It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers Want Out of Iraq

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   
...Its not like people ENJOY and DESIRE the want to go to war, they are forced.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by vuoto
When your father was in Okinawa, he knew what the conditions for victory were.

This is an absolute falsehood and a perfect example of your ignorance of history. The boots on the ground in WWII knew even less about what was then called "The Big Picture" than troops do today. There were no cell phones, no television, no CNN and no one knew that the war would end because two atomic bombs would eventually be dropped on Japan.

You can make such statements because you have the advantage of hindsight and because it fits your political agenda, but you're not going to fool anyone who's honest and has even a modicum of historical knowledge.

I don't know whether it's ignorance or selective memory to prove a point, but Major Frank Capra (of 'It's a Wonderful Life' fame and many other classics) was assigned to the Morale Branch in Feb. 1942. Why?

In December 1941, a hesitant America was forced into World War II by the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. This award winning series, created by legendary director Frank Capra, was sponsored by the U.S. Government to help explain its "official war policy". These films were required viewing for the armed forces and were also widely shown in civilian theaters. Considered classic examples of wartime propaganda, they feature masterful editing, classical music and skillful narration all blended together to hammer home their patriotic message. 2-Disc set. DISC ONE: Prelude To War. The Nazis Strike. Divide And Conquer. The Battle Of Britain. DISC TWO: The Battle Of Russia. War Comes To America. Approx. 6 3/4 Hours. Dolby Digital Audio. Fullscreen.
National D-Day Museum

They are great films, I'm surprised some haven't seen or heard about them.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Let us remember that National Guard and Reserves are generally older and tend more often to have families than regulars, although the all-volunteer military has blurred that distinction somewhat. The Marine Corps discourages marriage for first-enlistment Marines, so the majority of those Marines serving in Iraq are not married with children and therefore less likely to respond in the manner of their NG and Reserve cohorts. You can't blame the NG and the Reserves for wanting to get it over and come home, but reading too much into such sentiments is dishonest and opportunistic.

Isn't it true that the number of National Guard and Reserves greatly dwarf the Marine contingent? Wouldn't that skew the poll numbers? For example, 20% of 100 and 20% of 10 are very different figures iin polling.

[edit on 5-3-2006 by curme]

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   
None of the soldiers I knew seemed to be against the war in Iraq, and I support it and the troops wholeheartedly. As for this poll, if people knew anything about polls, they'd know that polls are some of the most inaccurate ways of judging a group of people's opinion out there.

As for this "support the troops," all of the soldiers I knew said if you "support the troops," you just support them for what they are doing. Not constantly trying to undermine it. And virtually none of those soldiers are brainwashed idiots. The very reason they are patriotic and support the war so much is because they know it is for the better of the U.S. People who don't support the war, in general, do not understand it, both the threat and the reasons the U.S. went into Iraq.

Terrorism is a very real threat and yes, Saddam was involved with it, by allowing the terrorists to use parts of Iraq.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
Also the state of the troops during the poll should be taken into account. Ofcourse of bunch of tired, sleepy soldiers that havent had a hot meal in 6 months are gonna bitch and complain and not want to be there. Do the "should we pull out" poll with troops not in Iraq....even do it with troops that have been to Iraq currently stateside, the percentages will probably be alot different. Same conclusion, just more towards the middle, IMO

[edit on 28/2/2006 by SportyMB]

Most of the Soldiers in Iraq live in 3-manned single-wide homes with heating; stoves; and hot water.

It's probably these troops who want out "by the end of the year". All my friends who have been there have spent their time hiding in a bunker when not on patrols and they are the ones who are fiercly loyal to the cause and they hate the "cowards" who come all "gung-ho" and then "turn their backs on Bush when they get shot at".

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Ok as a vet let me see..............(author strikes "thinker" pose) bullets flying at me or home in bed with wife? Hmmmm?

Every war vet would rather be at home..............or he doesn't belong in combat............

meaningless poll............

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
What would we consider victory in Iraq?

Is victory when the bad-guy cries uncle? Is it victory when the road side bombs stop? Is it victory when the Iraqi schools teach about the American led liberation? Is any of this even possible without a "clear and defined" enemy? Or any conflict against a group of people, rather than a nation?

If so, who is our bad guy here? Terrorism?

Seems pretty broad...which ones?

Having asked these questions to the few intelligent people on this thread will help me understand just when we can have our boys...my friends....home from this fiasco...if ever.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Clearly over 50 years since the Korean war there are still troops in S Korea. Still troops in Bonsia, etc, etc, etc.

When its over and the true source (iran) is demolished, maybe 50 years after that.....

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Ok as a vet let me see..............(author strikes "thinker" pose) bullets flying at me or home in bed with wife? Hmmmm?

Tough call isn't it.
I know from first hand experience that no soldier WANTS to be in a trench with bullets whizzing past, or driving down dark desert highways with the threat of a roadside bomb blowing them to pieces at any given time. If they tell you they do then they are liars. It is a matter of duty. Honor. Obligation to your brothers in the hole next to you. Nobody chooses to go to combat. Orders are orders, the brass don't really ask you if you want to go, you go where they say you will go. Your opinion about the politics involved are secondary and of no consequence.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join