It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1.300 Iraqis Killed in Past Week

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Washington Post

Grisly attacks and other sectarian violence unleashed by last week's bombing of a Shiite Muslim shrine have killed more than 1,300 Iraqis, making the past few days the deadliest of the war outside of major U.S. offensives, according to Baghdad's main morgue. The toll was more than three times higher than the figure previously reported by the U.S. military and the news media.

Hundreds of unclaimed dead lay at the morgue at midday Monday -- blood-caked men who had been shot, knifed, garroted or apparently suffocated by the plastic bags still over their heads. Many of the bodies were sprawled with their hands still bound -- and many of them had wound up at the morgue after what their families said was their abduction by the Mahdi Army, the Shiite militia of cleric Moqtada al-Sadr.

Morgue officials said they had logged more than 1,300 dead since Wednesday -- the day the Shiites' gold-domed Askariya shrine was bombed -- photographing, numbering and tagging the bodies as they came in over the nights and days of retaliatory raids.

Apparently the Death Toll of the Latest sectarian war in Iraq is far, FAR Bigger, then the Western Media try to show the World.

The number of people killed - mostly by the SHIITE MILITIAS - has risen to 1.300, while the US military and the news media have reported only 1/3 of that Number.

Apparently it is NOT Terrorism, if the Shiite Militias roam around the Baghdad killing the Sunni's - apparently that is something that is supposed to be Hidden and not shown to the world.

Meanwhile - Militias, armed gangs rule streets of Iraq.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Well, that said...

Is this even possible? I mean the "liberation" of Iraq. Can we still calm this mess down in the comming year and reinstate some sort of balance between the two sects, or are we just stirring the pot? This one isnt for your either Souljah...we all know where you stand...and I think I am beginning to agree.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Poor people,

Sad how wars have to be fought amoungst the civillian population. Regardless of what my opinions on the war are, innocent people dying should never be supported.

Homer

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
The number of people killed - mostly by the SHIITE MILITIAS

At least you admit that it isn't Americans doing the killing.
It's muslim on muslim terrorism. That's a start.
There may be hope for your yet.

has risen to 1.300

The Washington Post is the only news agency making this claim.
The only big online news agency (FOX, MSNBC, CNN, etc.) that
have a link to the Post story is MSNBC. The others either are
ignoring it, or have deemed it not to be accurate and therefore
are not going with it.

news media have reported only 1/3 of that Number

They are reporting 200-300. That's 1/5-1/6 of the Post number.

apparently that is something that is supposed
to be Hidden and not shown to the world.

Nothing in Iraq is being hidden to the world. There are too
many journalists from around the world to be able to hide
something like that if it were real. IF it's real, it will come out
and it will come out from more than just the Post.

Time will either prove this correct, or prove it to be just another
false story to sell papers. (NYT is famous for that)

Frankly - I don't trust the media any more than I trust politicians.
They all have an agenda. Who owns the Post? What, if any,
are their political bias's and donations?

Former Washington Post owner info - (now deceased)
www.wanttoknow.info...

A quick search of Google doesn't show any problems with the
author of your article. So we will see ....

[edit on 2/28/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   

something like that if it were real.

I don't think many journalists are roaming the streets of iraq (especially now). I think they are still in a safe zone waiting for the story to come to them.

Don't you think it's weird that cnn all of a sudden stops covering iraq the day after the civil war started and now has olympics and africa the entire day? Maybe they don't know wich way to spin it to favor the US? Heck, this IS their way of spinnig it in favor of the US.

Such a shame.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
It's muslim on muslim terrorism.

Let's not forget that Shia Militia's are free to roam the streets of Baghdad, fully armed, waving their RPG's and the AK's - and nobody does anything to stop them.

The Washington Post is the only news agency making this claim.
The only big online news agency (FOX, MSNBC, CNN, etc.) that
have a link to the Post story is MSNBC. The others either are
ignoring it, or have deemed it not to be accurate and therefore
are not going with it.

Nope.

There is also OTHER INTERNATIONAL NEWS NETWORKS.

BBC

On Tuesday, the Washington Post reported that the Iraqi police said 1,020 people had been killed in the sectarian violence that followed the bombing of the Shia shrine at Sammara on 22 February, but officials at Baghdad's morgue told the newspaper they had logged 1,300 deaths.

You have just mentioned US news - ofcourse putting Faux on the first place.

Intentionally?

What do you mean it is NOT ACCURATE?

There are 1300+ Bodies in the Morgues of Baghdad - what proof do you want more?

As Shroomery posted before - I do not think Journalists are running the streets of Iraq today. They are safe and sound in the Fortress known as the Green Zone.

IF you do not belive the Reality of this Factoids - maybe you should call up the City Morgues and ask them, whats up with this Exaggareted Bodycount.

OH wait - you can not confirm the news, since

THE US DO NOT DO BODYCOUNTY ON CIVILANS!

Frankly - I don't trust the media any more than I trust politicians.
They all have an agenda. Who owns the Post? What, if any,
are their political bias's and donations?

Who OWNZ FOX?!?

