It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Ouija boards have any REAL power?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 11:26 PM
link   
This is a question for the good folks here on ATS who have had experiences in the occult and in particular any evidence or stories that support the authenticty of ouija boards and the mystic abilities. I had a neighbor in Virginia when I was a teenager. She was a very sweet lady, very bright and VERY intelligent. She was a self proclaimed white witch and she had hundreds of books pertaining to crystals, the human aura, witchcraft and astral projection. I always was fascinated by her stories and she really had a powerful persona.. She would claim to be able to see auras, including my own (which she said was a bright blue...dont know what that meant) My point is that she absolutely DESPISED Ouija boards. She used tarot cards, crystals, etc she even had several books related to black magic. One time her son Michael had been next door playing with a neighbor kid and they had been using a ouija board. When she found out.. her whole demeanor changed and she flipped.....took the board...drew a white cross on the back of the board as well as the hand piece, and burned it in the yard. I asked her why she was so angry but all she would say is that she had bad experiences with Ouijas and would never elaborate...but I could tell she was really spooked. Anyone have any good stories related to these boards or any evidence that they really work? Thanks in advance for any replies.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
the boards themselves have no power. the responsibility lays with the people who use it. don't know what you're doing then don't play with it.

I've met people who used it and nothing happened.

there were occasions where they forgot to end the sessions and saying the spirit was welcome and it now was time to go away again. they forgot so every night they heard people walking around their house or tapping at the windows while there were no trees or rain or anything. i ended up cleaning their mess. they were no evil spirits, they just wanted to go back where they came from. but seeing people just put away the board and forgot to thank the spirit for their time and energy and told em to go back where they came from again...they couldnt and were stuck. so were trying to get attention from the house owners to be send back again.

most extreme was a minor possesion because the individual had no idea how to shield/protect themselves.

in the end the people who "play" with it are responsible. don't blame spirits or entities when something doesn't go the way you expected it to. take responsibility instead of blaming something else and deal with it. prepare properly for everything that could possibly occur. even if it doesn't happen at least you'd be prepared to counter.

most stories people tell you are just that, stories. blown out of proportions or just ignorant propaganda to keep you away from it.

everyone who has medium-like capabilities know that there is more then just one way to call upon spirits. You never hear of a medium who calls a spirit in their room for a chat, but the second a oujia board comes into play...ohhh it must be evil then. bollocks. the board is a tool you can use and nothing more.

[edit on 2-3-2006 by Enyalius]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Good topic, Black Ops. I myself am a witch and I can tell you that her reaction is not typical. Here in the South where I live, folks are very strong Christians and really fear things like Ouija boards. The fact that she drew a white cross on the back speaks of her Christian origins, no witch would ever do that unless they started out as Christian.
Anyway, I've had extensive experiences with the Ouija, none of them were ever bad. About 30 years ago, my girlfriend, B, and I worked with it several times a week. We had one entity that we communicated with, she was very helpful. She told me secrets about my parent's marriage that at the time, sounded absolutely ridiculous. One thing it specifically told me is that they had only been intimate once in their 40+ year marriage and that was how my brother was born (I'm adopted). It told me the circumstances and also told me it happened in a very specific place.
Well about 3 years ago I went to visit my mother. I hadn't seen her in several years and had only just sat down, having been there all of about 10 minutes. She launched into telling me a number of family secrets. She also told me that in all of her marriage she and my dad had been intimate only once.! Not only that, but she went into detail about the circumstances and where, and it was the exact same spot that the Ouija had told me. My jaw was on the floor needless to say for several hours.
There were many, many other things it told us that came to pass, but sometimes it was years before I found out the truth. And no it wasn't just faulty memory, I kept notes on all Ouija sessions so I could go back and check. It was really amazing.

-Forestlady

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I believe in the power of the boards. However, I do not believe they are channeling spirits. I think they concentrate the mind of several people, and allow a subconcius entry into the collective conciousness, mainly of the group. I think they somehow also channel positive or negative energy of the user, for example if the overall sense of the group is fear, something scary will happen.

I dont think they are to be played with, theres something there, but like my opinion on a lot of paranormal subjects, I also believe that one day we will be able to provide scientific reasoning for whats happening. We just dont understand yet. That said, I also believe that 95% of ouija experiences can be attributed to hysteria.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Heres a cautionary tale.

X and three friends took an ouji board out into a field that was supposed to be haunted, and inside a tent started to use it. After a few questions the tent started to shake, and then was ripped from front to back in one hard motion. A voice then screamed at them froma clear sky, and all four fled. X was never the same after that, and spent mnay years very very afraid of the dark and of any thing remotely paranormal. I was p##### that my tent was ruined, but after seeing what I can only describe as claw marks that destroyed it, I bagged it and threw it away.

