It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Times sues DoD

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   

NYT sues Pentagon over domestic spying
NEW YORK (Reuters) - The New York Times sued the U.S. Defense Department on Monday demanding that it hand over documents about the National Security Agency's domestic spying program.

The Times wants a list of documents including all internal memos and e-mails about the program of monitoring phone calls without court approval. It also seeks the names of the people or groups identified by it.
The Times had requested the documents in December under the Freedom of Information Act but sued upon being unsatisfied with the Pentagon's response that the request was "being processed as quickly as possible," according to the six-page suit filed at federal court in New York.

news.yahoo.com...]Source
Just, wow. It's good, no, great to see that the NYT is taking the game to the government in demanding accountability. I find it hard to believe that the Executive does not have this information at the ready for dispersal through FoIA, and were obviously trying to sit on it untill the storm blew over. Let's hope that the Judicial Branch, no matter how far up it goes, will have the wherewithal to make the right decision

[edit on 28-2-2006 by

[edit on 28-2-2006 by TheGoodDoctorFunk]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Well, the first thing I thought of is sure, they'll get the FoIA documents, but there will be a lot of blacked out lines on every page.
Still, it will be intereting to see what is turned up.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   
It is good to see a treasonous entity like the NYT do this. We can shine the light of trunth on the THEM. Bring it on. The NYT is nothing less than a propoganda arm of enemies of the people of the US. They have been infiltrated by Anti-American forces.

[edit on 1-3-2006 by Apoc]

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I'm willing to bet that the owners and managers of the NYT's doesn't really want to know what happened. It will be too close to home I think.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Apoc
It is good to see a treasonous entity like the NYT do this. We can shine the light of trunth on the THEM. Bring it on. The NYT is nothing less than a propoganda arm of enemies of the people of the US. They have been infiltrated by Anti-American forces.

[edit on 1-3-2006 by Apoc]

Have any evidence, or just the standard "they disagree with me, so they're traitors!" displayed by the political extremists of American politics?

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Just updating an old thread.

The judge dismissed the NYT lawsuit against the DOD. The judge says that the documents were properly withheld from the news media.

Judge dismisses 'New York Times' lawsuit

The Times sued the two departments in federal court in April 2006 over their refusal to hand over documents connected to the government's warrant-free wiretapping program.

In a decision filed Thursday, U.S. District Judge Richard M. Berman said the government was justified in not handing over classified material because it fell under exemptions to the Freedom of Information Act, including attorney-client privilege and presidential communications privilege.

The judge, who reviewed government descriptions of the classified material, agreed with government arguments that the departments didn't have to turn over the papers for reasons including protecting the confidentiality of how the United States gets it intelligence information.

[edit on 7/4/07 by makeitso]

posted on Jul, 4 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
This is the part that made me laugh

The judge, who reviewed government descriptions of the classified material, agreed with government arguments that the departments didn't have to turn over the papers

The judge didn't even look at the actual documents in question. Instead he made a decision based on the governments description of the documents.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
CT - how convenient you left out the last two lines:

The judge's decision applied to classified material; he asked for additional filings from the departments on unclassified material and said he would make a decision after reviewing those submissions.

There is enough fabrication of facts by CT'ers as it is......lets not be balant.

posted on Jul, 5 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
[edit on 7/5/07 by makeitso]

new topics

top topics

join