It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Prison Guard Who Killed 13 Avoids Death Sentence Using Clever Psychosis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   

www.cnn.com...

A judge has ruled that a former prison guard convicted of killing 13 people in a 1982 shooting rampage can't be executed because he is mentally ill.

George E. Banks is delusional, psychotic and has no capacity to assist in his own defense, Luzerne County President Judge Michael Conahan ruled Monday. "Banks cannot make rational choices because of his major mental illness, cannot rationally comprehend his death sentences, has a hopeless prognosis and will not improve to any acceptable degree," Conahan wrote. The U.S. Supreme Court held in 1986 that it is unconstitutional to execute the insane.

Banks picked up his AR-15 semiautomatic rifle on September 25, 1982, and began shooting. He killed seven children -- five of them his own, along with his three live-in girlfriends, an ex-girlfriend, her mother and a bystander in the street.

I'm sorry, what? The guy supposedly killed 13 people with a rifle. He was a former prison guard. Most of the people he killed were children. The guy appearing in court doesn't appear to even recognize his surroundings. But he was competent enough to kill 13 people with a rifle? He was competent enough to function as a prison guard?

I'm a little confused. First of all, look at the date of the incident. Seems a long time for an open and shut case.

I'm wondering if there isn't something else going on here. Something seems very strange about this whole ordeal. Where's this fellow been for the last 23 years, in lock-up? In a hostpital? Who's been defending him so dilligently? Was this guy a zombie, or being mind-controlled somehow? Has his condition been steadily detereorating, or was he fine up until his sentencing hearing?

Anyone else have a similar reaction to reading this story? There's a missing click, something's not falling into place for me. Not sure if it's my imagination or what.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Whats so strange about this story? The guy was mentally ill, never received treatment for his illness, killed 13 people and was either held in jail or some kind of mental institution all this time. Any problem left unchecked for a prolonged period of time can only become worse. Being delusional and losing touch with reality doesn't mean that you'll become a blithering idiot. He probably thought he was hunting deer or something .

[edit on 1-3-2006 by God Emperor Zeonix]

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I think the more important issue here is, how does a person like that get 3 live in girlfriends?

I'm a nice guy, shouldn't I get 6 or 7 then?

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Zeonix, there's a lot about this story that seems odd to me. I outlined the basics in the post that started this thread.

Bones, I know a lot of people will be thinking that.
I think Bill Hicks said it best when he crooned "Chicks dig jerks."

Lotsa death row guys have groupies.
It's truly bizarre.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
There are 2 possible explanations.

1) He actually was crazy and murdered 13 people because of his mental state.
2) He killed 13 people and lied about his mental state and continues to lie about his mental state.

Both seem plausible. I still don't see what you're getting at though.

new topics

top topics

join