X and the 3 friends still to this day will not speak about what this entity said, apart from saying that it it screamed and screamed abuse till they got to the road by the field.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Yeah, either my ouija board has always been faulty, or I've always been faulty. No successful queries thus far.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I know a good story about a girl who claims her and her friend used to use it all the time, and then her friend got scared and stopped, however, she continued to use it, and a lot. One night she woke up thinking something was speaking to her, so she got the board out, and asked the spirit if it was talking to her in her sleep, the spirit answered yes, because that is the only time you can understand me.

She then proceeded to ask if it spoke to her friend in her sleep, and it answered "No, because Karen is a lamb of God"

Anyway, she destroyed the board and converted to Christianity.

Personally, I have had some strange experiences with the Occult, I believe I have met an entity/demon twice, and maybe a few good ones over the years. I found it easy to tell the difference, because the bad ones, are really really bad.

Once I had only just learnt a secret word/name to be vibrated when the power in my house completely blew out. I didn't even use it!

I haven't really been practising for the past year or so, mainly just researching.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Do Ouija boards have real power? YES!

They have the exact same power as the gods and they get it in exactly the same place!
skep

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
The fact that she drew a white cross on the back speaks of her Christian origins, no witch would ever do that unless they started out as Christian.
-Forestlady

While I can see this reasoning, it is utterly untrue. The symbol predates christianity and as a symbol of life, would be a logical ward against darker things.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Yes oujii boards do work ,but not from the power of the board ,rather it is a symbol that you are open to influence.BTW you can contact the dead or whatever you contact w/o a board.

My advice is don't even go there.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I have never believed that the board or the operator was exhibiting anything. Last year, in an effort to test the validity of the board/operator, two friends and I sat down with two other people (one at at time) who said they'd used the Ouija board with interesting results. We told them that we were going to do some experiments to test the validity of the answers but didn't thell them what we were going to do.

For each person (again, this was done at different times and there was no communication between the operators) we asked them to "bring in the spirits" and work with us in answering questions. We (one of us with the other two persons taking notes) worked with the operator; both held the plancehette and, for each of the ten question we asked, the planchette moved to an appropriate answer, sometimes spelling things out and sometimes going to 'yes' or 'no'. The other two observers took notes.

Then, we told the operator that we were going to ask a bunch of questions again and that the operator and one of us would allow the planchette to 'do its thing'. The only difference was that this time, we'd blindfold both the operator and the helper. The observer would again ask questions and record the answers. At first, the operator was not enthusiastic about it but agreed. Ten similar questions were asked and the planchette's movement was recorded.

All of the "answers" from the second set of questions were gibberish.

Later that day, we brought in another operator, did exactly the same questions with the same conditions, and got the same results; gibberish produced by the blindfolded operator ahd her 'helper'.

Our conclusion was that the operator was unconsciously guiding the planchette to the answers, receiving perfectly normal visual cues. Without the visible cues, the operator did not move the planchette to spell out anything and the letter combinations of the "answers" were completely random.

As far as I know, this is the only time anyone's tried to test the efficacy of the Ouija board/operator under controlled conditions. Obviously, because of the simplicity of the expeirments, anyone in here, if he or she chose, could duplicate the experiments, and provide us with additional data.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Yes I believe Hale and Pace did an experiment where they blindfolded the participants in the ouiji board and turned the board upside down. The answers they got would of been correct if the board was the correct way up. So the answers they are getting are from the people themselves. Whether or not a spirit is guiding them though is anyone's guess.

- Nazgarn

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:49 AM
link   
It is my belief that the board is moved by the subconcious (sp?) mind. There may be some debate upon how the glass moves, but it definately does work, I tried it once, and some-one had an astma attack- and they don't have asthma, weird
I have watched some people using them, those people diddn't have a clue and what was happening, but when we researched it, it was spot on!

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I believe 100% in the quiji board. I had a spooky experience when I was 11 years old, and I will never forget it.

Me and my best friend never had played one before. We knew her brother had one so we asked to play with it. He was hesitant but said yes.

We took the board down to the basement and turned off all the lights but one. We wanted it to be as real as possible. We had heard about it but we were like whatever, this stuff isn't real.

At first we asked it some simple questions and it didn't do anything. I knew it was suppose to move on it's own or something beacause that's what we heard.

We kept playing and all of a sudden it did start to move my hand were it wanted to go. My eyes were always shut, and I tried to concentrate really hard on it.

I started to feel a little uneasy, but said it was nothing. I asked if there was anyone there, it replyed yes. I asked if whoever it was wanted to communicate, it said yes. Next thing I know the phone rings, noones on it. Me and my friend just looked at each other. Then, the phone rang again, noone was on it.

