It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spinosaurus: Largest carnivore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Though the age in which Dinosaurus lived has long since past, Paleontologists are still studying the immensity of the species that existed in the past.

Take the report last month that Spinosaurus is now officially the biggest carnivorous dinosaur known to science. This two-legged beast actually strode onto the fossil scene in 1915 when a specimen was described by German paleontologist Ernst Stromer. He figured this theropod (defined as a two-legged carnivore) was bigger than Tyrannosaurus rex, but the original Spinosaurus bones were destroyed by Allied bombs in 1944. So the T. rex reigned as the king size, carnivorous land beast for decades.

SOURCE: LiveScience

Well, not to sure what to say, Dinosaurs are'nt really my fortay.
It looks pretty cool.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I wander what a dinosaur would taste like

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Though the age in which Dinosaurus lived has long since past, Paleontologists are still studying the immensity of the species that existed in the past.

No kidding!!!

The paleo lab where I was volunteering is doing an Alaskan dig, and has come up with a set of ceritopsians that they haven't identified yet. It may be yet another new species.

Spinosaurus is a very odd-looking beast with the sail on its back (I need to go look up some of the bones) and the long, crocodillian type head, and is a much more primitive carnivore than T. Rex.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I wander what a dinosaur would taste like.

I'd assume it would taste something like lizard, which I've heard tastes like chicken.

Byrd,

Since theres no part of your post I can really quote without doing an injustice/hacking it up, I'll stick with the name thing as seen above.

I agree with you, Paleontolgy and Archaeology are definately interesting and active fields.

It's just to bad there are'nt more young people (haha, I'm not even by law an adult yet I sound like an old man.) interested in the field.

Case in point, if you were to go up to any random 20 students at my school, they would'nt know the difference between Archaeology and Paleontology.

Ah, but I now feel that I'm hi-jacking my own thread and have gone off on a bit of a tangent, well I'll be quiet now and let this thread continue on the path it was meant for.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 06:59 AM
link   
is 55 feet around 18 m?

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
is 55 feet around 18 m?

You can do a rough conversion feet=>meters by dividing the total number of feet by 3, so you've got a good estimate there.

More precisely, 1 meter is 3.2808399 feet (or about 1.1 yards), so that estimate gets further and further off the higher the number of feet.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lecter
I wander what a dinosaur would taste like

I bet they taste like... chicken!

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Im shocked they would give Spinosaurus such title we dont really IMO have enough bones to make any such claim. The most we ever had which was made up of mostly a lower jaw some spines and vertebra and was completely lost due to Allied bombing in 1944 German.

Now about all we have is a bunch of teeth and some vertebra. I havent heard of this new Spinosaurus skull though but its hard to get a accurate estimate off such a unique skull and a body we really dont have alot of info on.

I would still put my money on the bone crushing/ smarter T-rex over the thin toothed Giganotosaurus or the fish eating Spinosaurus in a fight anyday. T-rex still had the strongest bite of any animal that ever lived and teeth that wouldnt snap if it bit into bone like Giganotosaurus.

Edit---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking more into this new skull its still open to Debate IMHO. These estimates come from a single man based on two skull fragments of a dinosaur we still know little about. The most complete Spinosaurus remains the one destroyed in WW2 and their wasn't much too that one.

This is not like T-Rex or Giganotosaurus in which we have nearly full skeletons.

Estimates being based on a single fragmentary skeleton, this estimate is questionable. Even more so when its used on a Dinosaur we have really nothing to compare too. It aint like Giganotosaurus which shared the basic body shape with T-rex.

One mans new estimates on skull fragments of a enigmatic dino I would wait to rewrite the history books.

[edit on 2-3-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 09:29 AM
link   
The T-rex's closest relative to date is actually the chicken so yea maybe it is reminiscent of chicken flavour!

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Lets keep in mind that this is based on an estimate from some skull bones, not a definite measure of the whole body. The original Spinosaurus specimin was destroyed during WWII.

