It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disclosure is a bad idea.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:18 AM
link   
For as long as I can remember, I've been for official disclosure of EBE's by our governments... But I recently got to thinking about it. That may not be such a good idea.

Here is why I believe that absolute disclosure of aliens by any government would be extremely catastrophic.

The first thing we would see is a given... For a week or so there would be much looting and rampaging throughout from the "It's the end of the world!" types. It might calm down after a while, but only with assistance from our local friendly riot police. Most people will keep their heads on straight, but a new, reinforced distrust of government would follow, strengthened by the actions that will have to be taken to keep the first riots under control.

One of the next symptoms of catastrophy we would see will be found in our economy. The competetive drive of our industries would most likely cease. One of the key strengths in capitalism is the urge for companies in a market to compete with other companies. This competition drives companies to strive for more efficiency (lower input, higher output), resulting in new and improved products and technology. If suddenly every person discovered that their entire company's work had already been fully realized and rendered obsolete by another race, then the majority of people would simply give up. The general attitude would be, "What's the point?" This would result in humans becoming more dependant on aliens and their technology, instead of the developement of our own.

Not only that, but introduction of new technologies would automate most (probably nearly all) industrial processes in the workplace, leaving millions of workers unemployed all over the world. Even though this would gradually occur anyhow due to automation resulting from a natural developement in our own technology, this would cause it to happen so spontaneously that a complete economic depression would be imminent; unavoidable.

Without jobs to maintain income, no money would be available to spend on products and services, and since no companies would be earning any money, they would collapse entirely.

The depression would bring uprisings and riots throughout the world, leaving most, if not all, of our governments overthrown.

In the ensuing chaos, those with power (money and resources) would sieze the opportunities to grab even more power, and wage private wars with others for gain of more resources, until only a few remain to rule over the confused masses...

And this is assuming that the aliens don't just come in and take control of everything.

There's probably much more to it, and I know I'm not the only one who's had the same thought.

Not only do I now think it is not a good idea for disclosure to happen, I don't think it ever will happen. Not by our government, anyways... It would have to be by aliens themselves.

But here's what I think will actually happen... It's the only thing that makes sense to me right now. Unless someone can convince me otherwise.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2-3-2006 by CloudlessKnight]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Disclosure is happening now I believe, look at all the ufo sightings etc. The aliens are in charge and not the dummy humans that think they are in control. Disclosure will be a result of the conflict between battling alien forces that many talk about.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:41 AM
link   
that is quite an interesting post... have you ever thought that aliens may be mankinds only hope to avoid self destruction (brinksmanship)??? i want discloser to happen because aliens hopefully are smart enough to convince all countries that building nuclear weapons of any kind will lead to war, because then other countries will build them, theyll get into the wrong hands and boom bye bye earth. if aliens mastered space travel then they should know a thing or 2 about solving earths problems.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by stuffofnightmares have you ever thought that aliens may be mankinds only hope to avoid self destruction.

For all of our sakes i hope there IS someone out there tryin to stop us from doin that....in the big picture...The human race is the "villan"...As a whole, we are greedy and naturally aggressive creatures...Once we obtain control or power of something....what do we go after then???....the answer is"MORE POWER"... so what im sayin is that i hope that we are bein watched over so we dont do anythin dumb coz in comparison we are an ignorant and quite an arrogant race...

[edit on 2-3-2006 by STAKZ]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by STAKZ

Originally posted by stuffofnightmares have you ever thought that aliens may be mankinds only hope to avoid self destruction.

For all of our sakes i hope there IS someone out there tryin to stop us from doin that....in the big picture...The human race is the "villan"...As a whole, we are greedy and naturally aggressive creatures...Once we obtain control or power of something....what do we go after then???....the answer is"MORE POWER"... so what im sayin is that i hope that we are bein watched over so we dont do anythin dumb coz in comparison we are an ignorant and quite an arrogant race...
[edit on 2-3-2006 by STAKZ]

That's why keeping us contained and ignorant is the best strategy for any extra-terrestrial race. No matter what their alignment, benevolent or malevolent. It's not only for their benefit, but for ours as well.

