It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Topographical Map of Atlantis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Here's a little topographical map I of Atlantis I cooked up using fake colors and bathymetric data on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge:

[edit on 28-2-2006 by Enkidu]

[edit on 28-2-2006 by Enkidu]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Whats the general size of that ? If it was near the Atlantic ridge it would be right where Plato said it was.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
A little bit of info on where you got this would be helpful.

What information did you use to create this map?

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
You can get the data from NOAA, North Atlantic bathymetric topographical data.

Here's a link. There are others.

www.ngdc.noaa.gov...

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The land mass itself could be approximately the size of Spain, depending on how much costal plain you want to give it. It sits right on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, due west from Gibraltar, just where Plato said it was.

Here's another take on it, with minimal costal plains. As you can see, the northern and western plains would be good growing areas for wheat. Possible microclimates in the volcanic mountains where you could grow tropical fruits and veggies. Easy travel to Europe and Africa by sea. Nice, temperate climate due to the Gulf Stream powered by the Wisconsin North American glaciation.

Once that glaciation goes away, though (approx. 10,000 years ago), the loss of weight on the continents would drop the ridge back down while at the same time raising sea levels. Not a good scenario for the Atlaneans, that's for sure.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Plato: "Critias"

The whole country was said by him to be very lofty and precipitous on the side of the sea, but the country immediately about and surrounding the city was a level plain, itself surrounded by mountains which descended towards the sea; it was smooth and even, and of an oblong shape, extending in one direction three thousand stadia, but across the centre inland it was two thousand stadia. This part of the island looked towards the south, and was sheltered from the north. The surrounding mountains were celebrated for their number and size and beauty, far beyond any which still exist, having in them also many wealthy villages of country folk, and rivers, and lakes, and meadows supplying food enough for every animal, wild or tame, and much wood of various sorts, abundant for each and every kind of work.

So my map needs a little adjustment. How about this:

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Interesting.

This site is also using similar data (i could be wrong) to come up with a map of where atlantis could be as well.

www.was-this-atlantis.info...

Do the locations for your atlantis and the atlantis on the web site co-incide?

Just some info for comparison, the site is not my work, just found it surfing.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Do the locations for your atlantis and the atlantis on the web site co-incide?

Pretty much, although the website extends the landmass out in all directions, particularly to the south along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. All of that would depend on the sea levels and ice cover during the end of the last big glaciation.

It would be interesting to get some decent, high-resolution scans of the sea floor in that area. Something sharp enough to see any major constructions (pyramids, roads, etc.).

I imagine it's been done, but where would the images be? I bet the NSA would have something interesting to look at.

Anyway, if Atlantis was anywhere, that's probably where it would have been.

new topics

top topics

join