[edit on 28/2/06 by Souljah]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 08:21 AM
link   
flyerfan your posts without thought in all its entirety.

There is a war going on in Iraq, journalists cannot go where they like - The forces of both sides control tightly their areas. Journalists get given what they have in news briefs given daily by the commanders on the ground. Have you seen any footage from frelance journo's in Iraq? no? why not? because there are none thats why.

My cousins with the British Forces in the south (Her second stint) and they have an embedded journalist team with them. She gets to veto what goes in and out of the satellite feed back to the UK according to a set of guide lines issued from the UK goverment.

You only get to hear about what they want you to know.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   
FlyersFan:

Unfortunately not the case. Journalists can't travel in many places in the country due to security concerns. Heck, some IRAQIS can't travel in many places due to security concerns.

The United States has a good tight grip on any news coming out of Iraq, and the only stuff that usually sneaks through is through the foreign press, or if somebody catches something on video and it ends up on the net. Tons of Iraqi blogs though.

Sorry, it's kind of a big paste-job, but it's all relevant, I believe.

www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2006/01/20/MNG7TGQBA01.DTL

So far, at least 36 journalists have been abducted in Iraq; five of those, including American freelance reporter Steven Vincent, have been executed. In all, 60 journalists have been killed in Iraq since the war began, the Committee to Protect Journalists reports.

"Simply leaving your hotel to try to go out and report in Iraq is dangerous and possibly life-threatening," Cooper said.

Western reporters in Baghdad take measures to protect themselves. Some opt to travel to Iraq only "embedded" with the U.S. or coalition forces, which provide protection but also usually limit the journalists' range to military operations and other coalition troops' activities.

A reporter embedded with U.S. troops in Iraq can follow a unit for any amount of time; embeds usually range from a day to a month. Most of what the soldiers say and do is on the record, but journalists are not allowed to report about pending military operations. They also are not allowed to report the names of dead and wounded American troops until the military notifies the victims' families of the victims.

Embedded reporters and photographers take the same risks as the units they are embedded with -- mortar fire, driving on roads laden with bombs and dodging snipers' bullets. They are not allowed to carry weapons.

Embedding allows journalists to witness raids and battles, but it restricts their ability to report the Iraqi side of the story. For example, reporters cannot stay behind a few minutes longer to interview an Iraqi family after a raid, and reporters who don't speak Arabic have to rely on military translators to interact with Iraqis. Although many Iraqis understand the difference between soldiers and the journalists who accompany them -- mostly because journalists wear civilian clothes and body armor that is different in color and shape than the body armor American soldiers wear -- they are often leery of speaking to reporters through military translators in front of U.S. troops.

Most journalists who chose to stay in Baghdad on their own fortified their hotels and compounds. They bought or rented armored cars and limited their travel to brief sorties, often with security chase cars, usually with bodyguards, and mostly to the heavily fortified Green Zone, which American forces control. Staying with Iraqi friends, or even visiting them in their homes, became dangerous. Not only were the reporters at risk from insurgents, so were the Iraqis for socializing with Westerners.

Borzou Daragahi, a former Chronicle Foreign Service correspondent who now reports for the Los Angeles Times, said he would not leave his hotel for longer than one hour when he lived in Baghdad last year.

Cooper said many reporters who live in Baghdad find trying to report "frustrating" because it is too risky to go out and gather information for their stories. American journalists often use their Iraqi translators to report from the streets where it is too dangerous for foreign reporters to venture.

[edit on 28-2-2006 by Jakomo]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Thanks guys. I was gonna roast her after that post, but it seems you beat me to it.

I'm off to film some civilian life in Iraq. Bet I'm dead before midnight. Thats your free journalism. The only way you are gonna get some truely unbiased reporting otta Vietraq is if Rambo himself takes a helmet cam in.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Let's not forget that Shia Militia's are free to roam the streets of Baghdad, fully armed, waving their RPG's and the AK's - and nobody does anything to stop them.

Hmm ok, what would you like to happen ? Have the US drop a few 2000 pounders on the armed parades wiping out 10 civilians for every armed shiite ?
Is that what you're advocating ?

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1

Hmm ok, what would you like to happen ? Have the US drop a few 2000 pounders on the armed parades wiping out 10 civilians for every armed shiite ?
Is that what you're advocating ?

I dunno...maybe the point is 'so much for democracy/nation building'...whatever it was called.

Its such a shame isn't it. Those poor people! I know its early days for the new Iraq, but things don't look good, but then again, I'm sure somebody in authority, somewhere, could have predicted a civil war, given the historic sectarian/tribal nature of the region.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Y'all got FlyersFan, but I still wanna pile it on.

She is apparently unaware of the FAKE news that the Pentagon is putting out from Iraq. Therefore, I'm POSITIVE she's clueless on the fact that they're doing it HERE in the US as well.

Free journalists in Iraq?

I guess she missed how the journalists are being killed and shot at, and not all by the "insurgents."

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Like the Italian journalist the American Army tried to execute after reporting what really happened? Or the journalists who reported on the Napalm and Mustard gas and other banned weapons used by America in Fallujah killing 100,000+ civillians that was hush hush by American media? And Bush first denied it until video proof was everywhere so then he admitted to it?

