It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What about the Red Cross and Guantanamo?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Just a curious question. After seeing all the reports on how the UN has been refused access to Guantanamo, how does that work with agencies such as the Red Cross? Are'nt they usually allowed to go into more or less any detention centre unhindered to ensure the welfare of the detainees and report back on conditions if neccessary?

I'm on the fence with this one. As said before, if you've nothing to hide then you'd let people in. However i know from experience that in combat you can't always be nicey nicey to people. A very fine line, and when that line is crossed in order to get the required results, it's something that people will always complain about. Probably not as much as when we don't do anything at all and let these people slip through the net though.

I was always proud to be in the armed forces, but i'm glad i'm not in any more!

CX.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
After seeing all the reports on how the UN has been refused access to Guantanamo, how does that work with agencies such as the Red Cross? Are'nt they usually allowed to go into more or less any detention centre unhindered to ensure the welfare of the detainees and report back on conditions if neccessary?

No one refused to let the UN visit them the UN turned down the offer.

The Pentagon had offered U.N. officials a visit to the facility, but Whitman acknowledged that the experts would not have had direct access to the detainees.
Fox News

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As for the Red Cross they visit it regularly as per the Geneva Convetion.

Red Cross Visits

join