It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon recruiting sharks!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Apparently, the Pentagon is recruiting sharks controlled by brain implants to be the ultimate "stealth spies" of the ocean...!

www.news.com.au...

Does anyone know of other animals used for military purposes? I've heard dolphins are used for mine hunting etc...

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Ya the soviests used dolphins for clearing mines and for espoinage, how i dont know. I think the most common animals for military use are Attack dogs and carry pegins(can't spell sorry). Also the nazi's used hawks to hunt down the pegins.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
What..carrier pigeons were used just for communication or...

Are attack dogs still used in the armed forces?

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Dogs are still used, but not like they used to be. WW2 was the golden age of the enlisted canine. Back then a dog had a chance to exhibit heroism, at least one got decorated. Nowadays they're mostly used for base security, I think.

Anyway, the question that's on my mind is, do the sharks have frickin' laser beams on their heads, or don't they? What good is a remote control shark if it doesn't have a frickin' laser beam!?

Remote control rats have been used, but not in military operations yet, at least, not to my knowledge. They'd make great spies, but there's one thing I'm not sure about, and this goes for the sharks as well...

Wouldn't the enemy be tipped off by the presence of the broadcast signal? Unless they were designed to gather data and return for download, there would have to be some sort of transmission. I guess that's easier with the sharks, because they can use the navy's toys, but what about the mice?

Of course the bat bomb is very memorable, there was a thread on ATS about it a little while back.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Yeah... the whole "chip in the brain" thing had me kind of curious as well. According to the article the sharks are being used to perhaps follow enemy ships/submarines etc.

You bring up a good point regarding the enemy being able to track the broadcast signal...it doesn't sound like their trying to train these sharks into anykind of behavioral patterns....just remote controll.

you've got me intrueged with "bat bombs". Holy guacamole' WyrdeOne, What are they?

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I have never personally heard about the pentagon recruiting sharks as spies, but I have obtained information while working in my military career about animals used in scientific research, to aid the government and the United States Military. Such as the placement of MICRON cameras and microphones implanted on small rodents to infiltrate secure facilities to obtain intelligence.
I do not know if this tactic is currently being used or only researched, but a rodent SPLINTER CELL would be perfect for a reconnaissance mission, due to their ability to survive and adapt to any environment, and no one would ever give a rodent a second look or suspect them as a means of gathering intelligence. The technology of implanting a camera on a common house fly is also another alternative to gathering Intel in a more discrete and highly stealth manor. Imagine being on of those little guys buzzing around the National Security Agency Headquarters. No one ever suspects the fly on the wall.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
O.K ..after the tip off, i've found some info on the infamous batbomb..

At the appropriate altitude, the bomb would open and over one thousand bats, each carrying a tiny time-delay napalm incendiary device, would flutter away and roost in various nooks and crannies, many of them in extremely flammable wooden Japanese buildings.

What a great idea

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
While I find the concept of taking over a sharks motor functions and making it do what you want to do, like following a lethal chemical trail fairly repugnant, the cia has done crazier stuff.

Such as the ill fated stealth tortoise and of course most people here who are old enough probably still remember the great nuclear beaver scare of '79.

I would hope someone might say you know making a shark do things against its basic nature is probably not a great thing, but then again this could end up being a great way for someone to fulfill their Dr. No fantasy.

Spiderj

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Damn... and I thought sharks are endangered (-_-lll

Guess when it comes to "Military Advantage" we can don;t bother about that after effects.

And as for using creatures as spies and weapons,

I guess you guys have never thought of using roaches as spies.

And roaches with mini C4 vests

Now image a few of those in your enemies Ammo storeage bay

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
How bout them taking over the minds of Great White Sharks!
LOL you could use em as spies....and the occasional gruesome assasination!

Ya, they could take out targets who happen to be on yachts or something relaxin......relaxin til judgement comes chompin for em.

yum yum!!