As a whole, we're just not at the point in our evolution (physically, emotionally, mentally, socially, technologically, or spiritually) where we should be making contact with other intelligent races.

However, I would say that we are close... Very close. Many of us may already be ready. But the world?

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Sorry but you get a big fat
from me.

I think it would be a good thing. Maybe not a first, but it's something the government needs to tell us. A lot of people already believe aliens have been here, so I don't think it would be too big of a deal.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
What makes you think for one moment that the wonderful "gov" will ever tell us anything ?

they have kept quiet for the last 60+ years and are not gonna talk now or ever. especially with GW as president and the losers he brought along for the ride...those guys could not tell the truth to save their life.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
If the government were to finally reveal any of the classified information concerning ufo's and the like, it would have to be extremely gradual.

We wouldn't want another War of the Worlds incident on our hands.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by meshuggah1324
Sorry but you get a big fat
from me.

I think it would be a good thing. Maybe not a first, but it's something the government needs to tell us. A lot of people already believe aliens have been here, so I don't think it would be too big of a deal.

Lol, that's alright; I don't think I effectively explained my point of view. I agree with you, actually. I don't actually think that disclosure is a bad idea. Although there would be many difficult stages to go through, I would still want disclosure. I actually welcome it and all the changes that would come with it... No matter the hardships (and trust me, there will be hardships). I'm not the biggest fan of our governments and economies anyways. A lot of people will have to leave their comfort zones.

To reiterate, I guess my point is: Disclosure is not for the faint of heart. And from the government's point of view, disclosure really is a bad idea... They'll lose control of everything. And that's the last thing that "they" want.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:44 PM
link   
You might want to think of it this way.

1) The "coverup" is not only employed by those in the ivory towers, but by the "aliens" themselves. It would not exist if they didnt want it to.

2) Once "aliens" were introduced to the public; or any exotic/advanced culture, one thing according to the Brookings Institution Study would occur without question. Aculturation.

Aculturation isnt as damning as it sounds, thats not saying it would be easy for everyone. Their culture would swallow our own. Anytime a technologically advanced society meets with those who are not as advanced, the lesser is absorbed into that advanced culture.

In a study on UFO conducted I believe between the 40's/50's, one scientist remarked about "aliens"/'the UFO problem" (and read this carefully):

"These beings seem to only have as much ability to enter our reality as we give to them. The best defense in that case would be all out denial."

If thats to be believed, then just the admittance of the objective and subjective reality of the alien issue would bring them to us in masses.

Belief constitutes reality.

Consider those in mass ufo sightings who see different objects, or beings. Some who see none at all.

Consider that back in the 1950's the rage in contemporary design was the "fin". 1957 Chevy's, right down to Mom's toaster has some sort of "fin" sleeked design. Know what...so did the UFO's.

Fast forward to today's UFOs, the sleek spherical, almost reminisent of our contemporary design, of minimalism.

Think this is an accident? I dont believe it is. To truly study the UFO/aliens question you have to get outside the stereotypical "ET" hypothesis, the govt. coverup, Roswell, and all that other stuff.

Look at the big picture. Not one pivotal case...all of them. Then look at the most important part of the UFO question.

Us.

Whats was the culture like? Modern design, cultural icons, films. What was the pulse of the time?

You'll find them eerily similar.

Why...do ya think.

Contemplate for a second that the subjectiveness of the experience is created, by us. Not one single individual, but our collective culture. And if we're "making" this, as it applies to our perception of it...then what, is it?

"It" clearly doesnt want us to know. Or...we can't know. Or...it's beyond our perception.

Every once in awhile I read a question like the original creator of this thread asked, and I try again to convey as best I can the way I view all this. People hear of a UFO sighting, or alien sighting, and they concentrate SO much on the event, rather then the surroundings, people (in depth) or the state of the area or world at that time. I believe the answer lies there. It's at least a starting point.