Or, just two days ago, Sean Hannity STILL going on about all the nuclear weapons in Iraq and how the reason we didn't find them is because France and Germany helped Saddam hide them.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevinS
Like the Italian journalist the American Army tried to execute after reporting what really happened?

Hmm, if they wanted her dead she would have been killed
Doesn't make too much sense to have the opportunity of killing her, then not following through does it. Ridiculous allegation.

Or the journalists who reported on the Napalm and Mustard gas and other banned weapons used by America in Fallujah killing 100,000+ civillians that was hush hush by American media? And Bush first denied it until video proof was everywhere so then he admitted to it?

LMAO, talk about complete BS
Mustard gas eh ? Care to elaborate or is that the first chemical weapon which came to mind for you to post. Mustard gas was never used and would have no military utility in Fallujah anyway.
Other banned weapons, what weapons are these, gee this wouldn't be another of your throw away comments would it ? The only controversial weapon used in Fallujah was White Phosphorus, which has been extensively covered in other threads on ATS. I suggest you read them - because you have a complete lack of knowlege.
Also, are you implying that 100 000 people were killed in Fallujah ? If so, you are seriously misinformed. As above do some reading.

You comments are incredibly ignorant, so much for your credibility.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shroomery
Don't you think it's weird ... the day after the civil war started

Civil war?

What I think is weird is that you are calling an uptick in
violence a 'civil war'. If it really were a civil war, there would
be MUCH more death and destruction.

This is NOT Civil war. Not yet anyways.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:26 AM
link   
I see that FlyersFan is taking the Words out of the Mouth of mister president himself.

Reuters - Bush denies Iraq heading toward civil war

resident George W. Bush, hit by polls showing America's support for the Iraq war at an all-time low, denied on Tuesday Iraq was sliding into civil war, despite the worst sectarian strife since a U.S. invasion.

The decline in Bush's public approval ratings came as he told Iraqis they faced a choice between "chaos or unity" amid violence that has dented U.S. hopes for the stability needed to pave the way for a U.S. troop withdrawal.

At least 60 people were killed in Baghdad on Tuesday in the latest in a series of deadly attacks following the bombing of a major Shi'ite mosque last week.

Asked what Washington would do if civil war broke out in Iraq, Bush told ABC News: "I don't buy your premise that there's going to be a civil war."

He said he had spoken to leaders of all Iraqi sects and "I heard loud and clear that they understand that they're going to choose unification, and we're going to help them do so."

Sure mister President.

Apparently you are WRONG.

Not that "there is is GOING to be a Civil War" - it has already STARTED!

Meanwhile, in the Real World:

At Least 75 Dead in String of Attacks in Iraq

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13
I was gonna roast her after that post,

Bring it on junior.

First of all ... I DID NOT say that the report was innaccurate.
In fact I said that a quick search of the author revealed nothing
bias. You people really ought to try actually reading what
I write. Otherwise you post silly responses.

You yahoos didn't notice that Souljah said that the Western
news was reporting 1/3 the level of deaths that occurred.
I said that if the levels were correct, then the reports were
were more like 1/5 or 1/6 less which not only backs Souljah
but is actually HIGHER than Souljahs. You people need to learn to read.

What I said was that it was the only source reporting it at the
time was the Post and that we should GIVE IT SOME
TIME to see if others picked it up. Souljahs beef was that
it wasn't being reported in the West. That it was being
hidden on purpose. Well, I WAS RIGHT (as usual)... after
a few hours most of the networks were reporting that the
Post had interviewed the fellow in charge of the Morgue and
that he claimed 1300 deaths.

The only problem with this 'story' is that none of the networks
went and did any back up work. The 1300 dead from civil violence
story is based upon one reporter interviewing the head of a morgue.
We have no pictures, no colaberating evidence, and no other
networks or journalists going to the morgue to interview people
or gather evidence.

The journalist who wrote the story is highly credible.
It would have been nice to see some back up from others
and a check into the head of the morgue to see if he was
telling the truth.

[edit on 3/1/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
Y'all got FlyersFan,

Not even close.

but I still wanna pile it on.

Well... you certainly are piling 'it' on.

I guess she missed how the journalists are being
killed and shot at, and not all by the "insurgents."

Got a credible news source that has dead journalists with
American bullets in them, and journalists who are survivors
of American assassination attempts? hmmm?

Yes, you certainly are piling 'it' on now, aren't you??

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Not that "there is is GOING to be a Civil War" - it has already STARTED!

Time will tell if this is the START or not.

There is an uptick in violence. However at this time
this is NOT a Civil War. As I said, if it were, there
would be a whole lot more death and destruction.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Flyer Fan said, "Nothing in Iraq is being hidden to the world."

Junior? How old do you think I am? The junior is the one who honestly thinks we are being given the real story out of that mess. The junior is the one who buys everything this administration...wait....any administration...feeds without question.

I dont mean to attack personally, but "junior?" Kinda rude seeing how as you are the one with your head in the sand playing ostrich.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join