It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexuality to be discussed in elementary schools.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:37 PM
link   

* "How are you affected by homophobia?"
* "How would you be affected by your sexual orientation were it different than it is now?"
* "How will understanding these definitions change your thinking about compulsory heterosexuality and homophobia?
* "How will it change any of your behaviors?"5

From a handout entitled, "Talking About Being Out" there was this:

* "Do you know of any people in your school whose sexual orientation differs from yours?"
* "How do you know?"
* "Are you comfortable with that person or those people?
* "What are some factors that might encourage or discourage a person about being ‘out’ as homosexual or bisexual in this class or school?"
* "Answer the above questions in regard to people in your class or school who consider themselves atheist."6

Taken from here.

On March 11 there will be a video shown to 61,000 Elementary schools, both public and private.

The video is produced by the We Are Family Foundation.

We are family foundation

I am sorry, but I have two children in elementary school and I do not want them discussing sexual orientation at all. I don't care if it is hetro, homo, or any combination at all.

I wanted to let everyone know, just in case you have children or know someone who has children in an elementary school.

I cannot believe that anyone could possibly consider talking about anything having to do with sex in an elementary setting. Man is this country going down in a hurry.

*Typo*

[edit on 2-3-2006 by K_OS]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Well I hope the kids are in Grade 6 at least.

I do have some problems with this. It sounds like they are asking kids who might be gay to share that information. I am not comfortable with that.

Basic reality is that gays and lesbians are discriminated against.

If one of my sons turns out to be gay (which I hope not of course - I wouldn't wish being gay onto anyone because it is such are hard road to walk) then I sure don't want it "shared" with his class. That would just set them up for discrimination.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by K_OS
I am sorry, but I have two children in elementary school and I do not want them discussing sexual orientation at all. I don't care if it is hetro, homo, or any combination at all.

I think you should probably let your school know how you feel.

Looking at the information presented, I would feel fine about it, myself. But then, my kids would have already been taught by me about different types of families. And that there's nothing wrong loving someone of the same gender or with having 2 mommies or 2 daddies.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I don't have a problem with it, it's all over the TV and it is a fact of life. We talk to our kids about it but not all do. Yes, I still have a daughter in ES.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Looking at the information presented, I would feel fine about it, myself. But then, my kids would have already been taught by me about different types of families. And that there's nothing wrong loving someone of the same gender or with having 2 mommies or 2 daddies.

Good for you! Nice to know there are still some parents who take responsibility for raising their children.

However, even though you've already talked to them about sexuality and so forth, are you still a little concerned about the possiblilty of them being "re-programmed"? At such a young age they are very impressionable, especially when something comes from their "Teacher" who they respect and trust, plus you have to concider the added peer pressure on them given the setting.

I'm not sure how much their information will differ from yours of course, but if it does, how well do you think your kids will do at knowing which lessons are correct?

[edit on 2-3-2006 by mOjOm]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm

But then, my kids would have already been taught by me

However, even though you've already talked to them about sexuality and so forth, are you still a little concerned about the possiblilty of them being "re-programmed"?

I'm sorry to give the wrong impression, but I don't have kids. I said they would have been taught... And yes, I would be very concerned about reprogramming of all subjects, that's why my kids (If I had kids) would not be in public school. In my opinion, the public schools of today are worthless.

I would hope to teach them that the final authority for any information would be me and their dad. That's how I was as a kid. I always checked things out with my mom.

[edit on 2-3-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I have been doing some searching and have found out that a group called ADL are the ones that are backing this. They are the ones who sent out the lesson plans that tell the teachers to have the students go to their website.

I looked up their website, because I didn't know anything about them, and they seem to be some sort of religious cult.

P.S. This is for ages K-5 I believe.

I am really considering home schooling my children. I don't think there is any reason for schools to be discussing sexuality at all, especially to elementary children.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   

On March 11 there will be a video shown to 61,000 Elementary schools, both public and private.

Urm.. the article is from 2005.

Dr. Dobson's Newsletter: February, 2005
Setting the Record Straight

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Here's the way I see it, we're specifically talking elementary school here. Now where I went to elementary school in Texas 5th grade was the final grade before junior high. I'm not sure about how many 5th graders could correctly comprehend those questions without help from a teacher. I'm not sure how many teachers would be comfortable having that responsibility thrust upon them.

Kids learn this on their own in time. This is in poor taste at the elementary level.
Besides that it sounds more like a parent's job.

Peace

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I missed that completely... Did this already happen?? I can't imagine not hearing anything about this.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I have been talking to my daughter about sexuality since I felt she was old enough. That's my job not the school's. My daughter attends Catholic school and they teach "sex ed" as required by state law. However, it's focus is on family and feelings not "mechanics". When I had custody of my neice many moons ago I was appalled at the public school's approach to sexuality. She was in the 5th grade when Planned Parenthood came into the classroom and demonstrated how to put on condums using a banana. The kids were embarrassed. I realize many parents don't teach as they should but I believe K-5 is too young. I also believe that the schools should send home a summary of the course material and let parents decide if it is something they want their kids to see. The Planned Parenthood episode was the final straw that caused me to send my daughter to Catholic schools I wanted morals in the classroom that reflected mine. All parents should be very involved with their kids classroom activities. I should also point out that our school teach respect for other people feelings and differences.