Anyway, here's a great presentation of suchomimus, a relative of spinosaurus / baryonx from the great paleoartist Luis V. Rey

www.luisrey.ndtilda.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I bet he would be wondering what YOU taste like Lecter!

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Nygdan thanks for the info on suchomimus that thing is new to me freaky looking artist interpretation of it.

This whole Spinosaurus size estimate reminds me more and more of the last time they tried to estimate the size of a large theropod from fragments of a skull.

Anyone eles remember Carcharodontosaurus original size estimates from a partial African skull lead paleontologist to think it hand the longest skull of any theropod. Then they found more of the skull and corrected their misinterpretion to a much more modest 4ft 4in skull.

One a side note anyone know the size of the largest Spinosaurus tooth ever found? The largest I can find any mention of is about 5 inchs.

[edit on 3-3-2006 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Did no one see JPIII? The Spinosaur KILLS the Rex in that movie.
Also, the suchomimus, and baryonx, were mentioned in the movie.

WOnder what the sail was for, since there is still debate on whether or not dinos are cold or warm blooded. If cold then used for capturing sun rays for heat, or turning away to cool off, but if warm, IDK, maybe mating uses like a Peacock?

Or if they ate fish like their smaller brothers, be like a shark, think Jaws but a sail instead of just a fin, and a huge freaking monster instead of a big freaking monster...

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevinS
Did no one see JPIII? The Spinosaur KILLS the Rex in that movie.

That was fantasy though. In the Movie T-rex even got the first bite in, in real life that would have been it for Spinosaurous its neck would have been crushed by the most powerful jaws ever. bye bye fish eater

Even the scale was off on parts of Spinosuarous's body. Check out its teeth larger then T-Rexs teeth
pure fantasy

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Yeah but it was a good movie. And the Spinosaur actually killed the Rex, they were using their machines(Animatronics?) and they are dangerous, the Spinosaur tore the head off the Rex, why it doesn't show up again in the movie, like the female or the baby grown up.

And hey, you don't know, maybe it did have bigger teeth, and the jaws, well, ever see a pit bull fight? First bite doesn't mean victory, especially since you don't know how thick the skin, the muscle, or the bones are of a Spinosaur. Man I love those movies, even if they screwed with the Book version.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevinS

And hey, you don't know, maybe it did have bigger teeth, and the jaws, well, ever see a pit bull fight? First bite doesn't mean victory, especially since you don't know how thick the skin, the muscle, or the bones are of a Spinosaur. Man I love those movies, even if they screwed with the Book version.

Interesting you would mention pitbulls you could think of T-Rex as the pitbull of dinosaurs. Notice how pitbulls can take on and kill larger dogs? That becuase of the power of their bite something no animal on earth could match T-rex in. Im not a expert on pitbull fights but I doubt any putbull killed another pitbull by crushing its spine. T-rex had the power to do that to other dinosaurs.

T-rex was designed to crush bones if it got a neck bite on anything the size of spinosauraus it would have been game over. Spinosauraus was more designed to catch fish.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Know what? I pull a french, I surrender. It's just a movie! And they didn't want to Rex to be the main dino in the third movie, in the first it was Raptors with Rex, second was Rex with Raptors, third was Spinosaur with Raptors.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Impressively aggressive looking beast. They seem to keep finding bigger and bigger ones. Must be lots more of them to come I would expect, dig deeper.

Just goes to show you that something doesn't exist until the scientists find proof. But if we had a time machine and went back there we would know it existed. Always keep an open mind to what can be or could be.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I agree its just a movie and they had to set the stage for the new dino star. What better way then having it kill off the former champ with ease.

I love talking about battles of the giant dinosaurs
they may have lived millions of years apart on seperate sides of the world but it would be cool if they fought

sorry if I got carried away.

posted on Feb, 3 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Actually i believe the largest carnivor is now believed to be a certain subspecies of Torvosaurus from Portugal. Quite larger and more massive than both Spino or tRex. Must have been a beast.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join