UFO's, "aliens", little green men from planet X, demons, fairies, dragons, goblins, elves...are a sympton. They are not an answer. Get it? Think bigger.

I'll leave ya with some words that a guy said a long time ago, a guy I believe just happens to hold the keys to the universe:

"As ye believe, so shall it be."

~Jeff

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by stuffofnightmares
i want discloser to happen because aliens hopefully are smart enough to convince all countries that building nuclear weapons of any kind will lead to war, because then other countries will build them, theyll get into the wrong hands and boom bye bye earth. if aliens mastered space travel then they should know a thing or 2 about solving earths problems.

Fallacy. We have mastered many things that our ancestors would think would lead to the cessation of wars; yet we war on. Let these super-intelligent beings come to us...and we will see the reason (as do they) for conflict and war.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
jritzmann, that's certainly something to think about.

However, I'd like to elaborate on the point I'm trying to get across.

Our government and economies would have to be completely reformed before disclosure would have a directly beneficial affect on our societies. That's not to say that I think it shouldn't happen, just that we need to be thinking through things one step at a time. If disclosure happened immediantly, with the world in its current condition, many would suffer from the following wars, starvations, revolutions, and other such things yet unforseen.

Our current social structures just can't handle it. It's not that people can't individually come to terms with it, it's that our present way of life can't. If you're pressing for disclosure now, before we're ready, then you better be prepared to face the challenges ahead. These challenges might seen easy in theory and text, but when the time comes, will you actually rise to them?

And then, when you're done thinking about yourselves, think about those around you. Are they ready, or even capable of taking on such drastic changes? Are you willing and prepared to take the leadership roles necessary to bring others out of darkness, after dragging them into it?

I'm not saying it can't be done... but will it be done?

Disclosure is not to be demanded lightly, just because you want to be in one the big secret. We all need to think more carefully of such consequences.

Let's look at capitalism as an example. The fuel for capitalism is the competition amoungst ourselves... this helps to produce better technologies. It's not a perfect system, but at this moment in time, it works. So what do you think will happen when suddenly everyone realizes that we're not competing with ourselves anymore? What do you think will happen when everyone realizes we are competing with a race that already possesses technology that far surpasses human technology?

The answer, as jritzmann pointed out, is aculturation. We will stop producing human technology and become completely dependant on alien technology, putting aliens in an even better position of power over our species.

Is it a good idea to forget everything that we have struggled to learn on our own just because some other race comes along and offers us something "better", shaded as it may be? If we've worked all this time just to have someone skip us ahead a whole bunch of steps, then what has all the effort been for all of these thousands of years? Have some dignity, for crying out loud! Have some pride.

Stop whining for aliens to come make the world better, and go make it better.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I can totally see your point, but some of that is rather nuts and bolts, as opposed to a complete departure from what we perceive as reality.

This is bigger then disclosure...what are they going to disclose? At this point a technologically far superior race wouldnt have an issue controlling...well, anything. Anything physical.

Scary thought eh? Now picture this: an advanced culture, far superior in spiritual/mental-meld development...so far in fact they appear to us as we would want to see them. Perhaps they are past even physical bonds, bonds we loosely call reality.

Aculturation. Yeah right....with what. ET? There's not any proof theyre ET to start with. Thats what our culture has attached to the symptom of the experience.

Again, the bigger picture. Think about it. Since Ken Arnold...hell since far before him....not ONE shred of physical proof. Yet something is there. Something that is not us...but relies on part of us. At least collectively if nothing else.

So whats inside the flying saucers.

Whatever you want there to be.

Now...think about interaction with that on ground level. Now that, is scary.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   
If disclosure were to occur I believe it should be done in gradual steps to not alarm the general public so much. I understand many people might have concerns that aliens would disrupt the status quo and cause turmoil with our economy and life in general. Fears such as aliens introducing new technology that would put some people out of work might make one fearful if you thought it was going to put you out of work. If suddenly say gold or oil could be manufactured dirt cheap, everyone in the oil and gold business would be on pins and needles trying to stop it if they could and a stock market crash might occur causing many to lose financial security. There are a lot of fears.

