's whole will ever exept gays or lesbians as normal people. There will always be discrimination.

Hey just a thought, what if this tape was a tool that the government was using to make gay marriage legal in all 50? I mean, teach kids at a young age to not hate, and eventually no one will vote against it. They will think of it as another step to being "completely equal".

posted on Mar, 15 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Ok, I'm definitly on the other side of the fence. Eight is still way too young to be teaching them anything. If they are seeing this stuff on TV, then they shouldn't be watching it either. At eight they are still kids. They don't need all of this garbage getting into them like this.

And people wonder why teen pregrancy is on the rise, rise in out of wedlock babies, and who knows how many more abortions because the school basically ok'ed sex for the kids. No wonder there is hardly any morality left in this world.

I'm sorry but my oldest is 8, and there is no sign of puberty. There are still signs that she is still just a kid with the wonder and imagination of a kid. She will learn when she is older, but not now.

Egads, can't you people at least wait to tell them until they begin puberty? Even then there should be no reason to go into detail or condoms, unless they specifically ask about it.

[edit on 15-3-2006 by Mystery_Lady]

posted on Mar, 16 2006 @ 05:02 AM
link   
who ideas is this.i find this is not right.in elementary schools.wow dont think little children should be subjected to this.who is the fool pushing this idea.sounds like a agenda of some type.i would take my kids out of that school and would also sue the school board also.there is no way sexual or gay agenda should be pushed upon young children.does anyone out there get the feeling the freaks who teach our children should be checked out.i never trusted teachers this is just alittle smacked.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join