I went back to the board and asked who was tring to communicate with us, it said satan! Now it was totally guiding my hands and I couldn't stop. Now at this point I should have just stopped playing but I did'nt want to. I asked what he wanted. He said the number 2. I said 2 what, he said souls. Now unless I missed something there was only two of us in the room.

So, needless to say I was scared to death after this. We threw the board down and ran upstairs. We told noone about it because we knew they would not believe us. I had so many bad dreams about it for awhile, and then they just stopped.

I couldn't understand, I was a christian and something just drew me to it. Probably my young curiosity.

Anyway I hope this was interesting to everyone.

[edit on 7-3-2006 by ladycycle]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
For everyone claiming about their experiences with contacting an "entity" and such, may I ask anyone to share HOW they contacted who they did and what they said outloud, etc... THANKS

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I would have to agree with the people who say that the board is just a tool… like a chainsaw or a hammer. A chainsaw is Not going to leap off the shelf and maim you all by itself. However, if you don’t treat the thing with respect you had better be prepared to start counting your fingers and toes.

Having made that analogy, I’d also like to add that I don’t think ‘practice makes perfect’. To continue with the chainsaw, I know folks that have been using that tool for 40+ plus years and can whip a tree into a pile of cord wood in nothing flat, but they can’t carve a Totem to save their hide.

On the other hand, their offspring who have only been using the saw for half that time can whip out a beautiful Totem with their eyes closed, but don’t have the same knack for cutting up cord wood…

A natural talent comes into play…. something not easily qualified and quantified by the scientific community. Trying to measure someones ‘magical’ talents is no easy task… it’s like trying to measure the abilities of an artist, or an athlete, or a musician… they have good days, they have bad days *shrugs*

I kept a board around for a few years but gave it up… mostly because of physical constraints; the thing is just big and bulky. Before moving to an island in Alaska I lived a rather nomadic lifestyle, after moving to the island space was at a premium. Lugging a board around was a real pain in the backside. Other tools were much easier to carry around and worked better for me.

But I did use a board for a while. Mostly alone. Apparently this is a no no but I’ve never had it adequately explained Why. (Folks tell me it’s because I could get hurt *rolls eyes* At that time I smoked a pack of cigarettes a day, I lived on the edge, I worked and lived in hazardous environments. Telling me I ‘could get hurt’ was not a valid explanation as to why I shouldn’t use the thing alone)

Because I used it alone I was sure that any results I achieved did indeed come from ME and not some giddy teenager or drunken bozo sitting across from me.

The pointer Did move. A few times it shot out from under my fingers and slid a few inches across the board, a few times I had a hard time following it as it went in a rather chaotic pattern across the board, like trying to spell out stuff, but I could never tell what it was trying to spell out. Mostly it just went in big lazy circles.

I Never got any meaningful results from the board. Never a yes or no or coherent word/phrase.

In the end the thing spooked me. I never really felt like I had control over it as I do with the other tools I use. I don’t like not having control over my tools. I don’t like it when the brakes go out on my forklift or when my chainsaw starts to act all funny. So I gave the thing to an interested friend and haven’t really thought about it since until seeing this thread.

Nice thread, by the way…

now duty calls…

sooooo, I gotta go

rock on
twj

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I only had one experience with something, I can't really explain. All I know is that I had no control over where my hands were going. It just spelled everything out the way it wanted to answer my questions. Scared me to death.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Interesting experiment Of-The-Street but all it proves is...
1. The physical energy that powers the Ouija Board does not directly come from the supernatural SOME OF THE TIME.
2. People who were blindfolded were unable to see where their hands were.
3. The spirit(s) in this case did not successfully correct the position of the users hands (if they tried at all).
4. (Maybe) spirits cannot see what the user would see if the user cannot see.

Well done for doing it though. And thanks to people like you someday we should solve the question of the supernatural and maybe even the afterlife itself. Personally I fear this kind of research (a bit) because I do not trust that mankind is fit to handle the knowledge. I hope the God(s) help us should we use such knowledge in selfish technology, purposes or military weapons. Maybe it’s easiest for them to stop-kill the inventor(s) until the time is right?

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Don't use the boards.

When you use the boards you are saying 'yes' to spirits
and energies that you don't know about. Don't do it.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   
While many are quite skeptical when it comes to the use of ouija the reports on them can be mixed,all the way from geeze youre moving it arnt you this is fake,to people dissapearing or worst.

Much of this it seems may have to do with the individuals involved.While many get into ouija to kind of start dealing with the paranormal.Most do not have the energy flow nor the understanding of how these things work to get a reaction.

As far as the actual usage,you might get many warnings as to not use them,this is because they are more of a medium of connection between two supposed realities or dimensions.Many who are not trained can end up many say,opening a gate or opening themselves to become a channel to which ever being or entity they are connecting with.

<<   2 >>

join