It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

anyone for a game of golf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   

bbc
Russian cosmonauts are hoping to hit a golf ball into Earth's orbit from the International Space Station, setting a record for the longest drive ever made.
If Nasa gives the go-ahead, the attempt will take place during one of three spacewalks planned for 2006.

The ball will be hit with a gold-plated golf club, made of the same scandium alloy used to build the station, and is expected to orbit Earth for four years.

Some experts warn a mishap could cause "catastrophic" damage to the station.

The ball is expected to travel millions of miles - its progress tracked using global positioning transmitters as it gradually loses altitude through atmospheric drag.

this should be intresting since they expect it to orbit for around 4 years

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 12:27 PM
link   
"Some experts warn a mishap could cause "catastrophic" damage to the station."

That's what we hackers affectionately call a "shank".

I've done some damage to houses with tee shots, but causing a space station to fall out of orbit or depressurize would be something every golfer would be especially proud of.

Peace

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Holy cow... well the worst damage I ever did swinging the club was knocking out someone's window. Oh and I hit the cleanup cart at Chelsea Piers (only real NYers will get that).

I guess when dealing with orbits and zero gravity these things take on a much more serious tone. The question then is why take the risk?

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Theres a native Indian Prophecy that sys when the city in the sky is hit and falls, that will be a sign of the end times.....

hahaha a blooming golf balls gonna cause the end of the world... imagine it, astronaut smacks the ball, slices it through a window and causes catastrophic damage. the station falls to earth and WHAM! Gods fed up of our stupidity and slaps us all silly...again! ROFL!

Typical, a bloody golfers gonna cause more trouble than its worth just for a drive record...lol

top topics

join