It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Plausible Alien Movies?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Got the idea from the Predator thread. Predator

Thought it would be a good topic to see what everyone thought the most plausible alien movie is and why.

Personally, my vote is They Live. The symbolism isn't too deep and the sunglasses idea was pure brilliance. I think if aliens did try to take over they would do it slowly. Media would be the best route in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 01:29 AM
link   
My vote goes to Fire in the Sky.

The ending of this movie is frantic and...gasp...scary! I heard that some critics that were screened the movie before initial release left the theater in total shock and terror. Something about the portrayal of the aliens is truly goose-bump worthy.

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I'd say the Alien series. I mean, if we ran into a hostile race on an asteroid somewhere, who's to say that they wouldn't just kill the crap outta us and use us for incubators. Maybe not the incubator thing but, if they were adapted enough to survive in the vaccum of deep space, chances are they would be hungry. Think about it.

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Mars Attacks showed the real Martian technology, definitely.

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 01:42 AM
link   
My favorite for accuracy is K-PAX. The alien, Prot, was a "walk-in" who came to help Robert every time he got in trouble. In that movie, there were 2 souls in one body until Prot left.
I am an alien walk-in too, but my soul stayed and the original soul LEFT right away.

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Most realistic has gotta be Fire in the Sky as mishapscott suggests. After all, it was based upon a real abduction event that was in the realm of plausiblity.

Second choice is Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Not for the nutty Richard Dreyfuss, but the greys and their odd methods of contact. The government's portrayal was fairly spot on to how I imagine it as well.

Third choice is 2001: A Space Odyssey. The notion that some alien force propelled humanity is an idea that I really believe in. Not the monolith entity or any star child stuff. Seems like something has been coming here for a long time. And likely has influenced us earthlings.

[Edited on 7-10-2003 by heelstone]

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 01:54 AM
link   
"The Day the Earth Stood Still"

It's a must-see classic.

Yes, real aliens won't look like humans... but the fact that the protagonist looks like one adds to one of the themes of the movie -- When donning a spacesuit which obscures his face, Klaatu is immediately shot by soldiers upon exiting his ship... however, when wearing a new suit, he is, without question, accepted into a host family at a boarding house. Still, if you're bothered by the lack of bio-accuracy here, you'll be pleased to know that in the story the movie is based on ("Farewell to the Master"), the robot (Gort in the movie) is the 'real' alien/master, and the humanoid is the equivalent of his robot.

...But, beyond all that, this is a great movie because it is very stylish and simple -- there are no teknobabblish terms you need to learn. It simply deals with the very human question of how to end wars (through a force like the UN, the movie posits, indirectly)... and, essentially, brings up the question of whether or not humans would give up some of their authority to an older and more advanced civilization for the sake of peace. In short, the movie is about the Peacekeeper's Dilemma.

Take note of how, instead of bringing Klaatu to the UN like asked, the US gov tries to, on its own, form a relationship with Klaatu's civilization.

Also, Gort is a mean-ass looking robot.

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I heard that Contact was pretty good, though I have never seen it. Definetly The Thing From Another World, very scary for its time. They Live however gets my over all vote, and Roddy Rowdy Piper is ace!

Also Star Wars is a good concept for an accepted reality of aliens in a particular sector of the galaxy, or was that Spaceballs?

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 03:56 AM
link   
The Thing is a good alien movie. There are a lot of nice scenes, and the whole mimic thing is very cool. This thread made me realise I have seen way too few alien movies... and that there are very few really good ones. They are always fun, but the quality is often low.

The Alien series is also good. The idea of an alien that infests another creature and grows inside of it is brilliant.

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 04:18 AM
link   
i have never watched fire in the sky...

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I'd say "intruders" was a good movie and like fire in the sky it was based on a true story

Graham

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone
Most realistic has gotta be Fire in the Sky as mishapscott suggests.

Second choice is Close Encounters of the Third Kind. [Edited on 7-10-2003 by heelstone]

Doh! I forgot to add those two to my list!

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Close Encounters of the Third Kind....

or

V....
(But then Icke would be right, and we can't have that,
)

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Independence Day!!!

no... really.... The Andromeda Strain.

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Take one goddamn guess...!!!

Also,
Close Encounters...
The Thing
V (TV Series)
Contact
Fire In The Sky

and a whole bunch of B-Movies from the 50's that I can't be bothered to list here (although it's fair to say Independence Day ripped them ALL off).

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 01:35 AM
link   
and i bought dreamcatcher, i dont know why but it jumped out...

and i think ats members worldwide have to check out this movie...

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Dreamcatcher....something about it that just sort of catches you!

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I thought dreamcatcher was cheesey at times...

The mutant vagina headed razor tooth worm was retarded.

Found it cool when that aliens head sploded though.

I must've missed the first of it or something I wonder why didn't they just Nuke or use a daisy cutter where that ship was?

instead they use apache? helicopters... nice CG but sometimes they show another helicpoter out the window of one of them and the helicopters outside the window looks like some 1960's style lol BUDGET!

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I have to say star wars.

I know I know it is so hollywood and so stereotypical, but I still love it.

I see this film as being fairly accurate if you want to look forward enough in the future.

The Star Wars trilogy took us from the 50s and 60s spook idea of aliens to a future were they are just as much a part of what is going on as humans are. A big jump in my opinion.

The recent Speilberg series 'Taken' was quite good but it would classify as a long movie and in fact it was a television series.

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 01:59 AM
link   
but the plot and subject matter down to the shape shifting was pretty "modern"...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join