[edit on 2-3-2006 by gallopinghordes]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I missed that completely... Did this already happen?? I can't imagine not hearing anything about this.

I would assume it didn't happen if you didn't hear about it. Right now I'm trying to find out if this all started out as a hoax or something.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The reality is that most kids know about sex by the time they are 8. The same goes for sexuality. I think it is better to have these discussions in school at an earlier age because most parents are naive to this fact. Most kids have had sex or oral sex by the time they are twelve and the schools are recognizing this. I think Parents should praise the fact that the school are doing this.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Cant the kids just figure it out by themselves. I did. And I turned out all right. In fact Im sure most of the people here did

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   

That's open to personal interpretation, if that's the way someone feels about it then fine, let them teach their kids that. However if it was me I wouldn't want some government program telling my kids how they should think.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
For sure there was a video distributed last year.
Anyone remember the accusations of Sponge Bob being gay?

On Wearefamilyfoundation.org/ it does show that the video was distributed.

Over 100 Beloved Children's Characters Unite in Unprecedented Recording to Spread the Message of Diversity and Tolerance

March 10, 2005, NEW YORK – The much-anticipated children's music video of the smash hit "We Are Family," which features over 100 beloved children's characters including Arthur, Barney, Bear, Big Bird, Clifford, JoJo and SpongeBob, is being distributed nationwide this week to over 15,000 public school districts (reaching over 60,000 public elementary schools) as well as NAIS accredited private elementary schools. The video and accompanying teacher's guide demonstrate the importance of togetherness embodied in the word “family.” To celebrate the launch of this initiative, the video debuted today at Public School 87 on the Upper West Side of Manhattan and was met with extreme enthusiasm by students and educators who embraced the video and its message. In addition, local launch events will take place at elementary schools throughout the country this week.

I support the use of a tolerance video for elementary students but asking them how they feel about "compulsory heterosexuality" is silly.

Here is a pdf of the actual teacher's guide.
guide.pdf

You won’t find the above questions listed at all. The word homophobia doesn't even appear in the teachers guide. Niether do homosexual or sex.

More info on "We Are Family Day”" here.
www.adl.org

From what I've read this sounds like a good program. If any one has concerns about it I recommend getting in contact with their children's school.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I kind of agree with this...although I do not know what elementry is...is it like primary school?

If primary school I think it should be toward the end of it. But every child should be learning sex education sexual orientation at an earlier age these days.

I believe this as:

1. To promote safe sex
  2. Children are having sexual incounters younger and better to educate than play ignorant
  3. Stop sexual discrimination between hetro, homo or any other legal sexual orientation
  4. We live in a "free world" better to educate them than to leave them confused
  5. It can also hopefully help against bullying

Excluding the fact that I do not know what age group this is for take into account my start of my post. I do not see an issue with promoting sexualitys and the differences it is old fashion to see these as wrong or get society. It may help children understand why they feel differently or prepare them for the open world where they cant just go about shouting there mouths off against difference.

You accept different races and education of this within schools (Well I hope you do in this day and age) So what is the difference in sexuality being openly discussed.

Next sex education should be droped and they should just find out what to do and how to stay safe...Narrow minds cause issues in sociaty.

This is from a 22 year old Hetrosexual Male...I aint homophobic or like to think I aint...but never really knew anyone in the male sence but one of my best female friends was lesbian so I never see either sexuality as a cause for concern after all they are still people.

[edit on 2-3-2006 by minority2000uk]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   

However, in an article which appeared in the January AFA Journal, the pro-homosexual content on WAFF’s Web site was made public. Following the uproar that resulted, much of the controversial material was removed. The site was later completely revamped and the rest of the materials were deleted.

Moreover, the DVD’s companion teacher’s guide that arrived in schools also apparently underwent a slight renovation. According to MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann, an earlier version of the teacher’s guide – which Olbermann said he reviewed – contained three references to same-sex parents. The final version of the guide had purged those references.

It appears that it was changed after many complaints and before reaching schools.

Rest here.

P.S. on the guide it says is

7. Our Global Family
Review your school’s library collection for books that explore how our world
a “global family.”Use ADL’s online bibliography at www.adl.org/bibliography for help on what to include.

Who are these ADL people. I am sorry but I don't know much about them other than what I have read on their site and on the internet (looking them up earlier today). Like I said earlier, they seem to be some sort of religious organization. If so, it really surprises me that this was allowed. I remember reading something recently that abstinence lost major funding in high school presentations because of some religious factor.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by minority2000uk
I kind of agree with this...although I do not know what elementry is...is it like primary school?

Elementary is from age 4 or 5 to 11 or 12years old.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
So it similar to primary school here in scotland lol.

I think it fair enough to teach them at that age....especially if it goes up to 12.

I would say it be okay from any age between 8 to 12

top topics

<<   2 >>

join