It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spinosaurus: Largest carnivore

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
But there still isn't much data available on that particular animal, i must add. The first teeth and bones found were huge, we will see as probably more fossils are found in the future.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Still i add another side note: The Torvo was probably the largest carnivore ON LAND only. The largest meat eating dino (or of all animals in fact) was the Liopleurodon ferox.

posted on Feb, 11 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Originally posted by DevinS
Did no one see JPIII? The Spinosaur KILLS the Rex in that movie.

That was fantasy though. In the Movie T-rex even got the first bite in, in real life that would have been it for Spinosaurous its neck would have been crushed by the most powerful jaws ever. bye bye fish eater

As a dinosaur geek, I have to sadly say that unless the Rex got a grip on the Spino and got its own neck muscles into play, just biting on the neck wouldn't do a thing. The Rex didn't have a lot of jaw strength -- all its power was in the neck muscles. It only had to be able to hold its prey in place with the jaw muscles -- and then use its neck muscles to rip holes in said prey.

I wouldn't put a bet on any of that, though -- it's been a while since I've actually done research on dinosaurs and the way they work, and I may very well be wrong.

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
megaladon had the strongest bite force of all animals ever discovered it is estimated that the jaws with 7 inch teeth could do 20 tons_javascript:icon('
')
_javascript:icon('
')

posted on Sep, 9 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   

The paleo lab where I was volunteering is doing an Alaskan dig, and has come up with a set of ceritopsians that they haven't identified yet. It may be yet another new species.

That sounds like a pretty awesome discovery! I hope to hear about it when they finally release an official statement.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
well i think that there is a huge muddle up of which of T-rex, Gigantosaurus and spineasaurus where the largest therapods but i think by studying measurements and taking into account that the paeliantologists havnt are just estimating the size of an adult giganotasaurus i think that spinasaurus was the longest with up to 16-18 metres and giganotasaurus was the tallest and T rex consumed and had the largest area and mass due to its muscular build and the bulk of the skull and pelvis and stomach.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Well considering that spinosaurus and t-rex came from different areas and different parts of the cretacious period I don't think it matters who would beat who . I have been interested in dinosaurs since I was a wee little kiddy , wanted to be a paleontogist for years but they don't teach it here in new zealand so gave up on it but I still like dinosaurs .

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I may onley be 12 but this is true i have found out alout about this and it is true and in a fight whith trex spino whold lose because trex had more powerful jaws and yes i do like spinosaurus more

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
this is the same 12 year old I have to agree whith shadow xix we still dont know the slightist about either like how thick was spinosaurus skin

THE BIG TOOTH ON THE END IS 8 INCHS !!!
there just is not a good amount of evidence to know who would win
any way im going to go play jaws unleashed ps2

bye

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Don't be so sure about Spinosaurus being the largest. There was a t-rex find, a jaw bone 20% larger than any found. They call it T-Rex Imperitor. Not much is written on it. I have a suspicion that all of them were probably about the same size. The fossil record is very incomplete.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
They had one of these in Jurassic Park 3 back in 2001. You know, by then they had to go bigger and badder than the Raptors and the T-Rex, so they had this guy stomping around.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
This guy would have been on par with Spinosarus.
www.nytimes.com...

Never was a fan of Spinosaurus. I did like Dilophosarus and Allosaurus though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join