It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PC 100% usage only on ATS

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Is this UP back again??? Our own Belgium waffle?

Long time no see UP,

My suggestion, try another browser, I don't have any problems on Opera or Firefox, or upgrade to IE7 (if your a sucker for stress)

Yes I'm back again. I've been without internet since mid january because of an ISP problem. I moved to my new appartment and this moved has been very confusing for my former ISP. Now they aren't confused anymore and I've a new one.

Now for the browser part, I've tryed ( and disliked ) Firefox & Opera. May be I will try an upgrade to IE7 but I've learned it wasn't often a good idea to upgrad a M$ software. I remember all the problems when SP2 has been released.

P.S : Don't call me a belgian waffle you kangaroo eater.
Skippy will have his revenge !

[edit on 28-2-2006 by ultra_phoenix]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Hehehe, how can you dislike Opera?
Its a wonderful program, unless you are a luddite of course and still drive a Model T Ford.
get with the technology and ditch IE.

BTW I am sure we still have the email from the brothel owner somewhere asking for payment for "services rendered", careful or it may slip into public domain (Just joking
)

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
when i click on ANY webpage my processor momentarily goes to 100 percent processor usage. I believe this is more a fault of windows than the page using all your processor. I can run a game minimised, run an avi file, play some music in winamp and run a word document all at the same time and still my processor runs at about 60 percent at most, but whenever i run a web browser my processor goes nuts according to windows.

I would say this is normal since I have noticed a 100% processor jump when clicking on links in every o/s and browser that I have ever used (going all the way back to the Win95 days). Usually it only stays at 100% while the page is rendered though and then stays at zero at least for me.

Originally posted by Saltman
Flash ads can definitely peg your processor especially if you have many windows or tabs open at once, though the severity depends on the specific browser/os you are using.

I'm using Firefox on Gentoo Linux. Doesn't bother me too much, anytime there's flash if I just scroll down to get it off the visible screen and then go back up, processor drops back down to zero even though the animation still plays.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Your not running that damn pita program are you...oh wait,..not pita...ummmm...seti. Yea, seti. That thing had my CPU running at 100% constantly. I deleted the program.

Wupy

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
shazzam, everybody's complaining about problems with the site tonight. Another post is mentioning something about black screens. Hmmm.

I don't seem to suffer any of this. My settings are as follows and as a general rule of thumb, I like to be in control of my computer, by allowing only limited access by adds, etc. when surfing:

I use Firefox period. No IE. IE is horrendous for not stopping intrusive add content, pop ups (even with the new IE popup blocker). Adds are ok. Thats how companies make the net work, but they are not ok when your computer speeds and ease of browsing is affected. Without proper controls, you can have spyware on your system in less than a minute no matter where you browse.

I use Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy at least a few times a week. Both are free spybot removal software programs.

I also have a bunch of other specialty protection programs, From DiamondCS.com.au.

You should only allow cookies for the site being visited. Turn others off.

Clear your caches every time you turn your browser off. I am so paranoid about it that I not only clear my cache, I also use a specialty erase program to clean out all the internet based logs, files, etc. Usually, I will pick up 40 to 80 files that all store specialty information, tags etc. that don't help you but help someone who is mining for data. Get rid of them.

Just for kicks, go up to sysinternals freeware and download the rootkitrevealer freebie. It won't do anything to your computer but will inform you of out of spec root level files (you cannot see them even with hidden files turned on) that don't match standard windows file profiles. This would be an indicator of a root level file that has been changed and may be being used as a trojan or hacker access. Be careful what you do with the information. Recommended for those who know how to not screw up the system files. But it will tell you at least if you have a problem.

Run Defrag once a month.

Lets see, . . . what else . . . hmmm.... be sure you are running a lightweight antivirus like ESET's NOD32 or something like that. Get rid of Symantec and MacAffee. Both those are too intrusive for my taste.

Make sure firewall is on.

Make sure you are careful about Windows updating. Not all are good. I found for example that one recent one will lock up purchased DVD movies after a couple of views. But in general, make sure you keep it all up to date re MS UPDATES.

Keeping a clean system takes time and effort, but if you don't do it your machine will be toast sooner rather than later.

md

[edit on 3/1/06 by dogberts not]

[edit on 3/1/06 by dogberts not]

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
hey guys it happening again.

the site is rendered I cam into the main forum part and my fans kicked in...check the process it is at 100%. So instead of ditching the process I tried coming to this post...still going like crazy man.

the only thing I have open today is this page. the ads that are on screen are 1 pop up and the one at top screensaver.com. Closed the pop up so it is not that.

Just to note for ppl.

I have no spyware/Virus that my software have picked up.

I am not running any seti or like wise software...laptop is clean (For developement)

I just opened the browser to come here.

I have IIS 5.0 running with .net 2.0 enabled (as my doing my honour project on this laptop)

My laptop was shut off all night and onyl started about hour ago.

Right Im away to close this browser and try again.

this is getting weird.

by the way it useing 100% usage and is currently using Mem Usage = 28,688K

[edit on 1-3-2006 by minority2000uk]

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Have you tried shutting IIS down and seeing if you still have the same problem?

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 08:51 AM
link   
nope lol but now i am fine I aint using all my cpu now strange only now using 5%.

only difference is that I didnt login this time....some reason I had to??

and the ads are different

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I think you are worrying far to much much about a simple windows error. When i take a look at the windows usage it often says it is using 100 percent of the processor when viewing webpages or even if i am viewing my hard drives but it isn't. I honestly belive this is a simple windows error. As someone else said when using windows 95 it did this. I have been using computers back to the commodore 64 and then windows 3.11 i think it was called and so i know windows can cause problems in all sorts of areas.

I wouldn't worry about it, if you have decent spyware protection, (ad aware and spybot being my favorites and i check my registry and system manually), decent antivirus protection (you said you use avast and that is a very bad virus protection by the way), then you should be ok.

A small note for anyone who needs it about virus protection, AVG, avast, pc cillin and varies other low endvirus checkers are truly rubbish. Seriously if you use these virus "solutions" then switch to something better. If a virus solution is free then it won't be any good, you get what you pay for. Wither use NOD32, Kaspersky or even norton or mcafee at a push as these are the best. Norton and mcafee use alot of system resources but it shouldn't slow any high end system noticeably and they are alot better than AVG or avast.

[edit on 1-3-2006 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
I think you are worrying far to much much about a simple windows error.

I'm with you on that IR.

FYI, several years ago, when TDS (Trojan Defense Software) was the only really effective way to stop trojans, I installed it over MacAffee on an HP desktop. My system crashed and I had to reinstall the OS. Talked with a MacAffee tech support guy who ADMITTED they put an incampatibility feature in their software that killed the OS. Was I pissed off or what?

If you are not a power user of your PC, ie., you are not using it for high end applications like solid modeling CAD, then the big AV programs (symantec, etc.) are ok. but I can't use them as they get in the way of my design work. The enterprise version run from the network by Symantec is ok though.

I don't know about the others, but Nod32 seems to work best for me and is supported by Leo LaPorte whatever thats worth.

posted on Mar, 2 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Ok ok if you are using something like CAD all the time then you need every bit of system memory you can get but not many users are doing that kinda thing. Also if you are doing alot of audio processing then that will also need tons of memory. Most people doing those kind of things already know that though.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I just thought I'd add something that I just noticed and didn't before.

The 100% CPU usage problem (at least for me) ONLY happens in Firefox 1.5. I'm using Firefox version 1.0.7 now and it's perfectly fine, but if I open up ATS under 1.5, window moving and resizing is horribly slow and the CPU usage is at 100% just sitting there.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join