It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mubarak Advices US Against Attacking Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak has adviced U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney against hitting Iran, stating that the Persian nation would use it's influence over Shi'ite communities throughout the Arab world to undermine U.S. interests in that region. He also mentioned that it is unlikely that Israel would attack, as Tehran would strike back with ballisitic missiles.

today.reuters.com
CAIRO (Reuters) - Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak said he had advised the United States against attacking Iran, predicting that Tehran would react through its influence over Shi'ite Muslim communities in Arab countries in the Gulf.

In remarks to Egyptian newspaper editors published on Wednesday, Mubarak also said an Israeli attack on Iran was most unlikely because Tehran would respond by launching ballistic missiles at the Jewish state.

The United States has declined to rule out military force against Iran, which it says it suspects of working on nuclear weapons under the cover of its civilian nuclear program.

Mubarak, speaking on his way back from the Gulf on Monday, said he discussed the consequences of a U.S. attack on Iran with U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney, who visited Egypt in January.

"I said to him word for word: 'Listen to my advice for once.'," Mubarak said, speaking the phrase in English. The remark was published in the state-owned daily al-Gomhuria.

Mubarak warned against the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Whether the U.S. will listen to Mubarak or not this time is open for debate. It will serve them well to heed the Egyptian President's advice this time.

In the article, Mubarak has also noted that "Iran spends generously on the Shi'a in every country and these people are prepared to do anything if Iran is hit."

With Iraq descending into a civil war, the last thing Washington needs is to attract the attention of Shi'ites there from their Sunni neighbours towards U.S. forces and interests in the war-torn country.

This time it is not so easy to dismiss the Egyptian's advice.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.washingtonpost.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Gallup: Iran Now Tops List of Americans' Greatest 'Enemy' List
US will invade Iran in '06

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
You know, if I were going to listen to any of the Arab leaders it would probably be Hosni Mubarak, but here's my problem. The Arab influence that worked to blind us so that we didn't have a clue that 9/11 was going to occur always said the same thing; do nothing as it will upset the opinion on America by people of the region.
As much as I want to believe that an Arab leader actually has our best interest in mind, why should we believe him?
Why should I think that NOT doing anything will not lead to a dangerous, terror-supporting Iranian government with weapons they'd love to use and export?
I'd like to think that Bush is asking the same questions.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Iran needs to quit provoking the world. It is a rogue nation that does not believe it has to comply with international law. The US is not the bad guy here.

Further, why don't more Arab nations make known their stance against and take appropriate action(s) to (at the least), deter terrorism?

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I think the decision as to whether the US is going to attack Iran has already been decided. The question is when is it going to happen? I remember a year in advance of the Iraq invasion someone told me it was going to happen and it did. I have been told the same thing by more than one person this time.

Yeah it is going to get bad. Yeah lots of people are going to die. Yeah it could escalate into the entire middle east against the United States. Yeah they'll have to institute the draft. Yeah we will probably get our buts kicked at the outset of the war but eventually we'll ramp up our military and win. Also consider this. Having used Iran as a reason to build up our military it will then be large enough to take out North Korea which would give us a strong position to stay China's expansionist desires.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Today at 2400 expires the Israeli term to find a diplomatic solution to the Iranian crisis.They have 500 bunker-busters,new generation,which may include mini-nuclear warheads.
Your government is selling tomorrow 21 US seaports to a United Arab Emirates corporation,"allies" of yours,of course,just as good as other Arab "allies" in the region:Egypt,Iraq,Jordan,Lebanon,which had heavily contributed to the Iranian missile program in the past.
Clearly,and by all means,not militarily speaking,you are not ready for this war:the american people will not support,you do not know your enemy,you do not know your allies.
Things will get ugly very quickly and no one will know what to do next.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
well said T.C., I'd like to add that our actions won't make them dislike us. it will make them dislike us more. there's little we can do to make them our friends. if we pack up and leave their lands, as osama bin hidin' has demanded, they will hate us for siding with Israel. If we cut off all ties with Israel, they'll hate us for alligning ourselves with nations that are allied with Israel. If we cut off all ties with those nations they'll hate us for the way our women dress or that we have a different set of ethics that we live by.

short of converting to their version ofislam, they will hate us.

nothing we can do about.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Good work. Well presented.

Can't believe we've regressed so far as a species. War-mongering. Pah.

...So the US will strike when Iran is levelled by bird flu. Maybe take out Venezuela too when they're down. Just like the way punks go after old ladies.

Totally predictable.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
We keep hearing all the time on how the arabs are so tough but all I keep seeing is that they are a bunch of snipers, terrorists and bullies.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
US will not attack anybody anytime soon, right now our administration got their hands full with the civil war in Iraq and the new wave of problems in Afghanistan because the sectarian fights in Iraq.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I have said it once and I will say it again...all the posturing by Bush/Cheney etal about Iran will amount to nothing for 3 very specific reasons. The first is that the U.S. military is severely stretched...if anyone has any question about this ask yourselves, if this is not so what are reserves and national guard (especially the national guard) is doing fighting a war if we are as strong as we make out to be? Two: Bushes approval rating is at 34% and dropping like a rock. The old 9/11 us against them routine is not going to work anymore. Bush and company have worn out their welcome and odds are if the democrats don't win back congress this year, they will win back enough so that the republicans will not be able to rule without them. Finally it is not in China's interest that we attack Iran. Unlike the Korean war, they will not have to invade to keep us at bay, all they will have to do is to make one or two phone calls and remind Bush and company that they hold billions, if not trillions in loans to this administration and that if we attack Iran, they will call in those loans. If you think Bush will not back down you are kidding yourself because if they do call in those loans, it would hamstring America for decades to come. Finally as for Mubarak who are you kidding, he is not speaking out to Cheney out of concern for America...he is looking out for his own, consequently he is probably speaking more truth than cheney has spoken in his entire lifetime.

top topics

join