It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where's Islam's Martin Luther King?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
"I accept this award today with an abiding faith in America and an audacious faith in the future of mankind. I refuse to accept despair as the final response to the ambiguities of history.

I refuse to accept the idea that the "is-ness" of man's present nature makes him morally incapable of reaching up for the eternal "ought-ness" that forever confronts him.

I refuse to accept the idea that man is mere flotsam and jetsam in the river of life, unable to influence the unfolding events which surround him.

I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality.

I refuse to accept the cynical notion that nation after nation must spiral down a militaristic stairway into the hell of nuclear annihilation.

I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.

I believe that even amid today's mortar bursts and whining bullets, there is still hope for a brighter tomorrow.

I believe that wounded justice, lying prostrate on the blood-flowing streets of our nations, can be lifted from this dust of shame to reign supreme among the children of men.

I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, equality, and freedom for their spirits.

I believe that what self-centered men have torn down, men other-centered can build up.

I still believe that one day mankind will bow before the altars of God and be crowned triumphant over war and bloodshed and nonviolent redemptive goodwill proclaimed the rule of the land. And the lion and the lamb shall lie down together, and every man shall sit under his own vine and fig tree, and none shall be afraid.

I still believe that we shall overcome."

www.stanford.edu...

One of the most visible advocates of nonviolence and direct action as methods of social change, Martin Luther King, Jr. was born in Atlanta on 15 January 1929. As the grandson of the Rev. A.D. Williams, pastor of Ebenezer Baptist church and a founder of Atlanta's NAACP chapter, and the son of Martin Luther King, Sr., who succeeded Williams as Ebenezer's pastor, King's roots were in the African-American Baptist church. After attending Morehouse College in Atlanta, King went on to study at Crozer Theological Seminary in Pennsylvania and Boston University, where he deepened his understanding of theological scholarship and explored Mahatma Gandhi's nonviolent strategy for social change.

www.stanford.edu...

Martin Luther King "had a dream". A "dream" that all men be treated equal. His movement was fueled by the black movement, but his dream shouldn't be forgotten today. Today, many of us respect black people and live our lives by MLK's dreams.

But what about the new recent "Inferior Race" thats hit the international mainstream worldwide. Yes worldwide the people of the west are slowly classifying an entire religious movement as a "race".

I use the term "race" lightly here, because the people being labeled "terrorists" are "muslims". So its easily mistaken when a non-extremist muslim makes his points known.

I've been watching the general trend on ATS lately (mostly on the mud-pit of a War on Terror forum) and it seems a growing number of people are biting into the "evil islam" bait everyday. People are being munipulated by what they read from other more 'extreme' anti-muslim posters and the constant battery of "terrorism" coverage on the mainstream media.

Slowly but surely, the muslim haters have rolled in.. slowly increasing in number. I've often try to gauge the "mood" of the world by sites such as ATS that get a lot of traffic in worldwide events. And it seems, lately, that more and more people are flowing in with hate in their veins. Anyone else notice the trend?

Maybe someday, an islamic MLK will step up, and command peace, and require peace and equality. And hopefully, some day, the world will wake from this coma and realize we're all in the same boat. And if we destroy that boat, then we're all #ed (censored).

So far, I don't see very many Islamic leaders making a stand.. its a shame because it's almost too late.

[edit on 3/1/2006 by QuietSoul]

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Islam's MLK had a stronger voice, one that would make opressive authority tremble. He strengthened Islam in America and made it a nation to contend with. Then they shot 'em, just like King.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Personally, I think the Muslim world needs an Islamic Voltaire, Locke, and Kant. At one time, Christendom was in basically the same shape that the Muslim world is today. The European dark ages are representative of this, and the Enlightenment came along to set them straight.

The major difference in my view was that the Holy Inquisition did not have access to car bombs, much less nuclear capability. This makes the Islamist fundamentalists more dangerous than their medieval Christian kindred. An Islamic Enlightenment would do much to further the middle east into the 21st Century, and it can't be stated boldly enough how a Muslim Age of Reason would help mankind everywhere.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
There will never be an MLK in islam because islam is pure evil from satan...........

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Martin Luther King is the only person they need look at...

Originally posted by thermopolis
There will never be an MLK in islam because islam is pure evil from satan...........

This is a very difficult area, and saying things like that don't help. Islam can be practiced without terrorism. Terrorists aren't only Islamic.

Those who are terrorists don't repsect human rights... and those that don't respect them don't deserve them...

To elaborate for thermopile below, I dont think that Islam needs a MLK because the majority of its followers would probably adhere to this view anyway.

[edit on 2/3/06 by byhiniur]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by byhiniur

This is a very difficult area, and saying things like that don't help. Islam can be practiced without terrorism. Terrorists aren't only Islamic.

Those who are terrorists don't repsect human rights... and those that don't respect them don't deserve them...

This has nothing to do with terorist, just the fact that Islam misleads its followers away from Christ and the true God. Allah was and remains a "moon" god from the region when Mohamad slimed the planet with his birth.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The problem is with people like you, who reduce the world to god and evil with your religious glasses. God is dead, get with the times.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
A better phrase would be that the need a Martin Luther, not a Martin Luther King. Koranic intepretation in some circles is heresy, just as it was in the middle ages for the Bible.

Islam can be a rational religion, but it is currently bound by irrational feeling, not rational thought. Coupled with a preceived threat to its own existence, and you seem much the same hysteria that bound Christianity during the Crusades.

Christianity's out and out luck birthed it on the heels of some heavy Philosophical thought(primarily Grrek in influence), and is as much based on thought as it is in faith. Islam was birth out of struggle and war, and has never had its Rennaisance, I believe.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by byhiniur

This has nothing to do with terorist, just the fact that Islam misleads its followers away from Christ and the true God. Allah was and remains a "moon" god from the region when Mohamad slimed the planet with his birth.

Christ and the true God?

Which one is the true one? Both of them?

It's too bad that the god of the bible was the war god of the ancient Hebrews. Why do you think he tells them to kill so much?

Anyway, I'm sorry, but I'm gonna come out and say it. Most white people are inherently racist/bigoted. Seriously. Like the first poster said, from black people to Muslims. Of course, there's a lot more in between.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
[Christ and the true God?

It's too bad that the god of the bible was the war god of the ancient Hebrews. Why do you think he tells them to kill so much?

Anyway, I'm sorry, but I'm gonna come out and say it. Most white people are inherently racist/bigoted. Seriously. Like the first poster said, from black people to Muslims. Of course, there's a lot more in between.

Ahhh Christ is the "son" of GOD................this isn't a black or white issue...

When Christ does return it will be to destroy the planet with fire........

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
[Christ and the true God?

Ahhh Christ is the "son" of GOD................this isn't a black or white issue...

When Christ does return it will be to destroy the planet with fire........

And this is supposedly the one true god doing this? Oh, he's so loving.
BTW, I thought this was the kinda stuff Satan does. Doesn't seem like he's the real bad guy...

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
If you ask the blacks in New Orleans in the after math of Katrina they will tell you a few strong things about WHITE AMERICA and how it still dishonors Martin Luther.

[edit on 2-3-2006 by mr conspiracy]

top topics

join