It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: Americans know more about The Simpsons than the US Constitution

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Well this piece of news certainly puts things in perspective. A recent opinion poll has discovered that the average American knows more about that wholesome cartoon family, The Simpsons than they do about their own constitution in which their great country was built upon.

Simpsons 'trump' First Amendment

Americans know more about The Simpsons TV show than the US Constitution's First Amendment, an opinion poll says.

Only one in four could name more than one of the five freedoms it upholds but more than half could name at least two members of the cartoon family.

About one in five thought the right to own a pet was one of the freedoms.

[...]

The names of American Idol TV show judges and popular advertising slogans also proved more memorable than the five freedoms - speech, religion, press, assembly and petition for redress of grievances.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

That's simply amazing.

I can't stop laughing. Hahahhaha!!! HARR! HARR! HARR!

Ok, I'm done. No wonder it's so easy for your administrations to dupe you guys. I guess a certain someone in power was right, The Constitution is just a piece of paper.

So what's the conspiracy? I think there really is a conspiracy to dumb the American public down. This just adds more to that theory.

If you don't know about The U.S. Constitution, here, go educate yourselves:
National Archives: Constitution of the United States
Cornell University Law Department: The Constitution of the United States of America

The second link is easier to navigate.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussions:
The Anti-Intellectual Movement/Conspiracy

[edit - something was wrong with the title of this post]

[edit on 1-3-2006 by Beachcoma]

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 06:15 AM
link   
don't have a cow dude

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 06:39 AM
link   
It would probably bother people more if we knew not only the first ammendment but all the subsequent ones that make up the Bill of Rights. Sometimes its better not to know it (or at least let on that you dont) because for some people (especially in law enforcement it seems) if you start quoting your rights they assume your some kind of evil subversive element and go straight to using the "gloves of justice" instead of talking like rational people. That being said I keep printed copies of both the Declaration of Indepenedence and the US Constitution on hand at all times, far more important documents than most of the crap people carry around with them.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I thought the US Constituition said summat like "We have the Right to arrive late in any World Wars, and then claim we won them; and the Right to bomb other countries if we don't like them (notwithstanding which, no-one has the right to bomb us)?

Seriously though, I had no idea what freedoms were enshrined in the US constitution, but I'm sure I could readily name a couple of dozen or more characters from the Simpsons

Then again, I am British......

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
Sometimes its better not to know it (or at least let on that you dont) because for some people (especially in law enforcement it seems) if you start quoting your rights they assume your some kind of evil subversive element and go straight to using the "gloves of justice" instead of talking like rational people.

Are these cops trained to make people scared of knowing their rights? What, the only rights you should have if a cop approaches you is "the right to remain silent, right to an attorney...."

With that kind of culture, no wonder it's so easy for politicians to usurp the rights of the people. People should be more afraid of that tha' po'lice.

:shk:

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Well if people made a show that was one like five times a day for a decade about the US Constitution. Then people would no more about it.

Wouldnt exactly be a show that brings in the ratings

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
And you're surprised?

I bet more people than that have no idea where Iran is on a map, but they sure would support bombing the crap outta the country.

See, the Bush administration doesn't take civil liberties when you don't know you have them. Right?

But damn, the right to own a pet...
You can't make up stuff like that, it's gold!

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Most intelligent people wouldn't be bothered to take a poll like that, so I'm not surprised those are results as most of the time, it's people with too much free time and too little education who take part in these kind of polls.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Depends on who they were polling I guess. I could make up any poll I want... Then go find the type of people I know would answer the questions the way I want. And boom... You can get a bunch of America haters laughing. *wink*

Eat my shorts...

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
so basically something (if you don't go out of your way to study it) that you learn about a couple times in school 10 years ago....BUT YOU KNOW IS THERE!....

You know less about that, than something you see on tv every night.

wow, I'm super impressed with this thread.

What next? how many people don't know how to change their oil but know who won survivor?

-DT

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Derek Trance
so basically something (if you don't go out of your way to study it) that you learn about a couple times in school 10 years ago....BUT YOU KNOW IS THERE!....

Actually, it's pretty simple to know the fundamentals of the Bill of Rights without studying it. But, this poll goes to show that these people care more about fictional cartoons than they do about preserving their freedoms and taking pride in the foundation of their country. This naturally comes from a spoiled population.

But who cares when you can get drunk and high right?