If disclosure were to occur, I believe the first step should be something like a government announced discovery of ancient ruins on the Moon or Mars. Then people could argue over whether our ancestors were more advanced than we thought or if it was alien. The concept would be introduced to the public at large other than in a fictional movie. Of course that is assuming that such a ruin exists and we find it. Perhaps it doesn't and I'm thinking too sci fi right now.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Oh come on... LIVE A LITTLE!
I think people would be FARRRR more accepting of aliens than bird flu or nuclear war flare-ups. There are a number of catastrophic scenarios to weigh up but alien disclosure would have to be pretty low down that list. Anyone with their knickers in a bundle should just get a grip.

In the long run, disclosure would benefit mankind. Antigravity technology would finally be out in the open. We would be off fossil fuels forever. Our overall cost of living would astronomically dwindle. The world economy would be transformed for the better. There's no real downside to disclosure - apart from those with something to lose, and we all know who they are.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
BUt then again, you never know if the greys enjoy a coke now and then, and earth is the cheapest place to get it

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by CloudlessKnight

One of the next symptoms of catastrophy we would see will be found in our economy. The competetive drive of our industries would most likely cease. One of the key strengths in capitalism is the urge for companies in a market to compete with other companies. This competition drives companies to strive for more efficiency (lower input, higher output), resulting in new and improved products and technology. If suddenly every person discovered that their entire company's work had already been fully realized and rendered obsolete by another race, then the majority of people would simply give up. The general attitude would be, "What's the point?" This would result in humans becoming more dependant on aliens and their technology, instead of the developement of our own.

Not only that, but introduction of new technologies would automate most (probably nearly all) industrial processes in the workplace, leaving millions of workers unemployed all over the world. Even though this would gradually occur anyhow due to automation resulting from a natural developement in our own technology, this would cause it to happen so spontaneously that a complete economic depression would be imminent; unavoidable.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I dont agree, i think that competition would only increase. Can you imagine the line up of CEO's wanting to get in on the action of any technologies that may be introduced by benevolent et's.
Not only that but this would also ultimately open up our solar system to exploration and development with the likely hood that propulsion systems far in advance of anything that we have would become available.
Colonisation would be the next step,rather than a depression i expect that world economies would boom.Remember what has happened on our own small piece of rock whenever new countries/lands were discovered.Industry starts up,adventurous types blaze the trail for others to follow.
If it is being kept quiet it is for this reason,aliens would realise that opening up the stars to the human race could well mean the end for them no matter what advanced technology they possess.Give us an inch and we'll take a mile.Just look back through our history.

Much Love
M4S

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
As long as the question "are we alone"? is officially answered by disclosure every other minuscule detail will become just a worry. As much as we'd like to believe and people of this forum would like to believe that we are no alone, the majority of the world stands not convinced.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schizoflux
As much as we'd like to believe and people of this forum would like to believe that we are no alone, the majority of the world stands not convinced.

Oh, you'd be surprised. At our workplace, I've had the janitor come up to me, the storeman, fellow workmates, all enter a discussion on how they believe there is a definite alien coverup. These people are kinda middle-aged and not internet users, they certainly don't go around frequenting forums and websites, they wouldn't even know where the on button for a computer is! But somehow, they are knowledgeable on the conspiracy and do a lot of reading through other channels / people. I don't think you can quite be qualified to speak for the rest of the world, you'd be surprised who has an inner gut feeling about this yet won't talk about it for fear of ridicule.

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
CloudlessKnight,
The Brookings Institution did an indeapth study of disclosure back in the early 90s and came to the same conclusions you did.

I agree with those of you that think the gov's of the world will never allow disclosure.

For governments to admit they don't have the power they claim too and are actually impotent to an outside entity is an open invitation to anarchy and chaos.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join