It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vegan Sushi Anyone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   
HI All,
As some of you already know, I'm about 6 months pregnant. The problem is, I am a HUGE sushi lover. Unfortunately, in my "delicate" condition, sushi is waaaay out of the question. Here's the problem, its the only food I am craving! Apparently the risks of raw fish aren't worth it. Could anyone provide me with some hand roll recipes that have the taste of real sushi, but without the obvious part "Fish"? Ive found a couple online, but I want to know if they taste good, so I'd rather hear from people who may have tried it. Please help me, otherwise I'll be forced to eat lettuce and dressing sandwiches to stave off the cravings.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:18 AM
link   
You can try Inari Sushi (www.hub-uk.com...). Personally i like these alot.

I dont know any recipes for nori maki (the most common kind) or whatever its called but you can pretty much put whatever you want, like avocado or crab or whatever.

[edit on 2-3-2006 by pkpao]

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Thank you so much for the link, I also went to PETA's website, (Ifigured who better to get vegan recipes from) They had some good ones. Awhile ago surfing the web, I came across online dealers of imitation meats and fish, which I can't remeber what they were. If you have any idea of where they may be I would appreciate it

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Fish used in sushi retaurants is more than likely "sushi grade", the best of the best. I wouldn't worry about any problems. On the other hand, sushi bought prepackaged in the grocery store is more than likely not "sushi grade". That's the stuff you'd want to be wary about in your condition.

Vegan sushi is alright I guess, but it lacks that ooooomph that the raw fish gives sushi.

I'm like the Cookie Monster of sushi. I can't get enough of it.

Peace

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I totally understand where youre coming from, when I order it, Ill usually get 2 salmon skin rolls, 2 spicy tuna rolls, a boston roll and maybe rainbow roll. EVERYTHING MUST HAVE Tobiko on it
My sushi bill alone is somewhere between 20 and 30 bucks myself. I wouldn't worry about the restaurant grade sushi, however, I am now down in the mountains of West Virginia, and I have no ocean around for at least 6 hours.

My philosophy about fish is if you dont live near an ocean how fresh can it possibly be? LOL

There are Japanese dealers that sell frozen mock tuna, abalone, salmon etc. But none are in the states...

new topics

top topics

join