It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Seeks Malaysian Support in Nuclear Row

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:20 AM
link   
The Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad arrived here in Malaysia on Wednesday on his international campaign to gain support for his country's nuclear programme. Mr Ahmedinejad will be speaking at a conference pertaining to the issue on Thursday during a business luncheon.

Iran president seeks Malaysian support for nuclear policy

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters): Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad on Wednesday takes his international campaign to win support for his country's nuclear programme to Malaysia -- an influential Muslim nation with strong U.S. ties.

Malaysia chairs both the world's largest grouping of Muslim nations, the Organisation of the Islamic Conference, and the Non-Aligned Movement, and has given Iran moral support for what Tehran insists is a peaceful nuclear programme.

"We will be briefing the Malaysian side on Iran's peaceful nuclear technology achievements and the purpose of its activities," an Iranian embassy official told Reuters.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

And the follow-up to that report:

Malaysia uses Iranian president's visit to urge calm

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Malaysia called for calm in the row over Iran's nuclear programme on Thursday as it welcomed visiting President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad with a 21-gun salute.

Ahmadinejad is visiting Malaysia, an influential Muslim country and ally, as part of a campaign to assure the world community that Iran's nuclear ambitions are peaceful.

The president, dressed in a grey suit, inspected a guard of honour outside parliament house in Kuala Lumpur but did not speak to the crowd or reporters, leaving Malaysia's foreign minister to address Western fears that Iran wants to build nuclear arms.

[...]

Ahmadinejad, who has struck a defiant tone in rejecting European and U.S. suspicions, is due to speak later on Thursday at a business luncheon before meeting Malaysia's prime minister for talks and giving a joint news conference with him.

The trip is billed purely a bilateral visit but Malaysia is an influential friend in the nuclear row, which risks escalating next week when the United Nations' nuclear watchdog is to issue a report on Iran's nuclear activities.

The Southeast Asian nation currently chairs both the world's largest grouping of Muslim nations, the Organisation of the Islamic Conference, and the Non-Aligned Movement.

Plus a report of what the Iranian President said in brief:

Iran president says West trying to control global oil resources

KUALA LUMPUR (AP) - Visiting Iranian president said on Thursday that Western powers were trying to control the world's oil resources and create a climate of fear that was forcing countries to stockpile weapons.

"Many of the resources of nations are going to waste in a climate of fear, being pushed toward the use for the production of arms and stockpiling of weapons,'' visiting President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said in a speech to Malaysian and Iranian business leaders.

"The main root cause of this is because of the excessive demands of certain ruling powers over certain parts of the world,'' said Ahmadinejad, who arrived here late Wednesday on a three-day visit.

I'll post the full transcript to his speech later if I can find it.

[edit on 2-3-2006 by Beachcoma]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Man, I would really like to believe this guy. I really want to think that if everyone else can have nuclear "stuff", be it power plants or a bomb, then why can't Iran? But I think this guy has proven that he is friggin nuts. This is the first article containing quotes by him that arent fanatical raving about the destruction of something.

He has a great point about how a lot of nations are forced to stockpile weapons in response to our threats. I am sure Iran, Venezuela, etc...would be much happier spending that money on food and other necessities.

I dont believe in being world police, but I do believe in a moral obligation to Israel, and at least quasi-world-peace. I dont know whether this guy is really nuts, or if it is media spin. I hate being on the fence...what do I believe?

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The Iranian President is saying he will continue working with the IEAE on the nuclear issue. Looks like we managed to talk some sense into him.

Iran to continue nuclear activity under IAEA eye

PUTRAJAYA, Malaysia (Reuters) - Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Thursday his country would continue its nuclear activities under the supervision of the U.N.'s International Atomic Energy Agency. "Our activities will continue in the context and the framework of the agency and the NPT," Ahmadinejad said, speaking through an interpreter at a joint press conference with Malaysian Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi.

He added, "We are going to continue on this road under the supervision of the agency and according to the regulations."

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
HOORAY!!!

(not a one liner)

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   

The Iranian President is saying he will continue working with the IEAE on the nuclear issue. Looks like we managed to talk some sense into him.

I hope so, but I doubt it. They are masters at stalling an issue.

I wonder if the guy owns a tie? I hate them, but he never wears one. Odd for the prez of a nation not to dress more formally.

new topics

top topics

join