It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Adoption and the 2006 Ballot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 09:56 PM
link   
As I understand it, there are plans to connect a vote on gay adoption with the midterm election ballot. By this I mean that when people go to vote on the mid-term election, they will also have the option to vote on the adoption issue at the same time. Will this galvanize republican/right-wing voters to get out and vote?

I believe a similar thing was done in the 2004 election by allowing people to vote for or against gay marriage at the same time as they voted for their choice of president.

Should this be allowed? Is it unreasonable manipulation of the democratic process?

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by rizla

Should this be allowed? Is it unreasonable manipulation of the democratic process?

Well, REFUSING to let them vote on a specific piece of legislation doesn't sound very democratic either.

I suspect this is an artifact of your state's ballot, since such issues are state, rather than national issues.

The gay-marriage vote in texas wasn't on the 04 ballot. It came last year.

The only way to get stuff on the ballot is to either have the legislature approve it, or have a signature drive. Either way, the process ought to be the same for ALL bills.

To suggest that some be prevented from the ballot, when the process was followed, is pretty anti-democratic, and the tactic of someone who doesn't trust the public's self-governance.

posted on Feb, 27 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I know, so a democrat has made a bill that makes it illegal for Republicans to adopt. Expect to see it on the 2006 ballot.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   
To answer the original question, it absolutely should be allowed, as long as it was done democratically. Hopefully it will call out not just those against gay adoption, but those for it as well.

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
and the tactic of someone who doesn't trust the public's self-governance.

I trust the public's self governance all right, just not the people who are counting the votes.

I know, so a democrat has made a bill that makes it illegal for Republicans to adopt.

Now that one, I'd be temped to vote for. (Just kidding, just kidding!) But it does make as much sense as the anti-gay adoption bill.

new topics

top topics

join