[edit on 1-3-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Yes, a spoiled population. Or the morons responded to the poll and everyone else remained unaware of this oh so important poll.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 09:00 PM
link   
In my eyes, most of us over here take freedom for granted.
They know they are free and could care less as long as that right is granted.
They can actually watch TV and not worry about where the next meal is coming from or if they will explode in the next 30 seconds.

some of us....actually pay attention to that stuff, but to the masses over here....they don't even know what freedom is.

-DT

And yeah I know my constitution and bill of rights.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   

But, this poll goes to show that these people care more about fictional cartoons than they do about preserving their freedoms and taking pride in the foundation of their country. This naturally comes from a spoiled population.

No, it doesn't.
preserving your freedom has a lot less to do with knowing your freedoms and knowing they are there.

-DT

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Worst. Post. Ever.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
It would probably bother people more if we knew not only the first ammendment but all the subsequent ones that make up the Bill of Rights. Sometimes its better not to know it (or at least let on that you dont) because for some people (especially in law enforcement it seems) if you start quoting your rights they assume your some kind of evil subversive element and go straight to using the "gloves of justice" instead of talking like rational people. That being said I keep printed copies of both the Declaration of Indepenedence and the US Constitution on hand at all times, far more important documents than most of the crap people carry around with them.

I think that the reason cops are so afraid of people who recite their rights is because the cops who are afraid are the ones who don't know there rights themselves, Which means almost every cop in my town doesnt know anything about their rights.

The most important document i carry around with me is my wallet reverend certificate i got from www.ulc.org.
. I think thats a really good idea, i might do that also. Carrying around the U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence behind my reverend certificate might help me out later in life when the cops pull me over to try and do an illegal search because im a teenager. Thats how they work in my town at least.

I'm a bit anti-authority by the way.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
To the OP, slave labor is what America was built upon.
To the poll, who cares? The words of the Constitution could mean anything, in fact we have a court that decides what it means. THere is no definitive definition of 'due process'.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by God Emperor Zeonix
Yes, a spoiled population. Or the morons responded to the poll and everyone else remained unaware of this oh so important poll.

The truth hurts, I guess.

You know, it wasn't a comedy show that did this poll. It was "a charitable grantmaking organization that supports work in journalism, communities, citizenship, and education."

Robert R. McCormick Tribune Foundation.

The Robert R. McCormick Tribune Foundation (MTF) was originally established as a charitable trust upon the death, in 1955, of Colonel Robert R. McCormick, the longtime editor and publisher of the Chicago Tribune. McCormick played a major role in American journalism in the first half of the 20th century and built the Tribune Company from a single newspaper into a major media organization of newspapers, radio and TV stations, and newsprint manufactories.

McCormick provided considerable latitude in determining how his bequest would be distributed, specifying only that his monies be used for "religious, scientific, literary or educational purposes or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals." Since 1955, MTF’s board of directors has periodically updated the foundation’s giving guidelines to reflect a changing society, while following what they believe to be the wishes of the founder.

When Colonel McCormick established his charitable trust, he endowed it principally with Tribune Company stock, and those shares still compose the majority of the foundation’s assets. While the amount of Tribune stock held by the foundation is significant, the foundation is structured as a separate nonprofit organization, independent from Tribune Company.

And as for the survey results, you can read the full reports here:

Survey Results - Printable version pdf
Survey Results Report - pdf

Say what you want to say, but the sooner you square with the reality of the situation, the better off you all will be. I didn't post this to insult America or Americans. I posted it to inform you all, so that you would deny ignorance.

McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Do Canadians know more about the Simpsons than they do about the Canadian Bill of Rights?

I bet the Brits know more about American Hollywood, Simpsons and American TV than they do about the English Bill of Rights or English constitutional law.

Yeah the poll probably is accurate, many Americans can't even say who the second president was or who the Speaker of the house is. But I think people from other countries know more about American Pop/TV culture than they do about thier own nations documents. That says alot.

[edit on 2/3/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   

So what's the conspiracy? I think there really is a conspiracy to dumb the American public down. This just adds more to that theory.

Not a conspiracy. We're (or atleast I was) taught about this in school. Kid's just don't pay enough attention like they should. Especially today with all the video game's or what's on tv tonight, or gotta call my friend or hang out at such and such place rather then sit down and do my homework and review what was taught in class today. Parent's don't bother helping their children half as much as they used to, and the excuse ... no time. Total BS.

<<   2  3 >>

join