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Such as the ill fated stealth tortoise and of course most people here who are old enough probably still remember the great nuclear beaver scare of '79.

C'mon, you have got to be kidding me? "stealth tortoise"
and i don't even want to ask about a nuclear beaver....

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   

C'mon, you have got to be kidding me? "stealth tortoise" and i don't even want to ask about a nuclear beaver....

Yes I remember it like it was yesterday. Walter Cronkite screaming from the CBS newsroom..."They've, they've broken into the control room, there are nuclear powered beavers everywhere. They've damned up the studio with bagels and muffins...my god...the beavermanity!"

This culminated as most know when President Carter called for the round up of all beavers to be placed in detention camps built at least two miles from the nearest forest or creek.

This finally lead to the disarming of the beavers and the treaty of '79 negotiated between Carter and the neutral delegate chosen by the NPB's, whom I believe was Punxutwaney Phill, who although a ground hog was trusted by both Democrats, Republicans and Nuclear Powered Beavers alike.

As for the stealth tortoise, that's another story for another time...and of course there were the Commando Chimpanzees....but perhaps I've said too much.

Spiderj

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesnafued1
Ya the soviests used dolphins for clearing mines and for espoinage,

The US also used dolphins for marking mines but also as anti-frog man weapons soviets did too though they used different methods to kill. US used a harness the dolphin would wear and it would fire a .45 cal round on impact. Russia used a needle that would release many PSI of pressurized air into a divers body.

In the US they said it was hard to train dolphins to kill you had to trick them into doing it.

kojac the WW2 bat bomb actually worked very well it burned down a military base when they tested it. It could have messed up Japan but was scrapped in favor of the A-Bomb

[edit on 3-3-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Isn't this wrong or in the category of cruelty against animals? Oh well, I guess if they don't have any compunction being cruel to people, why should they feel anything for animals?

US 'plans stealth shark spies'

Pentagon scientists are planning to turn sharks into "stealth spies" capable of tracking vessels undetected, a British magazine has reported.

They want to remotely control the sharks by implanting electrodes in their brains, The New Scientist says.

It says the aim is "to exploit sharks' natural ability to glide through the water, sense delicate electrical gradients and follow chemical trails".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Exploitation alright. That's just wrong. I have no problems if the person is exploiting them for food, but zapping their brains to control their movements?

Shameful. :shk:

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by StalkerZERO
How bout them taking over the minds of Great White Sharks!
LOL you could use em as spies....and the occasional gruesome assasination!

Ya, they could take out targets who happen to be on yachts or something relaxin......relaxin til judgement comes chompin for em.

yum yum!!

LOL sounds like sumthing from a James Bond movie

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Wow this is amazing. I've seen the first truly bionic human (paraplegic) who, by the control of a remote computer, can 'walk' again. I can't for the life of me remember which TV program I saw this on but they implanted some electrodes connected to his nerves to controls his major leg muscles, which were remotely stimulated by a computer to simulate walking. Perhaps this technology uses the same theory...

- Nazgarn

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I heard a country donated monkeys to America to help detonate land mines?

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   
"Dogs are still used, but not like they used to be. WW2 was the golden age of the enlisted canine. Back then a dog had a chance to exhibit heroism, at least one got decorated. Nowadays they're mostly used for base security, I think. " -
wyrde one

expanding on an earlier point made by, Dogs were used a fair bit in WW2 on the European front to get messages around the feild and to lay telegraph wires

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Dr. Evil: You know, I have one simple request. And that is to have sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads! Now evidently my cycloptic colleague informs me that that cannot be done. Ah, would you remind me what I pay you people for, honestly? Throw me a bone here! What do we have?
Number Two: Sea Bass.
Dr. Evil: [pause] Right.
Number Two: They're mutated sea bass.
Dr. Evil: Are they ill tempered?
Number Two: Absolutely.
Dr. Evil: Oh well, that's a start.

new topics

top topics

join